STD Tuning Drivetrain Starter cable upgrade

Starter cable upgrade

Starter cable upgrade

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-09-2008, 10:30 PM #1
I've had some good 2/0 gauge battery cable taking up space in my toolbox for almost 2 years now. The wiring for the alternator needed to be redone (the wires were loose in their connectors) so I figured what the heck, I might as well do it since I'm there. I also took the time to remove the remnants of my A/C hoses and do some rust prevention for the battery tray and the area under it.

[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->LMN 0-2 battery cables compare.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=3]<!-- ia3 -->LMN 0-2 battery cables ground.jpg<!-- ia3 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->LMN 0-2 battery cables done.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

I know its massive overkill and the starter is still limited by the small-ish jumper from the relay to the motor, but $free is hard to beat on a Sunday with nothing better to do. Starting is a little quicker and the voltage at idle stays steady at 14.5v.

[attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->LMN 0-2 battery cables idle volts.jpg<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]
Attached Files
Image(s)

ForcedInduction
11-09-2008, 10:30 PM #1

I've had some good 2/0 gauge battery cable taking up space in my toolbox for almost 2 years now. The wiring for the alternator needed to be redone (the wires were loose in their connectors) so I figured what the heck, I might as well do it since I'm there. I also took the time to remove the remnants of my A/C hoses and do some rust prevention for the battery tray and the area under it.

[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->LMN 0-2 battery cables compare.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=3]<!-- ia3 -->LMN 0-2 battery cables ground.jpg<!-- ia3 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->LMN 0-2 battery cables done.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

I know its massive overkill and the starter is still limited by the small-ish jumper from the relay to the motor, but $free is hard to beat on a Sunday with nothing better to do. Starting is a little quicker and the voltage at idle stays steady at 14.5v.

[attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->LMN 0-2 battery cables idle volts.jpg<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]

Attached Files
Image(s)

winmutt
bitbanger

11-10-2008, 05:56 PM #2
I used to run that stuff for my speakers back in the day. If I was going to run new batt wire I would move the batt to the trunk where it belongs (Something bmw does right).

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
11-10-2008, 05:56 PM #2

I used to run that stuff for my speakers back in the day. If I was going to run new batt wire I would move the batt to the trunk where it belongs (Something bmw does right).

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-24-2008, 01:47 PM #3
Looks good! I used 2ga from my alternator-battery connection as well :mrgreen:

'Overkill' allows the system to properly operate even if the wires were to corrode in half(As if anyone who would take the time to install 2ga wiring would let their wires corrode; but that's besides the point)

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
11-24-2008, 01:47 PM #3

Looks good! I used 2ga from my alternator-battery connection as well :mrgreen:

'Overkill' allows the system to properly operate even if the wires were to corrode in half(As if anyone who would take the time to install 2ga wiring would let their wires corrode; but that's besides the point)

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average