STD Other Projects Total Restoration Time

Total Restoration Time

Total Restoration Time

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-07-2011, 01:03 PM #1
Odd question but here it is:

Has anyone used a car rotissier with a W123 chassis? Will the bolts that hold the front and rear bumper hold the weight of the car without causing any body damage or issues ? I am talking about the 3 "bolts" on each side that hold up the bumpers. The car is going to be completely stripped down to just the shell. Does anyone have an idea what the weight will be for the shell ? I will need to do this so that after the car is stripped, it can be painted 360 degrees. Thanks in advance.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
11-07-2011, 01:03 PM #1

Odd question but here it is:

Has anyone used a car rotissier with a W123 chassis? Will the bolts that hold the front and rear bumper hold the weight of the car without causing any body damage or issues ? I am talking about the 3 "bolts" on each side that hold up the bumpers. The car is going to be completely stripped down to just the shell. Does anyone have an idea what the weight will be for the shell ? I will need to do this so that after the car is stripped, it can be painted 360 degrees. Thanks in advance.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

11-07-2011, 04:47 PM #2
If you are removing the entire drivetrain, I would say definitely. I have seen a 1964 Malibu (much heavier) with the total of 12 bolts holding it. I believe they were 1/2" bolts.

Ed
yankneck696
11-07-2011, 04:47 PM #2

If you are removing the entire drivetrain, I would say definitely. I have seen a 1964 Malibu (much heavier) with the total of 12 bolts holding it. I believe they were 1/2" bolts.

Ed

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

11-07-2011, 07:46 PM #3
I agree. Removing the drivetrain, plus gutting out the interior, and removing the front suspension/rear subframe would be fine for that.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
11-07-2011, 07:46 PM #3

I agree. Removing the drivetrain, plus gutting out the interior, and removing the front suspension/rear subframe would be fine for that.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

RonB
TA 0301

11-14-2011, 04:00 AM #4
(11-07-2011, 01:03 PM)Greazzer Odd question but here it is:

Not a W123 but I have a W126 up on the rotisserie right now. I have bolted the rear swivel to the rear bumper bolts but the fronts are not strong enough ( designed to collapse in a accident) so i did what i saw on a German car, I built a bracket that bolts to the engine mount points.
It passes through the front of the car .with a support piece under the chassis rails. No need to drill extra holes in the either. A W123 is the same as a W116 chassis /floor pan and a W126 is pretty much the same but has deeper front rails.
The shells are not that heavy actually ,even a W126 ( still have all the suspension in mine) doesn't weigh too much.

RonB
11-14-2011, 04:00 AM #4

(11-07-2011, 01:03 PM)Greazzer Odd question but here it is:

Not a W123 but I have a W126 up on the rotisserie right now. I have bolted the rear swivel to the rear bumper bolts but the fronts are not strong enough ( designed to collapse in a accident) so i did what i saw on a German car, I built a bracket that bolts to the engine mount points.
It passes through the front of the car .with a support piece under the chassis rails. No need to drill extra holes in the either. A W123 is the same as a W116 chassis /floor pan and a W126 is pretty much the same but has deeper front rails.
The shells are not that heavy actually ,even a W126 ( still have all the suspension in mine) doesn't weigh too much.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average