STD Tuning Engine Dilute solution H2O2 injection

Dilute solution H2O2 injection

Dilute solution H2O2 injection

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-17-2009, 11:57 PM #1
Lets discuss hydrogen peroxide injection (This is NOT related to the hydrogen "generator"/HHO/H2/Brown's gas/etc scams). Commonly available for cheap in a 3-6% solution. Injection would be the same as water/alcohol injection. Perhaps a 3% solution can be used as the water base of the mixture?

Known negatives:
Corrosive to iron
Unstable
Breaks down in light (Why its sold in brown bottles)

Known positives:
Decomposes exothermically into water and oxygen gas
Cheap
Easily procured

Being corrosive to iron is mainly a problem in high (50%+) concentrations. I don't think 3% injected into a running engine under load would leave it in contact long enough to do damage and I'm fairly sure is looses its corrosiveness when it decomposes.
The breakdown problem can be solved by keeping the tank in the trunk and/or painting the tank.
I'm not sure how it interacts with methanol.
I can't find any examples of it being used in this manner.
This post was last modified: 03-18-2009, 12:31 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
03-17-2009, 11:57 PM #1

Lets discuss hydrogen peroxide injection (This is NOT related to the hydrogen "generator"/HHO/H2/Brown's gas/etc scams). Commonly available for cheap in a 3-6% solution. Injection would be the same as water/alcohol injection. Perhaps a 3% solution can be used as the water base of the mixture?

Known negatives:
Corrosive to iron
Unstable
Breaks down in light (Why its sold in brown bottles)

Known positives:
Decomposes exothermically into water and oxygen gas
Cheap
Easily procured

Being corrosive to iron is mainly a problem in high (50%+) concentrations. I don't think 3% injected into a running engine under load would leave it in contact long enough to do damage and I'm fairly sure is looses its corrosiveness when it decomposes.
The breakdown problem can be solved by keeping the tank in the trunk and/or painting the tank.
I'm not sure how it interacts with methanol.
I can't find any examples of it being used in this manner.

winmutt
bitbanger

03-18-2009, 03:03 PM #2
It stinks Smile

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
03-18-2009, 03:03 PM #2

It stinks Smile

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

ConnClark
GT2256V

03-18-2009, 04:46 PM #3
(03-17-2009, 11:57 PM)ForcedInduction Being corrosive to iron is mainly a problem in high (50%+) concentrations. I don't think 3% injected into a running engine under load would leave it in contact long enough to do damage and I'm fairly sure is looses its corrosiveness when it decomposes.
As I understand it the corrosiveness comes from the the slow break down into oxygenated water. Water + Iron + O2 = rust
Quote:The breakdown problem can be solved by keeping the tank in the trunk and/or painting the tank.
It breaks down when exposed to heat as well. There are a number of metals that cause it to decompose on contact. Copper, Silver, etc... Aluminum is a good storage material when it is passivated ( treated with nitric acid to remove traces of copper impurities from the contact surface). It tends to make most plastics brittle as well.
Quote:I'm not sure how it interacts with methanol.
Generally mixing oxidizers and fuel for storage is not a good idea. Since your talking a weak H2O2 solution the explosive potential is not a problem.
Quote:I can't find any examples of it being used in this manner.
http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2000-01-1919
ConnClark
03-18-2009, 04:46 PM #3

(03-17-2009, 11:57 PM)ForcedInduction Being corrosive to iron is mainly a problem in high (50%+) concentrations. I don't think 3% injected into a running engine under load would leave it in contact long enough to do damage and I'm fairly sure is looses its corrosiveness when it decomposes.
As I understand it the corrosiveness comes from the the slow break down into oxygenated water. Water + Iron + O2 = rust
Quote:The breakdown problem can be solved by keeping the tank in the trunk and/or painting the tank.
It breaks down when exposed to heat as well. There are a number of metals that cause it to decompose on contact. Copper, Silver, etc... Aluminum is a good storage material when it is passivated ( treated with nitric acid to remove traces of copper impurities from the contact surface). It tends to make most plastics brittle as well.
Quote:I'm not sure how it interacts with methanol.
Generally mixing oxidizers and fuel for storage is not a good idea. Since your talking a weak H2O2 solution the explosive potential is not a problem.
Quote:I can't find any examples of it being used in this manner.
http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2000-01-1919

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-19-2009, 04:33 AM #4
(03-18-2009, 04:46 PM)ConnClark http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2000-01-1919

Very nice. I'll read through it later.
ForcedInduction
03-19-2009, 04:33 AM #4

(03-18-2009, 04:46 PM)ConnClark http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2000-01-1919

Very nice. I'll read through it later.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average