STD Tuning Engine om606 with 5/30 oil?

om606 with 5/30 oil?

om606 with 5/30 oil?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HughF_UK
GT2256V

06-28-2011, 08:03 AM #1
I would like to standardise across my diesel fleet on one oil, if I can. My ford transit runs 5/30 synthetic, can I use this in my 606 too?

My only concern was it is too thin when cold for this old design of engine, compared with the ford duratorq in the transit, the 606 is older and everything is bigger and chunkier. Perhaps the cold start flow performance would be a benefit?

Hugh
HughF_UK
06-28-2011, 08:03 AM #1

I would like to standardise across my diesel fleet on one oil, if I can. My ford transit runs 5/30 synthetic, can I use this in my 606 too?

My only concern was it is too thin when cold for this old design of engine, compared with the ford duratorq in the transit, the 606 is older and everything is bigger and chunkier. Perhaps the cold start flow performance would be a benefit?

Hugh

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

06-29-2011, 10:59 AM #2
In one of the G-wagen forums, we've been discussing this article:
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq...oil_basics

It's a very long winded article but also packed with lots of great information on choices of oil and how to choose for a specific vehicle and use type.

it's probably worth a read for anyone power tuning their cars. However, it doesn't cover diesel-specific formulas and what the additives for those oils do for diesel engines.

edit: I should add that it does make a strong case for using lighter oils like 5W-30 for some of the more common (short trip) drive patterns.

-C
This post was last modified: 06-29-2011, 11:01 AM by Syncro_G.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
06-29-2011, 10:59 AM #2

In one of the G-wagen forums, we've been discussing this article:
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq...oil_basics

It's a very long winded article but also packed with lots of great information on choices of oil and how to choose for a specific vehicle and use type.

it's probably worth a read for anyone power tuning their cars. However, it doesn't cover diesel-specific formulas and what the additives for those oils do for diesel engines.

edit: I should add that it does make a strong case for using lighter oils like 5W-30 for some of the more common (short trip) drive patterns.

-C

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average