STD Other Projects Smashed Front End - Latch your Hood ?

Smashed Front End - Latch your Hood ?

Smashed Front End - Latch your Hood ?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-22-2011, 11:25 AM #1
Thank goodness for insurance ! ? Apparently, the hood latch did something and my hood went flying up and smashed my window, bent my hood, hood hinges, "flared my fenders", dented my cowl, and some miscellaneous stuff to include cracking my crack free dash. This may end up totaling O'le Bestsy, but this is a comprehensive claim and not collision. I got a total lecture on insurance last night where the two young ladies on the phone basically told me that if I had collision (this was not a collision claim), I would get about $1,600 for the car and the insurance company would take my car. Nice. Sounds like America.

Any ideas of the best windshiled glass? Can this be removed at some future day if I go with eventually scraping the old girl? I have a totally rust free 300D 1985 which needs a total renovation, EG soda blasting, paint job, et cet. Any thoughts from the forum?

I was in the middle of a half dozen major projects / modifications, and now this. What the @#$%^$%^% ????
Attached Files
Image(s)

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
10-22-2011, 11:25 AM #1

Thank goodness for insurance ! ? Apparently, the hood latch did something and my hood went flying up and smashed my window, bent my hood, hood hinges, "flared my fenders", dented my cowl, and some miscellaneous stuff to include cracking my crack free dash. This may end up totaling O'le Bestsy, but this is a comprehensive claim and not collision. I got a total lecture on insurance last night where the two young ladies on the phone basically told me that if I had collision (this was not a collision claim), I would get about $1,600 for the car and the insurance company would take my car. Nice. Sounds like America.

Any ideas of the best windshiled glass? Can this be removed at some future day if I go with eventually scraping the old girl? I have a totally rust free 300D 1985 which needs a total renovation, EG soda blasting, paint job, et cet. Any thoughts from the forum?

I was in the middle of a half dozen major projects / modifications, and now this. What the @#$%^$%^% ????

Attached Files
Image(s)

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

vstef_is
GT2256V

10-22-2011, 12:20 PM #2
I had the EXACT thing happen just before I left for the European Road Trip! Plus a broken headlamp! Finding these two beauties is what kept me from changing the rear seal on the tranny - I had to forfeit changing that - thinking it doesnt leak much...

It cost about $70 for a new windshield (including mounting it) and I got a SH headlamp. I still have the small dents, but oh well!

I'd say go with fixing it - you can prolly scrap a good windshield, and fix the dents.

1982 s123 300TD TurboDiesel (US Spec) in France
vstef_is
10-22-2011, 12:20 PM #2

I had the EXACT thing happen just before I left for the European Road Trip! Plus a broken headlamp! Finding these two beauties is what kept me from changing the rear seal on the tranny - I had to forfeit changing that - thinking it doesnt leak much...

It cost about $70 for a new windshield (including mounting it) and I got a SH headlamp. I still have the small dents, but oh well!

I'd say go with fixing it - you can prolly scrap a good windshield, and fix the dents.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-22-2011, 07:53 PM #3
Wow, Sorry that had to happen. Another fella had that happen in another forum. That's like the 2nd one to happened within the month or so.

Those windshields are easy to remove. Cut the seal and it pops out. You can get a cheap one the next time you go out to your local wrecking yard.

Have a glass company install it or you can attempt it by using the rope in the seal trick.

I'd try to save it if you can instead of junk her.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
10-22-2011, 07:53 PM #3

Wow, Sorry that had to happen. Another fella had that happen in another forum. That's like the 2nd one to happened within the month or so.

Those windshields are easy to remove. Cut the seal and it pops out. You can get a cheap one the next time you go out to your local wrecking yard.

Have a glass company install it or you can attempt it by using the rope in the seal trick.

I'd try to save it if you can instead of junk her.

JB3
Superturbo

10-22-2011, 09:27 PM #4
(10-22-2011, 11:25 AM)Greazzer I got a total lecture on insurance last night where the two young ladies on the phone basically told me that if I had collision (this was not a collision claim), I would get about $1,600 for the car and the insurance company would take my car. Nice. Sounds like America

Do you have liability only on that car? What kind of insurance are you carrying, will they cover this?

FYI, the keeping of a totalled car is pretty standard insurance processing. In that circumstance they give you the option to buy it back, usually for scrap metal values. For example, instead of $1600, they would give you $1450 and you keep the car.

Depends on the insurance company, some guy whacked my van recenty and progressive let me buy it back fo 50 bucks off the settlement.

A new windshield here would cost a couple hundred bucks, I 2nd going for a yard windshield. Just learned how easy it is to remove on a 115 the other day, took about 4 minutes to take one out. If the 123 is anything like the 115 winshield wise, should be easy. Practice on your broken one

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
10-22-2011, 09:27 PM #4

(10-22-2011, 11:25 AM)Greazzer I got a total lecture on insurance last night where the two young ladies on the phone basically told me that if I had collision (this was not a collision claim), I would get about $1,600 for the car and the insurance company would take my car. Nice. Sounds like America

Do you have liability only on that car? What kind of insurance are you carrying, will they cover this?

FYI, the keeping of a totalled car is pretty standard insurance processing. In that circumstance they give you the option to buy it back, usually for scrap metal values. For example, instead of $1600, they would give you $1450 and you keep the car.

Depends on the insurance company, some guy whacked my van recenty and progressive let me buy it back fo 50 bucks off the settlement.

A new windshield here would cost a couple hundred bucks, I 2nd going for a yard windshield. Just learned how easy it is to remove on a 115 the other day, took about 4 minutes to take one out. If the 123 is anything like the 115 winshield wise, should be easy. Practice on your broken one

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-23-2011, 06:47 AM #5
I have complete covereage EXCEPT Collision. That goodness this was not a collision. My car cannot collide with itself. So, yes Comprehensive Insurance coverage will cover this. Got to this point after 10 minutes of discussions with the insurance ladies.

What's the scoop on removing your own windshield. Cut what ? More details please or info. I already did a little research and the young ladies who ganged up on me are apparently wrong about the insurance company taking my car. They were wrong about the glass -- South Carolina law clearly states ZERO deductible, AND I think a "totaled-car" title has certain caps on them. However, comprehensive is different than collision so I think they cannot even total the car.

Very depressed over this right now. I thought I was going to get a bunch of projects done this month too .....WTF ?

Greazzer
10-23-2011, 06:47 AM #5

I have complete covereage EXCEPT Collision. That goodness this was not a collision. My car cannot collide with itself. So, yes Comprehensive Insurance coverage will cover this. Got to this point after 10 minutes of discussions with the insurance ladies.

What's the scoop on removing your own windshield. Cut what ? More details please or info. I already did a little research and the young ladies who ganged up on me are apparently wrong about the insurance company taking my car. They were wrong about the glass -- South Carolina law clearly states ZERO deductible, AND I think a "totaled-car" title has certain caps on them. However, comprehensive is different than collision so I think they cannot even total the car.

Very depressed over this right now. I thought I was going to get a bunch of projects done this month too .....WTF ?

larsalan
Superturbo

10-23-2011, 07:16 AM #6
Cut the rubber gasket with a utility knife. Like holding it perpendicular to the plane of the glass.
Getting the new one in I have heard of using soapy water and something like a wire or guitar string to help. I've done a rear window for a truck but never a windshield.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
10-23-2011, 07:16 AM #6

Cut the rubber gasket with a utility knife. Like holding it perpendicular to the plane of the glass.
Getting the new one in I have heard of using soapy water and something like a wire or guitar string to help. I've done a rear window for a truck but never a windshield.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

vstef_is
GT2256V

10-23-2011, 07:27 AM #7
No need to cut anything! Remove the windshield chrome stripes - there's two L-shaped pieces on the left and right bottom part - carefully take those off. There's a top middle connecting part, slide it over to the left or right. Just pull off the chrome parts.

Then using a screwdriver pop off the windshield (apply screwdriver in between car and rubber seal, gently, starting from one place and slowly moving further.

To put back, use a string - like others have suggested.

It's pretty easy - you just have to be carefull when installing the new one so as not to crack it.

Get a replacement windshield from a junkyard...
This post was last modified: 10-23-2011, 07:28 AM by vstef_is.

vstef_is
10-23-2011, 07:27 AM #7

No need to cut anything! Remove the windshield chrome stripes - there's two L-shaped pieces on the left and right bottom part - carefully take those off. There's a top middle connecting part, slide it over to the left or right. Just pull off the chrome parts.

Then using a screwdriver pop off the windshield (apply screwdriver in between car and rubber seal, gently, starting from one place and slowly moving further.

It's pretty easy - you just have to be carefull when installing the new one so as not to crack it.

JB3
Superturbo

10-23-2011, 07:45 AM #8
(10-23-2011, 07:27 AM)vstef_is No need to cut anything! Remove the windshield chrome stripes - there's two L-shaped pieces on the left and right bottom part - carefully take those off. There's a top middle connecting part, slide it over to the left or right. Just pull off the chrome parts.

x2. The gasket can be saved. the chrome strip is very fragile though, careful not to tweak it so it bends badly when you are removing it. The strip fits into a groove in the gasket as a lock to keep the windshield in place. Once its out, you will see how loose the windshield is in the rubber gasket, just a matter of not tweaking it as you get it out of the gasket.

I found it pretty convenient after removing the chrome strip to go inside the car and push the lip of the gasket up around the sheet metal of the body using a small screwdriver or by hand, and then using two people, one on each side, push the windshield out from the top, the gasket will come with it.

Just like a truck windshield, designed to be easily replaced. None of this glue nonsense. Big Grin
This post was last modified: 10-23-2011, 07:46 AM by JB3.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
10-23-2011, 07:45 AM #8

(10-23-2011, 07:27 AM)vstef_is No need to cut anything! Remove the windshield chrome stripes - there's two L-shaped pieces on the left and right bottom part - carefully take those off. There's a top middle connecting part, slide it over to the left or right. Just pull off the chrome parts.

x2. The gasket can be saved. the chrome strip is very fragile though, careful not to tweak it so it bends badly when you are removing it. The strip fits into a groove in the gasket as a lock to keep the windshield in place. Once its out, you will see how loose the windshield is in the rubber gasket, just a matter of not tweaking it as you get it out of the gasket.

I found it pretty convenient after removing the chrome strip to go inside the car and push the lip of the gasket up around the sheet metal of the body using a small screwdriver or by hand, and then using two people, one on each side, push the windshield out from the top, the gasket will come with it.

Just like a truck windshield, designed to be easily replaced. None of this glue nonsense. Big Grin

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

led-panzer
Holset

10-23-2011, 09:47 AM #9
X2 on those chrome pieces, they are needed to compress the gasket and make a seal and they dent with a harsh look. I got one from a used parts guy for 80 bucks or something like that, put it in with a helper in about an hour start to finish. To get the old one out I sat in the car and pushed out with my legs while the helper pulled the lip of the gasket back. Worked great (till my foot popped through once, like that scene from pineapple express lol)

You can do it don't worry. How bad are the fenders? They were by far the hardest part of my project. You've got me paranoid, I checked my hood every time I got in the car yesterday Smile

1984 300D 4-speed ~200,000 miles
7.5mm M-pump, GT3582 turbo, F-Tune Performance intake/exhaust manifolds, A/A intercooler, 315 nozzles, Enlarged prechambers, Bosch 044 feed pump, Custom lightweight flywheel with 240mm clutch, Lowered, 17" AMG rims - 300 hp OM617 project
1985 300D 280,000 miles RIP
2001 F350 7.3 DP tuner, 4"exhaust, S&B intake
led-panzer
10-23-2011, 09:47 AM #9

X2 on those chrome pieces, they are needed to compress the gasket and make a seal and they dent with a harsh look. I got one from a used parts guy for 80 bucks or something like that, put it in with a helper in about an hour start to finish. To get the old one out I sat in the car and pushed out with my legs while the helper pulled the lip of the gasket back. Worked great (till my foot popped through once, like that scene from pineapple express lol)

You can do it don't worry. How bad are the fenders? They were by far the hardest part of my project. You've got me paranoid, I checked my hood every time I got in the car yesterday Smile

1984 300D 4-speed ~200,000 miles
7.5mm M-pump, GT3582 turbo, F-Tune Performance intake/exhaust manifolds, A/A intercooler, 315 nozzles, Enlarged prechambers, Bosch 044 feed pump, Custom lightweight flywheel with 240mm clutch, Lowered, 17" AMG rims - 300 hp OM617 project
1985 300D 280,000 miles RIP
2001 F350 7.3 DP tuner, 4"exhaust, S&B intake

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

10-23-2011, 09:58 AM #10
When you put it back in

MAKE SURE you have all of the trim back in the gasket first. Then put a string all the way around the window overlapping a little at the bottom have some one put pressure on the windshield and slowly pull the string all the way around from the inside of the car you can pull on each end of the string a little at a time and the gasket pops around the metal I have found slapping on the glass sidewase from the out side near where you are working helps seat the rubber more

It takes less time than reading this article
This post was last modified: 10-23-2011, 09:58 AM by willbhere4u.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
10-23-2011, 09:58 AM #10

When you put it back in

MAKE SURE you have all of the trim back in the gasket first. Then put a string all the way around the window overlapping a little at the bottom have some one put pressure on the windshield and slowly pull the string all the way around from the inside of the car you can pull on each end of the string a little at a time and the gasket pops around the metal I have found slapping on the glass sidewase from the out side near where you are working helps seat the rubber more

It takes less time than reading this article

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

vstef_is
GT2256V

10-23-2011, 10:08 AM #11
I have put the trim pieces AFTER I had the glass and rubber seal perfectly in. I just put some grease on the trim pieces (where they enter the gasket) and neatly "hammered" them down with a rubber hammer and wooden piece.

vstef_is
10-23-2011, 10:08 AM #11

I have put the trim pieces AFTER I had the glass and rubber seal perfectly in. I just put some grease on the trim pieces (where they enter the gasket) and neatly "hammered" them down with a rubber hammer and wooden piece.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-23-2011, 10:57 AM #12
I suggest cutting seal because it's the safest way to remove the window without prying and accidently cracking it. Those seals are most likely 25 plus years old. So it's probably at the end of it's life anyways and a new seal is a better route to go without the use of additional Butyl Window Sealer.

You can install the window with the chrome molding in place or without. It's one's own preference. But the FSM states to keep the molding in place while installing the windshield, not installing it after the windshield is set.

This post was last modified: 10-23-2011, 10:58 AM by DeliveryValve.

DeliveryValve
10-23-2011, 10:57 AM #12

I suggest cutting seal because it's the safest way to remove the window without prying and accidently cracking it. Those seals are most likely 25 plus years old. So it's probably at the end of it's life anyways and a new seal is a better route to go without the use of additional Butyl Window Sealer.

You can install the window with the chrome molding in place or without. It's one's own preference. But the FSM states to keep the molding in place while installing the windshield, not installing it after the windshield is set.

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

10-23-2011, 11:30 PM #13
I got $2k for my 300D when someone rear ended me, and I kept it!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
10-23-2011, 11:30 PM #13

I got $2k for my 300D when someone rear ended me, and I kept it!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average