STD Maintenance General priming oil system om617

priming oil system om617

priming oil system om617

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

larsalan
Superturbo

07-01-2011, 08:25 AM #1
This new car may have a problem with the oil cooler. There is oil/grease/dirt all clogged in the vanes. I think there is a leak some where in a line spraying onto the cooler or the cooler itself is slowly leaking.
Since I have another good unit I think a swap is in order. Might have to try and fish those lines in there too Sad
First of all need to see if I can bust the lines loose off of each cooler.
Anyhow, if I get the new one swapped in is there anything special I should do when I crank the motor the first time?
I'm worried that the oil system will be lacking a half-gallon or so an there will be that much air in there.

I guess I can try and prefill the cooler but there is still going to be some air in there.

Maybe there is nothing to worry about. After all how is any of this different than a normal oil change.
This post was last modified: 07-01-2011, 09:01 AM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
07-01-2011, 08:25 AM #1

This new car may have a problem with the oil cooler. There is oil/grease/dirt all clogged in the vanes. I think there is a leak some where in a line spraying onto the cooler or the cooler itself is slowly leaking.
Since I have another good unit I think a swap is in order. Might have to try and fish those lines in there too Sad
First of all need to see if I can bust the lines loose off of each cooler.
Anyhow, if I get the new one swapped in is there anything special I should do when I crank the motor the first time?
I'm worried that the oil system will be lacking a half-gallon or so an there will be that much air in there.

I guess I can try and prefill the cooler but there is still going to be some air in there.

Maybe there is nothing to worry about. After all how is any of this different than a normal oil change.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

07-01-2011, 02:22 PM #2
Don't worry about it. There is plenty of oil in the filter housing to go through the engine for only a portion of it goes through the cooler. Also the cooler line is a thermostatically controlled valve that will slowly open later as the engine warms up, so oil will eventually fill the area before it is in full use.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM #2

Don't worry about it. There is plenty of oil in the filter housing to go through the engine for only a portion of it goes through the cooler. Also the cooler line is a thermostatically controlled valve that will slowly open later as the engine warms up, so oil will eventually fill the area before it is in full use.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average