STD Tuning Engine Couple of quick questions

Couple of quick questions

Couple of quick questions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lowdown89
Naturally-aspirated

10-09-2011, 08:41 PM #1
Ok guys I'm working on removing as much stuff as possible from under the hood of my 83 300d that isn't needed to clean up the engine bay and make it as simple as possible.... I have the stuff to do a EGR delete so my next question is what can I do about removing my factory air cleaner assembly? Possibly like to just run a filter as close to the turbo as possible. I'm not looking for a fancy cold air intake, or huge performance gains but since I picked this car up after sitting for a while I want to get rid of as many hoses,etc I might not need and still have the car running as I should since a lot of the hoses are dry rotted and broken... If someone can point me in the direction of some homemade intakes and what you did with the hoses coming off it... Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the rambling lol
Lowdown89
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM #1

Ok guys I'm working on removing as much stuff as possible from under the hood of my 83 300d that isn't needed to clean up the engine bay and make it as simple as possible.... I have the stuff to do a EGR delete so my next question is what can I do about removing my factory air cleaner assembly? Possibly like to just run a filter as close to the turbo as possible. I'm not looking for a fancy cold air intake, or huge performance gains but since I picked this car up after sitting for a while I want to get rid of as many hoses,etc I might not need and still have the car running as I should since a lot of the hoses are dry rotted and broken... If someone can point me in the direction of some homemade intakes and what you did with the hoses coming off it... Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the rambling lol

larsalan
Superturbo

10-09-2011, 08:54 PM #2
I have been deleting stuff lately too. Bumpers were like 90lbs, deleted all the a/c stuff, condenser, hoses, compressor.
Deleted air cleaner a while ago.
People are using either fram 8038 or fram 8037
I think the 8038 is smaller and more manageable. Then just use some pvc or abs 90 degree bend and some rubber connectors etc.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...=fram+8038

I just use a draft hose connected to the valve cover vent. Forget all that hot oily vapor.
This post was last modified: 10-09-2011, 09:04 PM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
10-09-2011, 08:54 PM #2

I have been deleting stuff lately too. Bumpers were like 90lbs, deleted all the a/c stuff, condenser, hoses, compressor.
Deleted air cleaner a while ago.
People are using either fram 8038 or fram 8037
I think the 8038 is smaller and more manageable. Then just use some pvc or abs 90 degree bend and some rubber connectors etc.

I just use a draft hose connected to the valve cover vent. Forget all that hot oily vapor.

Lowdown89
Naturally-aspirated

10-10-2011, 11:23 AM #3
Thanks, that was one question I had I didn't know if people were just dumping the oil or using some kind of catch can... On my f350 I have a Crank case vent kit but I know Lora of people just run a hose to let it drain under the car but I didn't know if that would be ok for these engines. I'm not gonna delete things like the bumpers but I am probably going to ditch the AC stuff as it doesn't work either... I'm just trying to clean the car up under the hood and make It as simple as possible before I get into the lowering and wheels part of it
Lowdown89
10-10-2011, 11:23 AM #3

Thanks, that was one question I had I didn't know if people were just dumping the oil or using some kind of catch can... On my f350 I have a Crank case vent kit but I know Lora of people just run a hose to let it drain under the car but I didn't know if that would be ok for these engines. I'm not gonna delete things like the bumpers but I am probably going to ditch the AC stuff as it doesn't work either... I'm just trying to clean the car up under the hood and make It as simple as possible before I get into the lowering and wheels part of it

mike-81-240d
more like mike-84-300d now

10-10-2011, 03:10 PM #4
I run a fram 8038. My vapors go straight into my intake elbow, and through the turbo. I pumped it at the ground for a while, but it smells disturbing.

1981 Mercedes 300TD Lowered 4 speed manual Holset HX30 
mike-81-240d
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM #4

I run a fram 8038. My vapors go straight into my intake elbow, and through the turbo. I pumped it at the ground for a while, but it smells disturbing.

1981 Mercedes 300TD Lowered 4 speed manual Holset HX30 

larsalan
Superturbo

10-10-2011, 03:49 PM #5
loose the cruise control box too. Who uses cruise control? between the air filter, cruise, and ac stuff. you'll see a lot more room.
Some people do use catch cans for the ccv and the turbo pulling on that ccv is supposed to be good. The bad part is any oil getting into the air filter, turbo, intercooler, intake mani. What a mess. I would prolly use a can for the ccv barring the expense and trouble it is to connect one.
Do you have a car profile thread? Maybe you could snap a few photos of this project?
This post was last modified: 10-10-2011, 03:51 PM by larsalan.

larsalan
10-10-2011, 03:49 PM #5

loose the cruise control box too. Who uses cruise control? between the air filter, cruise, and ac stuff. you'll see a lot more room.
Some people do use catch cans for the ccv and the turbo pulling on that ccv is supposed to be good. The bad part is any oil getting into the air filter, turbo, intercooler, intake mani. What a mess. I would prolly use a can for the ccv barring the expense and trouble it is to connect one.

Do you have a car profile thread? Maybe you could snap a few photos of this project?

Lowdown89
Naturally-aspirated

10-10-2011, 07:48 PM #6
See that's the thing on my 7.3 before I re routed the oil line every time you pulled the air filter off or intercooler piping there was oil eeryhwhere... For those of you that deleted this stuff like the cruise control How far back do you go to plug off the vacuum lines I just don't want to remove one thing and it effect something else and be chasing silly things over something I did
This post was last modified: 10-10-2011, 09:01 PM by Lowdown89.
Lowdown89
10-10-2011, 07:48 PM #6

See that's the thing on my 7.3 before I re routed the oil line every time you pulled the air filter off or intercooler piping there was oil eeryhwhere... For those of you that deleted this stuff like the cruise control How far back do you go to plug off the vacuum lines I just don't want to remove one thing and it effect something else and be chasing silly things over something I did

larsalan
Superturbo

10-10-2011, 08:03 PM #7
yeah, plug it off or something. We've got vac diagrams if you are going to have problems. The cc actuator has a little mounting plate that is in the same bolt holes as the fuel filter housing, I believe. Get as much of that extra metal out of there as you can. That ac compressor is like 50lb.
Condenser is worth like $8 or so scrap. Or I heard one guy tell me he plumped his into his radiant heating at home Wink
Better place for it than on your car.
You can also loose the part they call a 3/2 switch. It's on the top of the valve cover and doesn't do anything. Have to delete it from the vac circuit too.
Someone else must chime in here....

larsalan
10-10-2011, 08:03 PM #7

yeah, plug it off or something. We've got vac diagrams if you are going to have problems. The cc actuator has a little mounting plate that is in the same bolt holes as the fuel filter housing, I believe. Get as much of that extra metal out of there as you can. That ac compressor is like 50lb.
Condenser is worth like $8 or so scrap. Or I heard one guy tell me he plumped his into his radiant heating at home Wink
Better place for it than on your car.
You can also loose the part they call a 3/2 switch. It's on the top of the valve cover and doesn't do anything. Have to delete it from the vac circuit too.
Someone else must chime in here....

Lowdown89
Naturally-aspirated

10-10-2011, 11:16 PM #8
Anyone have pics of under the hood after they have cleaned it up and deleted the un needed stuff... Like I said I'm not trying to go crazy but I already have vacuum lines that are cracked and missing and if I can get it cleaned up ad remove the stuff I'm not gonna need it should make trouble shooting the other stuff easier... The 3/2 switch I thought the box on the top of the valve cover worked in controlling the shifts of the transmission
Lowdown89
10-10-2011, 11:16 PM #8

Anyone have pics of under the hood after they have cleaned it up and deleted the un needed stuff... Like I said I'm not trying to go crazy but I already have vacuum lines that are cracked and missing and if I can get it cleaned up ad remove the stuff I'm not gonna need it should make trouble shooting the other stuff easier... The 3/2 switch I thought the box on the top of the valve cover worked in controlling the shifts of the transmission

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

10-11-2011, 12:45 AM #9
Use a crankcase evac kit so the hot exhaust velocity out of the turbo sucks the oil vapor out and burns it up!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
10-11-2011, 12:45 AM #9

Use a crankcase evac kit so the hot exhaust velocity out of the turbo sucks the oil vapor out and burns it up!

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

larsalan
Superturbo

10-11-2011, 04:13 AM #10
So, the ccv are dumped right into the exhaust? Never going through the motor? That is a great place for them.

larsalan
10-11-2011, 04:13 AM #10

So, the ccv are dumped right into the exhaust? Never going through the motor? That is a great place for them.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average