STD Other Projects JustPassinThru's 1985 300D

JustPassinThru's 1985 300D

JustPassinThru's 1985 300D

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

09-29-2012, 09:00 PM #51
No damage to me except where it hurts the most, in the wallet.

50 MPH two-lane country road through the woods, low beams because there are a few houses near the roadway, 9:30 PM, there was almost a full moon but the roadway was in the deep shadow of 100-to-130 foot Doug firs. I had forgotten to turn the amber fogs on as is my habit out here at night (the ambers light up the wide area outside the shoulders on both sides). Saw a deer up ahead bounding across from my left to right. But I could see it was going to be already into the woods by the time I reached it, so, foolishly, did not slow down --O am I ever kicking myself for that; I *know* that where there is one deer there are often two. Didn't see the second deer until it bounded into the lane about 60-70 feet ahead of me. I had just a split-second to stomp the brakes and crank it left. Unfortunately, the deer had the same idea. It whirled in mid-lane and our respective evasive maneuvers cancelled each other's out.

I barely felt it, though it did make a big thump. However, when I went to drain the radiator this morning, the release lever on my Stant Lev-R-Lock coolant reservoir cap would no longer stay up by itself, and when I pulled the upper hose off the radiator, the barb end of the plastic fitting came with it. So, obviously everything in the engine compartment took a pretty stiff jolt. I would not deem anything safe to re-use unless thoroughly tested.

The car still ran and drove; I turned around and tried to get home. But oil pressure steadily dropped, and when it dipped below 1/2 bar I pulled to the shoulder, hiked the three miles home (no cellphone signal out here), and called Triple A.

Going back to the Merc in my Volks to meet the tow truck driver, a sheriff's deputy had pulled up behind with his flashers on to check it out. He didn't ticket me and in fact was even a little humorous about it. Noticing that the front bumper didn't seem damaged at all, he said "The old Crown Vic's we used to drive were built pretty tough too."

I went searching for a radiator today. Aside from an awful rusty original Behr with the overflow nipple busted off (might not be a problem, though, if I can transfer the brass fitting from the snapped one onto it), I did not succeed in finding a good replacement radiator to put on my silver 300D --until the last yard I tried. Five minutes before closing time. Didn't bring tools with me, of course. I did find something there though that I'd never seen before: a sheepskin cover for the driver seat armrest. A silver lining.
This post was last modified: 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM by JustPassinThru.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).
JustPassinThru
09-29-2012, 09:00 PM #51

No damage to me except where it hurts the most, in the wallet.

50 MPH two-lane country road through the woods, low beams because there are a few houses near the roadway, 9:30 PM, there was almost a full moon but the roadway was in the deep shadow of 100-to-130 foot Doug firs. I had forgotten to turn the amber fogs on as is my habit out here at night (the ambers light up the wide area outside the shoulders on both sides). Saw a deer up ahead bounding across from my left to right. But I could see it was going to be already into the woods by the time I reached it, so, foolishly, did not slow down --O am I ever kicking myself for that; I *know* that where there is one deer there are often two. Didn't see the second deer until it bounded into the lane about 60-70 feet ahead of me. I had just a split-second to stomp the brakes and crank it left. Unfortunately, the deer had the same idea. It whirled in mid-lane and our respective evasive maneuvers cancelled each other's out.

I barely felt it, though it did make a big thump. However, when I went to drain the radiator this morning, the release lever on my Stant Lev-R-Lock coolant reservoir cap would no longer stay up by itself, and when I pulled the upper hose off the radiator, the barb end of the plastic fitting came with it. So, obviously everything in the engine compartment took a pretty stiff jolt. I would not deem anything safe to re-use unless thoroughly tested.

The car still ran and drove; I turned around and tried to get home. But oil pressure steadily dropped, and when it dipped below 1/2 bar I pulled to the shoulder, hiked the three miles home (no cellphone signal out here), and called Triple A.

Going back to the Merc in my Volks to meet the tow truck driver, a sheriff's deputy had pulled up behind with his flashers on to check it out. He didn't ticket me and in fact was even a little humorous about it. Noticing that the front bumper didn't seem damaged at all, he said "The old Crown Vic's we used to drive were built pretty tough too."

I went searching for a radiator today. Aside from an awful rusty original Behr with the overflow nipple busted off (might not be a problem, though, if I can transfer the brass fitting from the snapped one onto it), I did not succeed in finding a good replacement radiator to put on my silver 300D --until the last yard I tried. Five minutes before closing time. Didn't bring tools with me, of course. I did find something there though that I'd never seen before: a sheepskin cover for the driver seat armrest. A silver lining.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-02-2012, 08:21 PM #52
Well sorry to read this news. The pictures of the car doesn't seem that bad. Looks like you can use a come-along attached to a big tree and pull that out. Hopefully the engine wasn't running long with the cracked oil cooler. Seems like a shame to junk that car.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
10-02-2012, 08:21 PM #52

Well sorry to read this news. The pictures of the car doesn't seem that bad. Looks like you can use a come-along attached to a big tree and pull that out. Hopefully the engine wasn't running long with the cracked oil cooler. Seems like a shame to junk that car.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

10-03-2012, 05:08 PM #53
There may be hope. I do have comprehensive, including collision, with just a $200 deductible. My insurance company, PEMCO, instructed me to tow it to the repair shop of my choice last Monday --I chose MB of Bellevue, Washington. Though since MB of B does not do body repairs, they had me tow it to their affiliated body shop, just around the corner and up the street, Bellevue Auto Rebuild. The supervisor there did not seem pessimistic. Then I popped over to MBoB itself, and met a service advisor who himself owns a 1983 300CD. He showed it to me, its palomino interior looks new. He only lets one service tech there work on it. He called the body shop, addressed the supervisor by nickname, instructed him that "when you're done with it there, send it over here to ______ (his preferred service tech)".

So, I'm just waiting now for PEMCO to call with the thumbs-up or down. If PEMCO approves the repair, they will certainly have in me a customer for life. If not, I'm undecided what to do. Frankly, I could use cash right now. But the interior on that blue one is so nice I would give it up only reluctantly. Plus of course it has the high-stall torque converter and 2.88 differential.
This post was last modified: 10-04-2012, 12:02 PM by JustPassinThru.

JustPassinThru
10-03-2012, 05:08 PM #53

There may be hope. I do have comprehensive, including collision, with just a $200 deductible. My insurance company, PEMCO, instructed me to tow it to the repair shop of my choice last Monday --I chose MB of Bellevue, Washington. Though since MB of B does not do body repairs, they had me tow it to their affiliated body shop, just around the corner and up the street, Bellevue Auto Rebuild. The supervisor there did not seem pessimistic. Then I popped over to MBoB itself, and met a service advisor who himself owns a 1983 300CD. He showed it to me, its palomino interior looks new. He only lets one service tech there work on it. He called the body shop, addressed the supervisor by nickname, instructed him that "when you're done with it there, send it over here to ______ (his preferred service tech)".

So, I'm just waiting now for PEMCO to call with the thumbs-up or down. If PEMCO approves the repair, they will certainly have in me a customer for life. If not, I'm undecided what to do. Frankly, I could use cash right now. But the interior on that blue one is so nice I would give it up only reluctantly. Plus of course it has the high-stall torque converter and 2.88 differential.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average