STD Maintenance General opinion on smokey diesel?

opinion on smokey diesel?

opinion on smokey diesel?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ALLDiesel
Unregistered

03-31-2009, 06:09 AM #1
my 87 300sdl smokes a lot when i first start it. It runs a little rough and has a lot of white smoke until its warm. Take it for a ride and it runs great and doesnt smoke at all. And from there on it doesnt smoke. Im wondering if it has something to do with valve seals or injectors? Car has 252,000 on it
ALLDiesel
03-31-2009, 06:09 AM #1

my 87 300sdl smokes a lot when i first start it. It runs a little rough and has a lot of white smoke until its warm. Take it for a ride and it runs great and doesnt smoke at all. And from there on it doesnt smoke. Im wondering if it has something to do with valve seals or injectors? Car has 252,000 on it

ConnClark
GT2256V

03-31-2009, 01:05 PM #2
(03-31-2009, 06:09 AM)ALLDiesel my 87 300sdl smokes a lot when i first start it. It runs a little rough and has a lot of white smoke until its warm. Take it for a ride and it runs great and doesnt smoke at all. And from there on it doesnt smoke. Im wondering if it has something to do with valve seals or injectors? Car has 252,000 on it

Double check all your glow plugs, If just one or two is out the idiot light won't always catch it. Valve seats are a possibility but I don't it would get much better once it warmed up.
ConnClark
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM #2

(03-31-2009, 06:09 AM)ALLDiesel my 87 300sdl smokes a lot when i first start it. It runs a little rough and has a lot of white smoke until its warm. Take it for a ride and it runs great and doesnt smoke at all. And from there on it doesnt smoke. Im wondering if it has something to do with valve seals or injectors? Car has 252,000 on it

Double check all your glow plugs, If just one or two is out the idiot light won't always catch it. Valve seats are a possibility but I don't it would get much better once it warmed up.

ALLDiesel
Unregistered

04-01-2009, 04:33 PM #3
Anyone think it might be injectors?
ALLDiesel
04-01-2009, 04:33 PM #3

Anyone think it might be injectors?

winmutt
bitbanger

04-01-2009, 06:09 PM #4
Of course. Timing as well. Timing is cheap Smile

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
04-01-2009, 06:09 PM #4

Of course. Timing as well. Timing is cheap Smile

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

BrandonSLC
Unregistered

09-05-2009, 01:52 AM #5

I just bought a car with an OM602 that puts out white smoke.

Why don't you guys think it's a head gasket? I was under the impression that white smoke was an indication of water seeping into a combustion chamber. The person I bought it from believed the car needed a new head gasket because of the white smoke.

I've seen blue smoke on startup and black soot on these engines, but white is new to me.

I'm a newbie on this forum, but have owned Mercedes off and on for the last 30 years, and share on some other forums.
BrandonSLC
09-05-2009, 01:52 AM #5

I just bought a car with an OM602 that puts out white smoke.

Why don't you guys think it's a head gasket? I was under the impression that white smoke was an indication of water seeping into a combustion chamber. The person I bought it from believed the car needed a new head gasket because of the white smoke.

I've seen blue smoke on startup and black soot on these engines, but white is new to me.

I'm a newbie on this forum, but have owned Mercedes off and on for the last 30 years, and share on some other forums.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

09-05-2009, 10:59 AM #6
white smoke can also be a cylinder not firing correctly from a glow plug not working smell the smoke! dose it smell of diesel or anti freeze? also dose it do it all of the time or just on start up?

if its just on start up I would suspect a glow plug, bad spray pattern on an injector, or compression on one or more cylinders

if it where a head gasket it could mix oil and water together. It can also push water in to the cylinder or just push compression into the cooling system! there is a test for checking if there is exhaust hydrocarbons in the cooling system

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
09-05-2009, 10:59 AM #6

white smoke can also be a cylinder not firing correctly from a glow plug not working smell the smoke! dose it smell of diesel or anti freeze? also dose it do it all of the time or just on start up?

if its just on start up I would suspect a glow plug, bad spray pattern on an injector, or compression on one or more cylinders

if it where a head gasket it could mix oil and water together. It can also push water in to the cylinder or just push compression into the cooling system! there is a test for checking if there is exhaust hydrocarbons in the cooling system

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

BrandonSLC
Unregistered

09-05-2009, 12:54 PM #7
(09-05-2009, 10:59 AM)willbhere4u white smoke can also be a cylinder not firing correctly from a glow plug not working smell the smoke! dose it smell of diesel or anti freeze? also dose it do it all of the time or just on start up?

Oh darn! Got my hopes up there for awhile. It does indeed seem to be coolant getting into a cylinder. The owners reported that they first noticed it after a 70 mile trip.

I checked the oil and coolant and didn't see any signs of mixing, yet. To me it does smell like antifreeze burning.

The car is still sitting in their driveway, but I'm bringing it home on a tow truck next week, and plan to start tearing it down for inspection. Hopefully it's just the gasket.

After getting a $2 to $3k estimate to fix it, they looked around for a good used engine, but decided to sell it cheap, as a "Mechanics special" instead. It has 270k miles on it, and runs good otherwise.

Thanks for being here4me. Wink
BrandonSLC
09-05-2009, 12:54 PM #7

(09-05-2009, 10:59 AM)willbhere4u white smoke can also be a cylinder not firing correctly from a glow plug not working smell the smoke! dose it smell of diesel or anti freeze? also dose it do it all of the time or just on start up?

Oh darn! Got my hopes up there for awhile. It does indeed seem to be coolant getting into a cylinder. The owners reported that they first noticed it after a 70 mile trip.

I checked the oil and coolant and didn't see any signs of mixing, yet. To me it does smell like antifreeze burning.

The car is still sitting in their driveway, but I'm bringing it home on a tow truck next week, and plan to start tearing it down for inspection. Hopefully it's just the gasket.

After getting a $2 to $3k estimate to fix it, they looked around for a good used engine, but decided to sell it cheap, as a "Mechanics special" instead. It has 270k miles on it, and runs good otherwise.

Thanks for being here4me. Wink

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average