STD Tuning Engine broken glow plug removal question

broken glow plug removal question

broken glow plug removal question

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jhunt253
Naturally-aspirated

09-06-2011, 07:02 PM #1
i have a 95 e300d that i am changing the glow plugs in. only one plug came out. all the others unscrewed with difficulty without twisting except for #6.
on the last thread, i think, it sheared.

my question is, if you remove the prechamber, can the chamber be sealed with a fabricated tool that would then allow you to pump the stem of the glow plug out using a grease gun rather than having to remove the cylinder head?
jhunt253
09-06-2011, 07:02 PM #1

i have a 95 e300d that i am changing the glow plugs in. only one plug came out. all the others unscrewed with difficulty without twisting except for #6.
on the last thread, i think, it sheared.

my question is, if you remove the prechamber, can the chamber be sealed with a fabricated tool that would then allow you to pump the stem of the glow plug out using a grease gun rather than having to remove the cylinder head?

MB TECH
GT2559V

09-07-2011, 04:37 AM #2
All the ones I have ran into and seen come through the shop all get the cylinder head removed and sent to a machine shop. I have however seen one person get lucky and was able to drill into the glow plug just enough to extract it with an easy out. I believe he had to remove the oil filter housing for that. In my opinion removing the cylinder head is the best bet, that way you know its getting done right even though it takes some time.

1979 450SEL 6.9 - stock

1960 220SE
111 tube chassis car/undergoing full restoration. Body work in progress. Merging with a 1996 S500 (119 engine, 722.6 trans, and both subframes)

2005 S55 AMG - stock

1999 SLK230 Kompressor - stock

2006 SLK55 AMG - stock

MB TECH
09-07-2011, 04:37 AM #2

All the ones I have ran into and seen come through the shop all get the cylinder head removed and sent to a machine shop. I have however seen one person get lucky and was able to drill into the glow plug just enough to extract it with an easy out. I believe he had to remove the oil filter housing for that. In my opinion removing the cylinder head is the best bet, that way you know its getting done right even though it takes some time.

1979 450SEL 6.9 - stock

1960 220SE
111 tube chassis car/undergoing full restoration. Body work in progress. Merging with a 1996 S500 (119 engine, 722.6 trans, and both subframes)

2005 S55 AMG - stock

1999 SLK230 Kompressor - stock

2006 SLK55 AMG - stock

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

09-07-2011, 06:07 AM #3
A GP on my car was broken off, stripped and sealed with JB weld and a bolt when I bought it. And they STILL left the broken piece in there!

I was able to drill, thread and extract it. If I could do that, I'm sure anything is possible.

Where in Durham are you? I'm on the west side, near Hillsborough.

1998 MB E300 - 194,000 miles. Current/future mods: 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 Turbo feeding Eaton M90 supercharger through custom fabbed intake system. Aeroturbine muffler, scratch-built 4" stainless exhaust. EGR eliminated, ECM recalibrated, modified rack position feedback circuit. Porterfield RS brake pads, Bilstein sport shocks, VDO EGT, oil and boost gauges.

2000 Ford F250 - 150,000 miles. Current/future mods: DP Tuner 3 map chip, scratch-built high flow intake, high output IDM, open circuit fuel system, ball bearing turbo, South Bend full metal clutch, slotted and drilled rotors. Autometer Sport Comp EGT and boost gauges.
E300TSC
09-07-2011, 06:07 AM #3

A GP on my car was broken off, stripped and sealed with JB weld and a bolt when I bought it. And they STILL left the broken piece in there!

I was able to drill, thread and extract it. If I could do that, I'm sure anything is possible.

Where in Durham are you? I'm on the west side, near Hillsborough.

1998 MB E300 - 194,000 miles. Current/future mods: 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 Turbo feeding Eaton M90 supercharger through custom fabbed intake system. Aeroturbine muffler, scratch-built 4" stainless exhaust. EGR eliminated, ECM recalibrated, modified rack position feedback circuit. Porterfield RS brake pads, Bilstein sport shocks, VDO EGT, oil and boost gauges.

2000 Ford F250 - 150,000 miles. Current/future mods: DP Tuner 3 map chip, scratch-built high flow intake, high output IDM, open circuit fuel system, ball bearing turbo, South Bend full metal clutch, slotted and drilled rotors. Autometer Sport Comp EGT and boost gauges.

jhunt253
Naturally-aspirated

09-07-2011, 06:33 AM #4
Im over near Falls Lake down the street from Lake Ridge Airport. I have a couple of '95 E300 D's. Both are down for repairs. One with a spun rod bearing and the other with this glow plug problem. I have a couple of extra engines that I'm in the process of rebuilding. Also have a 12 valve Cummins that I plan to put into a Ford 250 Econoline that I'll use for a road-trip van. I also have a bunch of old Stearmans that I'm constantly collecting parts for. One Stearman is in the process of having a WWII 9 cylinder Guiberson radial diesel engine installed onto it. The reason I'm doing all this stuff is so I can run our "special super blend super clean" ATF and WMO.
Been following with great interest your posts regarding the turbo supercharged. I hung a couple of those M90's on a reverse flow Cadillac Northstar engine that was going into the "worlds fastest all wood supercar". Anyway, I'd like to get with you and see what all you've done.
I've got a couple of cylinder heads off the 606. One with stuck glow plugs and I think I'll go down today and see if I can come up with an easy system to pump the glow plugs out.
Give me a holler if you can. 919-956-2006
jhunt253
09-07-2011, 06:33 AM #4

Im over near Falls Lake down the street from Lake Ridge Airport. I have a couple of '95 E300 D's. Both are down for repairs. One with a spun rod bearing and the other with this glow plug problem. I have a couple of extra engines that I'm in the process of rebuilding. Also have a 12 valve Cummins that I plan to put into a Ford 250 Econoline that I'll use for a road-trip van. I also have a bunch of old Stearmans that I'm constantly collecting parts for. One Stearman is in the process of having a WWII 9 cylinder Guiberson radial diesel engine installed onto it. The reason I'm doing all this stuff is so I can run our "special super blend super clean" ATF and WMO.
Been following with great interest your posts regarding the turbo supercharged. I hung a couple of those M90's on a reverse flow Cadillac Northstar engine that was going into the "worlds fastest all wood supercar". Anyway, I'd like to get with you and see what all you've done.
I've got a couple of cylinder heads off the 606. One with stuck glow plugs and I think I'll go down today and see if I can come up with an easy system to pump the glow plugs out.
Give me a holler if you can. 919-956-2006

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

09-07-2011, 07:39 AM #5
Ha, that's funny, small world. I was taking flying lessons from Paul and Mike down at Lake Ridge. I may have met you at some time if you spend much time there. There are a bunch of Stearmans there and I'm thinking that I may have seen that diesel radial under one of the shelters there at some point.

E300TSC
09-07-2011, 07:39 AM #5

Ha, that's funny, small world. I was taking flying lessons from Paul and Mike down at Lake Ridge. I may have met you at some time if you spend much time there. There are a bunch of Stearmans there and I'm thinking that I may have seen that diesel radial under one of the shelters there at some point.

winmutt
bitbanger

09-07-2011, 08:21 AM #6
Is it possible to shove the GP in the prechamber and then pull the prechamber?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
09-07-2011, 08:21 AM #6

Is it possible to shove the GP in the prechamber and then pull the prechamber?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

jhunt253
Naturally-aspirated

09-07-2011, 08:48 AM #7
(09-07-2011, 07:39 AM)E300TSC Ha, that's funny, small world. I was taking flying lessons from Paul and Mike down at Lake Ridge. I may have met you at some time if you spend much time there. There are a bunch of Stearman there and I'm thinking that I may have seen that diesel radial under one of the shelters there at some point.
that must have been a while back, they ran paul off about 2 years ago. he is out of oxford now and doing well, ratty doesn't instruct much if any anymore, he bought a waco upf7 about 7 years ago and hops rids with it now. goes up to michigan for the summer. we had 7 stearman projects being built here back then, 3 were finished. the guiberson deisel radial hung around under that hanger for a longtime before i gave it away, after all nobody in there right mind would put one on an airplane, besides it was in sad shape, missing injectors and injector pumps,and was locked up.
when avgas hit 5.50 i decided i needed to do something else,like putting that old guiberson on the front running my special blend[$0.31/gal]. bearman gladly let me have it back. i found another locked up engine in florida and some new injectors,ip's,cylinders,etc that a wonderful old man in michigan had. this is a rare engine.it 1s 1020 cu in,produces 320 hp at 2200 rpm. it also has a claimed tbo of 4000 hrs. this guy also had a packard v12 diesel minesweeper engine that was made from stainless steel, plus a bunch of other neat stuff.

(09-07-2011, 08:21 AM)winmutt Is it possible to shove the GP in the prechamber and then pull the prechamber?

i think it is too long but i,ll double check. i went down and studied the head thats sitting on the bench and decided the grease deal is worth a shot, but will require some special tooling. i have to machine a serrated tool to get the retainer ring out [i could buy one but there are $60 bucks and it wouldn't get here until monday] then i'll fabricate a threaded tool that srews into the threaded part of the prechamber. it will then be attached to a porterpower that is supported by the sides of cylinder head, then with a little luck i should be able to jack it out. hopefully the gp has cleared the prechamer. once out i should be able to close the openings on an old one, slick it up so it installs easily, install it with the retainer. then attach a old modified injector.
i can now pump grease in or even use my poptester with rear end grease or whatever, maybe, i hope, we will see, maybe i haven't overlooked anything
This post was last modified: 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM by jhunt253.
jhunt253
09-07-2011, 08:48 AM #7

(09-07-2011, 07:39 AM)E300TSC Ha, that's funny, small world. I was taking flying lessons from Paul and Mike down at Lake Ridge. I may have met you at some time if you spend much time there. There are a bunch of Stearman there and I'm thinking that I may have seen that diesel radial under one of the shelters there at some point.
that must have been a while back, they ran paul off about 2 years ago. he is out of oxford now and doing well, ratty doesn't instruct much if any anymore, he bought a waco upf7 about 7 years ago and hops rids with it now. goes up to michigan for the summer. we had 7 stearman projects being built here back then, 3 were finished. the guiberson deisel radial hung around under that hanger for a longtime before i gave it away, after all nobody in there right mind would put one on an airplane, besides it was in sad shape, missing injectors and injector pumps,and was locked up.
when avgas hit 5.50 i decided i needed to do something else,like putting that old guiberson on the front running my special blend[$0.31/gal]. bearman gladly let me have it back. i found another locked up engine in florida and some new injectors,ip's,cylinders,etc that a wonderful old man in michigan had. this is a rare engine.it 1s 1020 cu in,produces 320 hp at 2200 rpm. it also has a claimed tbo of 4000 hrs. this guy also had a packard v12 diesel minesweeper engine that was made from stainless steel, plus a bunch of other neat stuff.

(09-07-2011, 08:21 AM)winmutt Is it possible to shove the GP in the prechamber and then pull the prechamber?

i think it is too long but i,ll double check. i went down and studied the head thats sitting on the bench and decided the grease deal is worth a shot, but will require some special tooling. i have to machine a serrated tool to get the retainer ring out [i could buy one but there are $60 bucks and it wouldn't get here until monday] then i'll fabricate a threaded tool that srews into the threaded part of the prechamber. it will then be attached to a porterpower that is supported by the sides of cylinder head, then with a little luck i should be able to jack it out. hopefully the gp has cleared the prechamer. once out i should be able to close the openings on an old one, slick it up so it installs easily, install it with the retainer. then attach a old modified injector.
i can now pump grease in or even use my poptester with rear end grease or whatever, maybe, i hope, we will see, maybe i haven't overlooked anything

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

09-07-2011, 11:22 AM #8
Man, you're into some interesting stuff! I knew Paul had moved on to HNZ. I saw him a month or 2 ago and he's happy up there. Mike I see fly over the house every once in a while, giving rides.

Love to see that diesel fly again one day!

Any way, back to your problem.

1. You can't push the GP into the pre chamber. It's up against a taper machined in the head.
2. Keep in mind that if you pump up the cylinder with oil/grease, at 500 PSI, you're putting a measley 300+# of force on the tiny GP head and like, 14,000# on the piston head.
3. This is the proven method of removal: http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM606BrokenGlowPlug It has worked for me and several others.

If you end up damaging the threads for the GP, I have a Time-Sert kit that you can use to repair the hole.

E300TSC
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM #8

Man, you're into some interesting stuff! I knew Paul had moved on to HNZ. I saw him a month or 2 ago and he's happy up there. Mike I see fly over the house every once in a while, giving rides.

Love to see that diesel fly again one day!

Any way, back to your problem.

1. You can't push the GP into the pre chamber. It's up against a taper machined in the head.
2. Keep in mind that if you pump up the cylinder with oil/grease, at 500 PSI, you're putting a measley 300+# of force on the tiny GP head and like, 14,000# on the piston head.
3. This is the proven method of removal: http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM606BrokenGlowPlug It has worked for me and several others.

If you end up damaging the threads for the GP, I have a Time-Sert kit that you can use to repair the hole.

jhunt253
Naturally-aspirated

09-07-2011, 04:24 PM #9
by sealing the bottom 8 holes [welding up an old one] of the prechamber,or just maching one without the holes, the cylinder will be sealed from the oil /grease that will be used for the pumping media. the piston should not see any load. assuming a pressure of 3000 psi the gp will see a load 375 lbs, also i think the slickem will be trying to ooze by the gp and should help matters. anyway until i get the prechamber out i wont be able to forsure say this will work, also the gp
has to be backed out enough [i dont know how much that is] to allow the prechamber to be slide by. i plan on trying this out this weekend and will take pictures for anybody interested.
jhunt253
09-07-2011, 04:24 PM #9

by sealing the bottom 8 holes [welding up an old one] of the prechamber,or just maching one without the holes, the cylinder will be sealed from the oil /grease that will be used for the pumping media. the piston should not see any load. assuming a pressure of 3000 psi the gp will see a load 375 lbs, also i think the slickem will be trying to ooze by the gp and should help matters. anyway until i get the prechamber out i wont be able to forsure say this will work, also the gp
has to be backed out enough [i dont know how much that is] to allow the prechamber to be slide by. i plan on trying this out this weekend and will take pictures for anybody interested.

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

09-07-2011, 04:45 PM #10
OK, that's a pretty novel approach. Depending on what time you embark on this adventure, I might have time to invite myself over for a visit to check it out... Smile

E300TSC
09-07-2011, 04:45 PM #10

OK, that's a pretty novel approach. Depending on what time you embark on this adventure, I might have time to invite myself over for a visit to check it out... Smile

jhunt253
Naturally-aspirated

09-09-2011, 06:51 PM #11
got everything ready to try, i'm sure this is gonna work, if you decide to invite yourself tomorrow will be the best i' ll be at the airport tomorrow after 10:30

hunt
jhunt253
09-09-2011, 06:51 PM #11

got everything ready to try, i'm sure this is gonna work, if you decide to invite yourself tomorrow will be the best i' ll be at the airport tomorrow after 10:30

hunt

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

09-09-2011, 08:08 PM #12
Is that where you're working on the car?

E300TSC
09-09-2011, 08:08 PM #12

Is that where you're working on the car?

jhunt253
Naturally-aspirated

09-09-2011, 09:37 PM #13
yes, you want have any trouble finding it.

hunt
jhunt253
09-09-2011, 09:37 PM #13

yes, you want have any trouble finding it.

hunt

jhunt253
Naturally-aspirated

09-13-2011, 07:05 PM #14
finally got it out. could not weld another nut onto the gp stub,so as a last resort i took a harbor freight stud extractor and drove it onto the gp's stub, took the 3/8 impact wrench, attached it to the extractor, jacked the bottle pressure to 5,000 psi(it held), slowly you could see it come, and finally it pop out. celebration time
jhunt253
09-13-2011, 07:05 PM #14

finally got it out. could not weld another nut onto the gp stub,so as a last resort i took a harbor freight stud extractor and drove it onto the gp's stub, took the 3/8 impact wrench, attached it to the extractor, jacked the bottle pressure to 5,000 psi(it held), slowly you could see it come, and finally it pop out. celebration time

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

09-13-2011, 08:00 PM #15
That is awesome! Glad to hear it. Are you going to try and rig the remote filter now or are you just going to put it back together so you can drive it?

Also, I have a spare oil filter assembly gasket if you need it.

E300TSC
09-13-2011, 08:00 PM #15

That is awesome! Glad to hear it. Are you going to try and rig the remote filter now or are you just going to put it back together so you can drive it?

Also, I have a spare oil filter assembly gasket if you need it.

jhunt253
Naturally-aspirated

09-13-2011, 08:14 PM #16
going with the remote filter, i'll fabricate the parts tomorrow, got it all figured out. this arzent going be a complicated deal with the benefits far out weighing the trouble, i'll still use the mercedes filter as it's not expensive.

thanks, hunt
jhunt253
09-13-2011, 08:14 PM #16

going with the remote filter, i'll fabricate the parts tomorrow, got it all figured out. this arzent going be a complicated deal with the benefits far out weighing the trouble, i'll still use the mercedes filter as it's not expensive.

thanks, hunt

AlanMcR
mind - blown

09-18-2011, 12:21 AM #17
For what it is worth, here is another take on the broken glow plug removal process, in this case on a turbo OM606. I published this several years ago and only recently moved it to it's current location on the web. I've pulled two plugs with this method (OM606.964 and OM606.962).

http://sites.google.com/site/alanmcreyno...cedesom606
AlanMcR
09-18-2011, 12:21 AM #17

For what it is worth, here is another take on the broken glow plug removal process, in this case on a turbo OM606. I published this several years ago and only recently moved it to it's current location on the web. I've pulled two plugs with this method (OM606.964 and OM606.962).

jhunt253
Naturally-aspirated

09-21-2011, 05:45 AM #18
(09-18-2011, 12:21 AM)AlanMcR For what it is worth, here is another take on the broken glow plug removal process, in this case on a turbo OM606. I published this several years ago and only recently moved it to it's current location on the web. I've pulled two plugs with this method (OM606.964 and OM606.962).

had to use that system to get #5 out since the gp's tip was still in the prechamber. the gp was stuck so bad that the gp's body broke right where the threads that i taped ended. fortunately the gp had moved enough that the prechamber could be removed. i installed the pump, jacked up the the pressure to about 3500 psi, crossed my fingers,and waited. about a 1/2 hour later what was left of the gp oozed out.

thanks, hunt
jhunt253
09-21-2011, 05:45 AM #18

(09-18-2011, 12:21 AM)AlanMcR For what it is worth, here is another take on the broken glow plug removal process, in this case on a turbo OM606. I published this several years ago and only recently moved it to it's current location on the web. I've pulled two plugs with this method (OM606.964 and OM606.962).

had to use that system to get #5 out since the gp's tip was still in the prechamber. the gp was stuck so bad that the gp's body broke right where the threads that i taped ended. fortunately the gp had moved enough that the prechamber could be removed. i installed the pump, jacked up the the pressure to about 3500 psi, crossed my fingers,and waited. about a 1/2 hour later what was left of the gp oozed out.

thanks, hunt

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average