STD Maintenance General Runs rough after reinstalling IP

Runs rough after reinstalling IP

Runs rough after reinstalling IP

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rolfi
My 300D is Onion-yellow!

10-25-2011, 04:49 PM #1
More problems, ohyes.

The IP was removed from the engine for turning up fuel delivery. When the mechanic reinstalled it, the car ran rough as hell when hot. As soon as it got cold, it wouldn't start. I was helping him out today, pulling it once again and reinstalling it on (what I believe is) the correct stroke.

Well, it starts.. And it runs, with less knocking than it have ever had.
The problem is that it still runs kind of rough. Any ideas?

24 BTDC and the marks on the IP set correctly. The system was bled while it was running, so that shouldn't be the problem either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9XcHwQIAE

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but both me and the mechanic has very little experience with diesels.

-rolfi

1980 Mercedes-Benz 300D (US-spec)
+BMW E12, E21, E28, E30 and E32
rolfi
10-25-2011, 04:49 PM #1

More problems, ohyes.

The IP was removed from the engine for turning up fuel delivery. When the mechanic reinstalled it, the car ran rough as hell when hot. As soon as it got cold, it wouldn't start. I was helping him out today, pulling it once again and reinstalling it on (what I believe is) the correct stroke.

Well, it starts.. And it runs, with less knocking than it have ever had.
The problem is that it still runs kind of rough. Any ideas?

24 BTDC and the marks on the IP set correctly. The system was bled while it was running, so that shouldn't be the problem either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9XcHwQIAE

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but both me and the mechanic has very little experience with diesels.

-rolfi

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-25-2011, 07:06 PM #2
Reach out to Mr. Diesel Meiken !

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
10-25-2011, 07:06 PM #2

Reach out to Mr. Diesel Meiken !

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

Hercules
GT2559V

10-26-2011, 01:38 PM #3
Might ck. injector spray pattern, debris can inter any time lines are off,and metal can chip off inside line if any bending was done. Not to get stuck on just pump thinking,rule out all poss. things,Motor mounts,valve adj.etc.( Kinda rough) means checking all things that have not be inspected for a while. Good luck.
Hercules
10-26-2011, 01:38 PM #3

Might ck. injector spray pattern, debris can inter any time lines are off,and metal can chip off inside line if any bending was done. Not to get stuck on just pump thinking,rule out all poss. things,Motor mounts,valve adj.etc.( Kinda rough) means checking all things that have not be inspected for a while. Good luck.

rolfi
My 300D is Onion-yellow!

10-27-2011, 04:11 AM #4
(10-26-2011, 01:38 PM)Hercules Might ck. injector spray pattern, debris can inter any time lines are off,and metal can chip off inside line if any bending was done. Not to get stuck on just pump thinking,rule out all poss. things,Motor mounts,valve adj.etc.( Kinda rough) means checking all things that have not be inspected for a while. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.
Before reinstalling the lines, I always run through some high pressure brake cleaner, and afterwards some high pressure (and very thin) lube-oil, just in case any debris has entered the lines when they have been off.

It ran great before the IP was removed, and valve adjustment, motor mounts etc. doesn't normally get alot worse overnight.

I suspect the problem is related to timing..
Just to be sure... Which stroke is the correct one when reinstalling the IP?

rolfi
10-27-2011, 04:11 AM #4

(10-26-2011, 01:38 PM)Hercules Might ck. injector spray pattern, debris can inter any time lines are off,and metal can chip off inside line if any bending was done. Not to get stuck on just pump thinking,rule out all poss. things,Motor mounts,valve adj.etc.( Kinda rough) means checking all things that have not be inspected for a while. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.
Before reinstalling the lines, I always run through some high pressure brake cleaner, and afterwards some high pressure (and very thin) lube-oil, just in case any debris has entered the lines when they have been off.

It ran great before the IP was removed, and valve adjustment, motor mounts etc. doesn't normally get alot worse overnight.

I suspect the problem is related to timing..
Just to be sure... Which stroke is the correct one when reinstalling the IP?

Hercules
GT2559V

10-27-2011, 04:03 PM #5
24 degrees btdc power stroke,(both cam lobes up)#1cyl.
Hercules
10-27-2011, 04:03 PM #5

24 degrees btdc power stroke,(both cam lobes up)#1cyl.

rolfi
My 300D is Onion-yellow!

11-03-2011, 05:28 AM #6
Thank you lots!
One injector was really bad, and another was somewhat bad. Replaced both, and now it runs smooooth Big Grin

And now it leaks oil... Quite alot, actually. Have to check it out later today...

I'm not too excited about the though of maybe having to rebuild that antique tractor engine...

-rolfi

rolfi
11-03-2011, 05:28 AM #6

Thank you lots!
One injector was really bad, and another was somewhat bad. Replaced both, and now it runs smooooth Big Grin

And now it leaks oil... Quite alot, actually. Have to check it out later today...

I'm not too excited about the though of maybe having to rebuild that antique tractor engine...

-rolfi

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average