STD Other Projects just bought an 84 300d fed

just bought an 84 300d fed

just bought an 84 300d fed

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jawjee
Naturally-aspirated

09-07-2011, 06:51 PM #1
Hello,

Just got a 1984 300D federal with 227,000 miles for $1700 cdn. I am really, really stoked about this car. I've been waiting for an example like this to come into my life for a while now, and feel like all the waiting was finally justified. Gone are my rusted-to-death wagon experiments, so the wife agreed to spin off our golf and shop around for a benz.

There is no rust on the car, or at least I haven't found any yet, which is really rare around here. Super hard to find a W123 without at least some body rust. Anthracite grey, i think tobacco? interior...i'll post pics so you guys can correct me. paint is immaculate. there is a very faint pinstripe on it as well.

Stuff to be corrected:
engine needs a bunch of regular maintenance type love...valve timing, oil change, fuel filters, some new gaskets looks like, the sunroof sticks, the antennae is stuck (and broken), rear pass. window doesn't work, the wipers aren't working, the turn signals chronically blow fuses (i think combination switch), needs a hood pull, needs two lower rear trim pieces,
bumper trim needs to be snugged up, i'll think of more.

lots of ideas for performance/ mileage mods. any ideas are welcome. this thing is going to evolve largely based on funding availability. pictures soon.

George

1984 300D federal stock

RIP my two dead wagons.
jawjee
09-07-2011, 06:51 PM #1

Hello,

Just got a 1984 300D federal with 227,000 miles for $1700 cdn. I am really, really stoked about this car. I've been waiting for an example like this to come into my life for a while now, and feel like all the waiting was finally justified. Gone are my rusted-to-death wagon experiments, so the wife agreed to spin off our golf and shop around for a benz.

There is no rust on the car, or at least I haven't found any yet, which is really rare around here. Super hard to find a W123 without at least some body rust. Anthracite grey, i think tobacco? interior...i'll post pics so you guys can correct me. paint is immaculate. there is a very faint pinstripe on it as well.

Stuff to be corrected:
engine needs a bunch of regular maintenance type love...valve timing, oil change, fuel filters, some new gaskets looks like, the sunroof sticks, the antennae is stuck (and broken), rear pass. window doesn't work, the wipers aren't working, the turn signals chronically blow fuses (i think combination switch), needs a hood pull, needs two lower rear trim pieces,
bumper trim needs to be snugged up, i'll think of more.

lots of ideas for performance/ mileage mods. any ideas are welcome. this thing is going to evolve largely based on funding availability. pictures soon.

George

1984 300D federal stock

RIP my two dead wagons.

vstef_is
GT2256V

09-08-2011, 11:14 AM #2
Congrats for the ride, sounds good... let's see the pics Big Grin

1982 s123 300TD TurboDiesel (US Spec) in France
vstef_is
09-08-2011, 11:14 AM #2

Congrats for the ride, sounds good... let's see the pics Big Grin

jawjee
Naturally-aspirated

09-08-2011, 02:18 PM #3

here she is. Made some progress last night. I got wipers and turn signals working last night by swapping in a combination switch from my old wagon. ditto hood pull. changed the air filter, cleaned ALDA, lubed throttle, hood, doors, and trunk hinges and latches, swapped in complete air cleaner bracket, tightened turbo inlet hose (was super loose), unplugged vacuum to ARV and EGR. going to machine blocking plates for both at work soon, with NPT holes for future instruments. stoked.

George

1984 300D federal stock

RIP my two dead wagons.
jawjee
09-08-2011, 02:18 PM #3

here she is. Made some progress last night. I got wipers and turn signals working last night by swapping in a combination switch from my old wagon. ditto hood pull. changed the air filter, cleaned ALDA, lubed throttle, hood, doors, and trunk hinges and latches, swapped in complete air cleaner bracket, tightened turbo inlet hose (was super loose), unplugged vacuum to ARV and EGR. going to machine blocking plates for both at work soon, with NPT holes for future instruments. stoked.

George

1984 300D federal stock

RIP my two dead wagons.

vstef_is
GT2256V

09-08-2011, 02:57 PM #4
Looks GREAT! I love the dark gray color! Does it have standard MB Mg alloys? More pics when u've got the chance, please....

vstef_is
09-08-2011, 02:57 PM #4

Looks GREAT! I love the dark gray color! Does it have standard MB Mg alloys? More pics when u've got the chance, please....

jawjee
Naturally-aspirated

09-08-2011, 06:49 PM #5
thanks vstef! I will do more pics. just takes me a while to resize them in paint. yeah original wheels 14" bundts I think. I've been thinking about getting them painted, maybe a darker grey than the body, like a charcoal, then cleared. i reckon that'd look cool.

George

1984 300D federal stock

RIP my two dead wagons.
jawjee
09-08-2011, 06:49 PM #5

thanks vstef! I will do more pics. just takes me a while to resize them in paint. yeah original wheels 14" bundts I think. I've been thinking about getting them painted, maybe a darker grey than the body, like a charcoal, then cleared. i reckon that'd look cool.

George

1984 300D federal stock

RIP my two dead wagons.

vstef_is
GT2256V

09-09-2011, 01:04 AM #6
The rims color does sound nice... Also, this is the first w123 I've ever seen with US headlights that looks good. Being from Europe the US style lamps just don't look that good imho... however, the dark gray color somehow makes it work!

For pictures try either - http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ (online)

or the ResizePics Power Toy thingy for Windows 7 - http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ (which is the best)

vstef_is
09-09-2011, 01:04 AM #6

The rims color does sound nice... Also, this is the first w123 I've ever seen with US headlights that looks good. Being from Europe the US style lamps just don't look that good imho... however, the dark gray color somehow makes it work!

For pictures try either - http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ (online)

or the ResizePics Power Toy thingy for Windows 7 - http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ (which is the best)

jawjee
Naturally-aspirated

09-12-2011, 01:47 PM #7
Under the battery tray, the tray itself, and around the passenger side hood hinge well. both hood hinge wells were chocker-block full of grey leaf-gunk. surprise surprise! cleaned it all out with compressed air, sanded it a bit, painted it with rust paint (for now), cleaned out behind the quarter panels and the weird plastic cover business, armour-alled the plastic thing's gasket. kind of suspected the tray would be bad. all in, it's not too bad. while i was at it, i removed the front license plate mount and painted it too, because it had some surface rust.

George

1984 300D federal stock

RIP my two dead wagons.
jawjee
09-12-2011, 01:47 PM #7

Under the battery tray, the tray itself, and around the passenger side hood hinge well. both hood hinge wells were chocker-block full of grey leaf-gunk. surprise surprise! cleaned it all out with compressed air, sanded it a bit, painted it with rust paint (for now), cleaned out behind the quarter panels and the weird plastic cover business, armour-alled the plastic thing's gasket. kind of suspected the tray would be bad. all in, it's not too bad. while i was at it, i removed the front license plate mount and painted it too, because it had some surface rust.

George

1984 300D federal stock

RIP my two dead wagons.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average