STD Tuning Engine Om603 problems

Om603 problems

Om603 problems

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

OilBurner
Naturally-aspirated

06-12-2011, 03:52 PM #1
New here and have a couple questions you guys might be able to help me with. I have a 300sdl with the om603. Injectors have been rebuild but the problem started with a lot of carbon build up in the prechampers. I have also replaced the injection pump thinking it might be the cause. Since the injection pump install i have lots of black smoke on start up and lots of blow by at an idle but goes away after idle. The engine runs fine and has plenty of power. Could I have the timing off causing all of this or could I have a cracked head causing low compression any ideas would help. Thanks
OilBurner
06-12-2011, 03:52 PM #1

New here and have a couple questions you guys might be able to help me with. I have a 300sdl with the om603. Injectors have been rebuild but the problem started with a lot of carbon build up in the prechampers. I have also replaced the injection pump thinking it might be the cause. Since the injection pump install i have lots of black smoke on start up and lots of blow by at an idle but goes away after idle. The engine runs fine and has plenty of power. Could I have the timing off causing all of this or could I have a cracked head causing low compression any ideas would help. Thanks

tomnik
Holset

06-13-2011, 01:49 AM #2
was the replacement ip tested on a bench before?
Does she fire up instantly or do you have to crank more than 3-5 seconds?
Start up smoke can be from too high starting quantity (pump adjustment) or some bad glow plugs or bad lift pump.
Lift pump is also a candidate for idle smoke.

Check your glow plugs and change the lift pump and report back.

Tom
tomnik
06-13-2011, 01:49 AM #2

was the replacement ip tested on a bench before?
Does she fire up instantly or do you have to crank more than 3-5 seconds?
Start up smoke can be from too high starting quantity (pump adjustment) or some bad glow plugs or bad lift pump.
Lift pump is also a candidate for idle smoke.

Check your glow plugs and change the lift pump and report back.

Tom

OilBurner
Naturally-aspirated

06-14-2011, 05:16 PM #3
Injection pump is a reman from bosch. Has an added walbro fuel pump also has new glow plugs. Cold cranking can take over 5secs and stumbles when it does fire, but warm it fires right up. It does feel like it has a miss coming off idle but other than sitting there smoking at idle she has plenty of power and runs fine as far as I think.
This post was last modified: 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM by OilBurner.
OilBurner
06-14-2011, 05:16 PM #3

Injection pump is a reman from bosch. Has an added walbro fuel pump also has new glow plugs. Cold cranking can take over 5secs and stumbles when it does fire, but warm it fires right up. It does feel like it has a miss coming off idle but other than sitting there smoking at idle she has plenty of power and runs fine as far as I think.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

06-14-2011, 08:35 PM #4
Is the walbro in addition to the original mechanical lift pump? If so to much pressure to the pump will make them smoke at idle!

I would use just the stock mechanical lift pump!!!

my car likes to have the glow plugs run about 10secs longer after the light goes off! That helps it start a lot better I'm planing on doing the after glow mod!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
06-14-2011, 08:35 PM #4

Is the walbro in addition to the original mechanical lift pump? If so to much pressure to the pump will make them smoke at idle!

I would use just the stock mechanical lift pump!!!

my car likes to have the glow plugs run about 10secs longer after the light goes off! That helps it start a lot better I'm planing on doing the after glow mod!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

tomnik
Holset

06-15-2011, 12:04 AM #5
(06-14-2011, 08:35 PM)willbhere4u If so to much pressure to the pump will make them smoke at idle!

the 60x engines are sensitive to low fuel supply pressure.
Too high pressure will exit through the check valve into the return line.
With my 7.5mm elements I want to see not less than 3 bar after the main filter into the pump.
I observed idle smoke when the fuel pressure was too low.

5 sec cranking and warmed up instantly start up sounds like glow plugs and air. Can you monitor the fuel pressure?

Tom
tomnik
06-15-2011, 12:04 AM #5

(06-14-2011, 08:35 PM)willbhere4u If so to much pressure to the pump will make them smoke at idle!

the 60x engines are sensitive to low fuel supply pressure.
Too high pressure will exit through the check valve into the return line.
With my 7.5mm elements I want to see not less than 3 bar after the main filter into the pump.
I observed idle smoke when the fuel pressure was too low.

5 sec cranking and warmed up instantly start up sounds like glow plugs and air. Can you monitor the fuel pressure?

Tom

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average