STD Tuning Engine New guy.. some questions.

New guy.. some questions.

New guy.. some questions.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

claytonsmith
Unregistered

04-05-2009, 06:03 PM #1
Hello to all. I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm by no means new to cars but I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to dealing with diesels.

Now, I've been seriously curious about w123s for some time now. I've owned my fair share of cars but a new job has me looking to purchase a new (to me) car in the near future. I've also been attracted to diesels for some time now.. so the obvious thing to do is to get myself a a Benz. I'm looking into getting a turbo 300D. My friend just purchased a 83 240D and the lack of forced induction makes the car painfully slow/moderately dangerous in my opinion. I figure a 300d would be a good compromise of reliability, fuel efficiency, comfort, and highway speed capability.

Now, my actual question is, when turbo upgrades are approached how is the issue of fuel management handled with these cars? I'm a honda guy through and through ( no not a ricer) and the tuning ability of those cars is endless with people having written free programs that tune the factory ECU with some modifications... BUT seeing how these cars have..no spark and thus no spark control...and no computer controlled fuel delivery...when you upgrade to a larger turbo how do you handle precise addition of fuel? Or are diesel motors much more forgiving regarding that? Is it sort of a " that looks close enough" kind of science or is there a way of "turning up" the injection pump precisely using EGTs????

I'm shooting in the dark here...Please feel free to share any info you may have. It would be greatly appreciated. I've also downloaded the "diesel necronomikon" so Ill be flipping through that as i get the chance.

Thanks in advance!

-Clayton
claytonsmith
04-05-2009, 06:03 PM #1

Hello to all. I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm by no means new to cars but I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to dealing with diesels.

Now, I've been seriously curious about w123s for some time now. I've owned my fair share of cars but a new job has me looking to purchase a new (to me) car in the near future. I've also been attracted to diesels for some time now.. so the obvious thing to do is to get myself a a Benz. I'm looking into getting a turbo 300D. My friend just purchased a 83 240D and the lack of forced induction makes the car painfully slow/moderately dangerous in my opinion. I figure a 300d would be a good compromise of reliability, fuel efficiency, comfort, and highway speed capability.

Now, my actual question is, when turbo upgrades are approached how is the issue of fuel management handled with these cars? I'm a honda guy through and through ( no not a ricer) and the tuning ability of those cars is endless with people having written free programs that tune the factory ECU with some modifications... BUT seeing how these cars have..no spark and thus no spark control...and no computer controlled fuel delivery...when you upgrade to a larger turbo how do you handle precise addition of fuel? Or are diesel motors much more forgiving regarding that? Is it sort of a " that looks close enough" kind of science or is there a way of "turning up" the injection pump precisely using EGTs????

I'm shooting in the dark here...Please feel free to share any info you may have. It would be greatly appreciated. I've also downloaded the "diesel necronomikon" so Ill be flipping through that as i get the chance.

Thanks in advance!

-Clayton

300SD81
GT2559V

04-05-2009, 06:31 PM #2
As far as my understanding goes, there is no "precise" addition of fuel necessary. Since the diesel runs with 100% of the available air going into the cylinder at all times, and the amount of fuel injected is controlled by the accelerator (and limited by the IP). Basically, turn the pump up until it smokes and/or EGTs get too high.

Lets wait for one of the experts before you do anything though...
This post was last modified: 04-05-2009, 06:32 PM by 300SD81.

Ich liebe meine Autos!

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | 156K Miles | 2nd Owner | EGR Disabled [Removal Pending] | ALDA Removed | Straight Pipes | GT2256V??? | Laser Interceptor | Engine swap over summer, hopefully with GT2256V attached...

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | Odo Stopped at 160K (at least 50K more) | EGR Disabled | ALDA All The Way Out | Straight pipes | FM-870 Remote Start Alarm System | B100 Biodiesel | AC Fixed x2 | Trunk crushed in Sad | Retired to garage.

Excessive speeding? It ain't excessive till I redline!
300SD81
04-05-2009, 06:31 PM #2

As far as my understanding goes, there is no "precise" addition of fuel necessary. Since the diesel runs with 100% of the available air going into the cylinder at all times, and the amount of fuel injected is controlled by the accelerator (and limited by the IP). Basically, turn the pump up until it smokes and/or EGTs get too high.

Lets wait for one of the experts before you do anything though...

Ich liebe meine Autos!

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | 156K Miles | 2nd Owner | EGR Disabled [Removal Pending] | ALDA Removed | Straight Pipes | GT2256V??? | Laser Interceptor | Engine swap over summer, hopefully with GT2256V attached...

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | Odo Stopped at 160K (at least 50K more) | EGR Disabled | ALDA All The Way Out | Straight pipes | FM-870 Remote Start Alarm System | B100 Biodiesel | AC Fixed x2 | Trunk crushed in Sad | Retired to garage.

Excessive speeding? It ain't excessive till I redline!

ALLDiesel
Unregistered

04-06-2009, 04:29 PM #3
crank that pump right up. Just don't let it melt down. I changed my cummins pump timing to 3/4 and it makes good power and doesnt even get that hot unless pulling. In order to burn this fuel i have a turbo running 52psi
ALLDiesel
04-06-2009, 04:29 PM #3

crank that pump right up. Just don't let it melt down. I changed my cummins pump timing to 3/4 and it makes good power and doesnt even get that hot unless pulling. In order to burn this fuel i have a turbo running 52psi

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average