STD Maintenance General Ingnition switch wiring 84' 300SD

Ingnition switch wiring 84' 300SD

Ingnition switch wiring 84' 300SD

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SmokeyGhost
Naturally-aspirated

08-16-2011, 04:18 PM #1
My first post on STD, not sure if I'm in the right section for this thread but here goes.

Recently, and of course after I had driven 37mi. to work, my key would no longer turn my ignition. I tried and tried and nearly broke the key but it would not turn to the first position. Long story short, I dropped the steering column, cut a slot in the sleeve that holds the steering lock assembly, drilled holes so that I could remove the switch from the steering lock/tumbler assembly.

Since I had everything apart (and because of other unforeseen events) , I figured I might as well have some fun with the situation and put a push-button start in the car. I could find ZERO information on the wiring of the switch so I mapped it out myself for the most part, and heres what I got

This isnt the greatest diagram but should be easy enough to make heads or tails of.

The colored bars represent 12v being applied, the color of the bar represents the key position.

I.E.
Red= Key off/removed from switch
Yellow= Key in 1st position/Accessory
Green= Key in run position
Orange= Key in the cranking position, engaging the starter to crank the engine.

Most of the pins were pretty straight forward but the 15X and P30 pins kind of threw me.

[Image: Ignition%252520connector.jpg]

As far as I can tell, the climate control will only come on if that 15X pin has 12V going to it.

And I have no idea what the P30 pin is for, the car cranks and runs, Accs and climate control all work fine whether that pin has 12V to it or not. So if someone knows what that pin is for then please post.
This post was last modified: 08-16-2011, 04:19 PM by SmokeyGhost.
SmokeyGhost
08-16-2011, 04:18 PM #1

My first post on STD, not sure if I'm in the right section for this thread but here goes.

Recently, and of course after I had driven 37mi. to work, my key would no longer turn my ignition. I tried and tried and nearly broke the key but it would not turn to the first position. Long story short, I dropped the steering column, cut a slot in the sleeve that holds the steering lock assembly, drilled holes so that I could remove the switch from the steering lock/tumbler assembly.

Since I had everything apart (and because of other unforeseen events) , I figured I might as well have some fun with the situation and put a push-button start in the car. I could find ZERO information on the wiring of the switch so I mapped it out myself for the most part, and heres what I got

This isnt the greatest diagram but should be easy enough to make heads or tails of.

The colored bars represent 12v being applied, the color of the bar represents the key position.

I.E.
Red= Key off/removed from switch
Yellow= Key in 1st position/Accessory
Green= Key in run position
Orange= Key in the cranking position, engaging the starter to crank the engine.

Most of the pins were pretty straight forward but the 15X and P30 pins kind of threw me.

[Image: Ignition%252520connector.jpg]

As far as I can tell, the climate control will only come on if that 15X pin has 12V going to it.

And I have no idea what the P30 pin is for, the car cranks and runs, Accs and climate control all work fine whether that pin has 12V to it or not. So if someone knows what that pin is for then please post.

winmutt
bitbanger

08-18-2011, 07:06 AM #2
Lights?

Checked the ETM, P30 is lights, 15R is always hot for ACC.
This post was last modified: 08-18-2011, 07:10 AM by winmutt.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
08-18-2011, 07:06 AM #2

Lights?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

SmokeyGhost
Naturally-aspirated

08-24-2011, 01:06 PM #3
(08-18-2011, 07:06 AM)winmutt Lights?

Thanks Winmutt!!!

Just to update I have everything installed accept a pushbutton vacuum switch to shut off the fuel. I got the switch from http://www.pneumadyne.com/ they have a great selection of pneumatic equipment, and it was only about $20 shipped.
SmokeyGhost
08-24-2011, 01:06 PM #3

(08-18-2011, 07:06 AM)winmutt Lights?

Thanks Winmutt!!!

Just to update I have everything installed accept a pushbutton vacuum switch to shut off the fuel. I got the switch from http://www.pneumadyne.com/ they have a great selection of pneumatic equipment, and it was only about $20 shipped.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average