STD Maintenance General 300SD Chrome Window Trim - How to Remove

300SD Chrome Window Trim - How to Remove

300SD Chrome Window Trim - How to Remove

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mahone Bay
Naturally-aspirated

12-19-2011, 02:23 AM #1
Hello,

I have a very tiny water leak from the upper windshield area, drivers side. It isn't caused by the sun roof drains, these are clear. It appears to be the sealing between the glass and the sheet metal. The car spent most of it's life in Texas so I assume some drying/shrinkage of the sealing. I don't want to go prying on the chrome trim until I know how it is attached. The Service Manual doesn't show any details of this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and take care,
PK
Mahone Bay
12-19-2011, 02:23 AM #1

Hello,

I have a very tiny water leak from the upper windshield area, drivers side. It isn't caused by the sun roof drains, these are clear. It appears to be the sealing between the glass and the sheet metal. The car spent most of it's life in Texas so I assume some drying/shrinkage of the sealing. I don't want to go prying on the chrome trim until I know how it is attached. The Service Manual doesn't show any details of this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and take care,
PK

MB TECH
GT2559V

12-19-2011, 10:10 AM #2
push the winshield seal out from the inside of the car, removing the glass, seal and trim all in one piece.
then you can seperate the chrome from the seal. If you try to just take the chrome out it will bend.

1979 450SEL 6.9 - stock

1960 220SE
111 tube chassis car/undergoing full restoration. Body work in progress. Merging with a 1996 S500 (119 engine, 722.6 trans, and both subframes)

2005 S55 AMG - stock

1999 SLK230 Kompressor - stock

2006 SLK55 AMG - stock

MB TECH
12-19-2011, 10:10 AM #2

push the winshield seal out from the inside of the car, removing the glass, seal and trim all in one piece.
then you can seperate the chrome from the seal. If you try to just take the chrome out it will bend.

1979 450SEL 6.9 - stock

1960 220SE
111 tube chassis car/undergoing full restoration. Body work in progress. Merging with a 1996 S500 (119 engine, 722.6 trans, and both subframes)

2005 S55 AMG - stock

1999 SLK230 Kompressor - stock

2006 SLK55 AMG - stock

Mahone Bay
Naturally-aspirated

12-19-2011, 01:16 PM #3
(12-19-2011, 10:10 AM)MB TECH push the winshield seal out from the inside of the car, removing the glass, seal and trim all in one piece.

Hello MB Tech,

Thanks for the quick reply - appreciated.

I was hoping I didn't have to do this. Today I discovered the source of the leak in the trunk - yes, window seal. Pity, it is such a tidy car but as I understand it, the leaking in the trunk is a common issue (corrosion around the window frame). Fortunately I don't have any rust showing. Doing the rear window may not be a major pain as the rear window defogger is not functioning. Mind you I haven't tested the circuit up to the window connections but I suspect it is the window.

Thank you and take care,
PK
Mahone Bay
12-19-2011, 01:16 PM #3

(12-19-2011, 10:10 AM)MB TECH push the winshield seal out from the inside of the car, removing the glass, seal and trim all in one piece.

Hello MB Tech,

Thanks for the quick reply - appreciated.

I was hoping I didn't have to do this. Today I discovered the source of the leak in the trunk - yes, window seal. Pity, it is such a tidy car but as I understand it, the leaking in the trunk is a common issue (corrosion around the window frame). Fortunately I don't have any rust showing. Doing the rear window may not be a major pain as the rear window defogger is not functioning. Mind you I haven't tested the circuit up to the window connections but I suspect it is the window.

Thank you and take care,
PK

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average