STD Maintenance General leaking injector om617

leaking injector om617

leaking injector om617

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

larsalan
Superturbo

06-14-2011, 10:12 PM #1
On the new car it seems like the #5 injector (is that the rear most?) is leaking.
The overflow lines were for sure leaking but I think that it also leaks out the sides. Like from the threads where it would separate into parts, not from where the fuel is fed in.

What's the treatment to remedy the leak? Do the separate halves of the injector need to be torqued to a certain tightness? Or is locktight in order?
Must I have a new heat shield on hand it I pull the injector off the head?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
06-14-2011, 10:12 PM #1

On the new car it seems like the #5 injector (is that the rear most?) is leaking.
The overflow lines were for sure leaking but I think that it also leaks out the sides. Like from the threads where it would separate into parts, not from where the fuel is fed in.

What's the treatment to remedy the leak? Do the separate halves of the injector need to be torqued to a certain tightness? Or is locktight in order?
Must I have a new heat shield on hand it I pull the injector off the head?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

06-15-2011, 10:10 AM #2
I have had great success separating the 2 halves then re- tightening and repeating the process numerous times before final torqueing (tightening really good works for me about 70-90 lb.ft)

You should replace the shield, but its quite possible to bang the center back into place and re-use it. The inner diameter is almost at the same height as the top surface (looking at the profile) when new.
totaldisaster
06-15-2011, 10:10 AM #2

I have had great success separating the 2 halves then re- tightening and repeating the process numerous times before final torqueing (tightening really good works for me about 70-90 lb.ft)

You should replace the shield, but its quite possible to bang the center back into place and re-use it. The inner diameter is almost at the same height as the top surface (looking at the profile) when new.

Hercules
GT2559V

06-15-2011, 07:55 PM #3
mbz says 50lbs. Distortsion of barrel occurs , this causing pintel to over heat,begins to stick, renewal will become necessary.This does take some miles to happen. (Leak) Caused by uneven mating surfaces in injector. Repair, Remove inj. separate, hone all mating surfaces (600 grit) wet /dry on flat surface, using figure eight motion,clean all parts ,blow off,lube, retorque 50lbs install in head also 50 lbs. Careful not to lose shim under spring in inj.

Over tightening can cause Hard start cold,noise,rough idle,poor performance.
Hercules
06-15-2011, 07:55 PM #3

mbz says 50lbs. Distortsion of barrel occurs , this causing pintel to over heat,begins to stick, renewal will become necessary.This does take some miles to happen. (Leak) Caused by uneven mating surfaces in injector. Repair, Remove inj. separate, hone all mating surfaces (600 grit) wet /dry on flat surface, using figure eight motion,clean all parts ,blow off,lube, retorque 50lbs install in head also 50 lbs. Careful not to lose shim under spring in inj.

Over tightening can cause Hard start cold,noise,rough idle,poor performance.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average