STD Tuning Engine Noob question on 602 engine.

Noob question on 602 engine.

Noob question on 602 engine.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Achtung
Unregistered

04-02-2009, 01:43 AM #1
Hi Guys,
I´m new at this forum, but I think this is the right place for my question.
I´m thinking of putting a diesel engine in a boat. And I think the engine is a 602. It´s from a MB 190d 2.5 10valve. I´m not a big MB fan, but I like this engine. It seems to be a light diesel engine with big possibility to get big power.

So now to my question, what shall I do with this engine to reach my hp output goal. To get the boat to the speed I want I will need around 200-250hp. What shall I do?? Ofcourse I will need a big turbo, but do I need to modify the pump and put in larger pistons in the pump??

/Anton
Achtung
04-02-2009, 01:43 AM #1

Hi Guys,
I´m new at this forum, but I think this is the right place for my question.
I´m thinking of putting a diesel engine in a boat. And I think the engine is a 602. It´s from a MB 190d 2.5 10valve. I´m not a big MB fan, but I like this engine. It seems to be a light diesel engine with big possibility to get big power.

So now to my question, what shall I do with this engine to reach my hp output goal. To get the boat to the speed I want I will need around 200-250hp. What shall I do?? Ofcourse I will need a big turbo, but do I need to modify the pump and put in larger pistons in the pump??

/Anton

fragatadas
Unregistered

04-02-2009, 03:03 PM #2
Is the engine 602n.a or 602turbo? What sort of speed are you looking for? What the hull shape and weight?
In any of the cases this engine will need a belt driven sea water pump, seawater/coolant radiator, seawater/oil cooler, seawater/air intercooler and a cooled exhaust manifold if you run it over 3000rpm .
My extensive experience with boats at sea, tells me that reliability is more important than performance! Over water you can't get out and push......
If you are looking for a light diesel in a boat get a Volvo Penta KAMD32 or Yanmar.
fragatadas
04-02-2009, 03:03 PM #2

Is the engine 602n.a or 602turbo? What sort of speed are you looking for? What the hull shape and weight?
In any of the cases this engine will need a belt driven sea water pump, seawater/coolant radiator, seawater/oil cooler, seawater/air intercooler and a cooled exhaust manifold if you run it over 3000rpm .
My extensive experience with boats at sea, tells me that reliability is more important than performance! Over water you can't get out and push......
If you are looking for a light diesel in a boat get a Volvo Penta KAMD32 or Yanmar.

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-02-2009, 07:15 PM #3
A 602 might not be the best for marine performance. I'd look for a 603 to get 200-250hp so that HP/L is lower and the engine will be more reliable.

The 190D isn't turbo except in 1987 and the non-turbo engines don't have the piston cooling, reinforcements or cam profile for a turbo.
ForcedInduction
04-02-2009, 07:15 PM #3

A 602 might not be the best for marine performance. I'd look for a 603 to get 200-250hp so that HP/L is lower and the engine will be more reliable.

The 190D isn't turbo except in 1987 and the non-turbo engines don't have the piston cooling, reinforcements or cam profile for a turbo.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average