STD Maintenance General valve part name

valve part name

valve part name

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

larsalan
Superturbo

06-12-2011, 10:18 AM #1
I need this part labeled 72. How can I get it at the auto part store? Like what is it called.
[Image: vacuum.jpg]

will 'surge damper' work?
Is that part even necessary?
This post was last modified: 06-12-2011, 10:22 AM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
06-12-2011, 10:18 AM #1

I need this part labeled 72. How can I get it at the auto part store? Like what is it called.
[Image: vacuum.jpg]

will 'surge damper' work?
Is that part even necessary?

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

06-12-2011, 10:55 AM #2
dashpot

don't you have one laying around from your tear-down?

the system will work without it until you get one.
totaldisaster
06-12-2011, 10:55 AM #2

dashpot

don't you have one laying around from your tear-down?

the system will work without it until you get one.

larsalan
Superturbo

06-12-2011, 11:11 AM #3
Think I might have tossed it in the trash. I looked around the house and driveway but, don't see it.

larsalan
06-12-2011, 11:11 AM #3

Think I might have tossed it in the trash. I looked around the house and driveway but, don't see it.

larsalan
Superturbo

06-12-2011, 06:53 PM #4
Well shit, I hooked up that VCV to the trans modulator and now the shutoff armature or whatever it's called won't cut the fuel.
Fucking vacuum leaks.
Wonder if the modulator or VCV could be replaced. Both a pain in the ass no doubt. Especially the modulator.

larsalan
06-12-2011, 06:53 PM #4

Well shit, I hooked up that VCV to the trans modulator and now the shutoff armature or whatever it's called won't cut the fuel.
Fucking vacuum leaks.
Wonder if the modulator or VCV could be replaced. Both a pain in the ass no doubt. Especially the modulator.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

06-12-2011, 07:37 PM #5
I hope you re-read my post.. it was edited.

That line off the top of the VCV needs to also be connected to the brake booster line, as shown in your diagram.
totaldisaster
06-12-2011, 07:37 PM #5

I hope you re-read my post.. it was edited.

That line off the top of the VCV needs to also be connected to the brake booster line, as shown in your diagram.

larsalan
Superturbo

06-12-2011, 08:02 PM #6
That's that big hard line coming right from the vacuum pump, right?
The top of VCV is hooked to that line and the trans modulator. Just noticed the side of VCV is not hooked up!

Held a vacuum on the top of VCV and trans modulator fine, pulled the fuel cut-off actuator and it works.

Tried to hook the side of the VCV into the 'brake-booster line' (the line coming right off the vacuum pump)
Still no joy.
looks like I am missing 'a' from the diagram (vent to passenger compartment).
will that foul the shutoff operation?
Have no idea what that would be. There are 4 options of lines leading through the firewall that aren't connected.
This post was last modified: 06-12-2011, 08:04 PM by larsalan.

larsalan
06-12-2011, 08:02 PM #6

That's that big hard line coming right from the vacuum pump, right?
The top of VCV is hooked to that line and the trans modulator. Just noticed the side of VCV is not hooked up!

Held a vacuum on the top of VCV and trans modulator fine, pulled the fuel cut-off actuator and it works.

Tried to hook the side of the VCV into the 'brake-booster line' (the line coming right off the vacuum pump)
Still no joy.

looks like I am missing 'a' from the diagram (vent to passenger compartment).
will that foul the shutoff operation?
Have no idea what that would be. There are 4 options of lines leading through the firewall that aren't connected.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

06-12-2011, 08:22 PM #7
yes, 'a' is very important even though it is just an open line that hangs out under the dash.

Find a loose (usually), black vacuum line that runs into the cabin by pulling on them individually. Connect to the loose line... it should not hold any vacuum whatsoever.
totaldisaster
06-12-2011, 08:22 PM #7

yes, 'a' is very important even though it is just an open line that hangs out under the dash.

Find a loose (usually), black vacuum line that runs into the cabin by pulling on them individually. Connect to the loose line... it should not hold any vacuum whatsoever.

larsalan
Superturbo

06-12-2011, 08:27 PM #8
Will look again tomorrow. It's dark now.
Also read post 2 in this thread
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/show...p?t=231684
seems to be getting at the same thing.
I wonder why the trans modulator and VCV were totally bypassed?

One for the win column, shifting is better with the modulator connected to the vac circuit.
This post was last modified: 06-12-2011, 08:29 PM by larsalan.

larsalan
06-12-2011, 08:27 PM #8

Will look again tomorrow. It's dark now.
Also read post 2 in this thread
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/show...p?t=231684
seems to be getting at the same thing.
I wonder why the trans modulator and VCV were totally bypassed?

One for the win column, shifting is better with the modulator connected to the vac circuit.

larsalan
Superturbo

06-13-2011, 04:34 PM #9
A little more help would be great.
What is 'a' and what is '62'
I had tried to complete that diagram eliminating the egr stuff.
But why won't it shut off now. I am so mad. I have the diagram all completed except 'a' and I don't have a clue what '62' is supposed to be.
Tried to hook up each of the lines going through the fire wall as 'a' and none would let the key turn the fuel off. 2 of those lines held a vac and 2 held none. None were black. There was brown, red, the doorlock circuit and some other.

If 'a' is supposed to be just an open line a 'vent' I would try that. So I did and that also doesn't work.

Maybe I need a new approach. I can tell the vac pump is working, the VCV top held a vacuum, didn't test the side, the trans modulator held a vacuum.

How should I solve this problem?
Just tested the side of the VCV. It does not hold a vacuum. Nor does the one on my spare pump.
But that motor wouldn't stop either.
Is that how it's supposed to be or would it be broken and effecting the shut off?
It this elusive black line through the firewall supposed to lead to the front reservoir tank?
I believe that maybe the problem. Is that where all the vacuum to pull the fuel shutoff it supposed to come from?
This post was last modified: 06-13-2011, 05:17 PM by larsalan.

larsalan
06-13-2011, 04:34 PM #9

A little more help would be great.
What is 'a' and what is '62'
I had tried to complete that diagram eliminating the egr stuff.
But why won't it shut off now. I am so mad. I have the diagram all completed except 'a' and I don't have a clue what '62' is supposed to be.
Tried to hook up each of the lines going through the fire wall as 'a' and none would let the key turn the fuel off. 2 of those lines held a vac and 2 held none. None were black. There was brown, red, the doorlock circuit and some other.

If 'a' is supposed to be just an open line a 'vent' I would try that. So I did and that also doesn't work.

Maybe I need a new approach. I can tell the vac pump is working, the VCV top held a vacuum, didn't test the side, the trans modulator held a vacuum.

How should I solve this problem?

Just tested the side of the VCV. It does not hold a vacuum. Nor does the one on my spare pump.
But that motor wouldn't stop either.
Is that how it's supposed to be or would it be broken and effecting the shut off?
It this elusive black line through the firewall supposed to lead to the front reservoir tank?
I believe that maybe the problem. Is that where all the vacuum to pull the fuel shutoff it supposed to come from?

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

06-13-2011, 05:37 PM #10
It won't shutoff because 'a' is a vent to atmospheric pressure. The system needs to be able to relieve itself.
62 is a male/male coupling with a smaller inner diameter to restrict vacuum supply.

the vcv should not hold vacuum unless you plug one of the ends.
also, make sure you are pulling vacuum from the correct port on the brake booster line as shown in the photo.
This post was last modified: 06-13-2011, 05:41 PM by totaldisaster.
totaldisaster
06-13-2011, 05:37 PM #10

It won't shutoff because 'a' is a vent to atmospheric pressure. The system needs to be able to relieve itself.

62 is a male/male coupling with a smaller inner diameter to restrict vacuum supply.

the vcv should not hold vacuum unless you plug one of the ends.
also, make sure you are pulling vacuum from the correct port on the brake booster line as shown in the photo.

larsalan
Superturbo

06-13-2011, 05:52 PM #11
Well the VCV is holding vacuum from the top with the other end open.

This thread is dead and so confused. I have done all these things that are suggested but none result in the motor shutting off with the key.

I vented that 'a' and that didn't work either.

I do appreciate all your advice but this is not working. See the new thread.
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/show...p?tid=2712

I have ordered a dashpot from amazon too.

larsalan
06-13-2011, 05:52 PM #11

Well the VCV is holding vacuum from the top with the other end open.

This thread is dead and so confused. I have done all these things that are suggested but none result in the motor shutting off with the key.

Hercules
GT2559V

06-13-2011, 06:03 PM #12
Mbz calls "a" vent line,VCV to under dash,(line is open).Mbz calls "62" Vac valve.(Brake booster check valve with vac. conn.) Start here. Connection "c" consumers,ck.vac. at connection,line tee"s one to key switch,usually brown. TEST,,with vac. line pulled from pump shut-off,(black or brown/bl).Apply vac."c"conn.brown key ON,will hold,key off will vent. Now plug the line you think goes to pump,with key off will now hold,( completed circuit) Good luck . IF this does not work Poss. lines pulled from key vac.switch or switch oil soaked.
Hercules
06-13-2011, 06:03 PM #12

Mbz calls "a" vent line,VCV to under dash,(line is open).Mbz calls "62" Vac valve.(Brake booster check valve with vac. conn.) Start here. Connection "c" consumers,ck.vac. at connection,line tee"s one to key switch,usually brown. TEST,,with vac. line pulled from pump shut-off,(black or brown/bl).Apply vac."c"conn.brown key ON,will hold,key off will vent. Now plug the line you think goes to pump,with key off will now hold,( completed circuit) Good luck . IF this does not work Poss. lines pulled from key vac.switch or switch oil soaked.

RonB
TA 0301

06-17-2011, 03:44 AM #13
(06-13-2011, 05:52 PM)larsalan Well the VCV is holding vacuum from the top with the other end open.

'a' is just a vent and hangs in the breeze. Most of the time it's simply pushed through a firewall grommet .
regarding engine not stopping ;
On your ignition switch is vacuum line from 'c'. is it still connected to the switch?
There should be line from the switch back to the injection pump vacuum control valve .
With the engine running ,you can suck on the end of this tube when you pull it off the switch. The engine should stop . If not,the rubber connectors will need replacing or the vacuum control valve is fualty.

RonB
06-17-2011, 03:44 AM #13

(06-13-2011, 05:52 PM)larsalan Well the VCV is holding vacuum from the top with the other end open.

'a' is just a vent and hangs in the breeze. Most of the time it's simply pushed through a firewall grommet .
regarding engine not stopping ;
On your ignition switch is vacuum line from 'c'. is it still connected to the switch?
There should be line from the switch back to the injection pump vacuum control valve .
With the engine running ,you can suck on the end of this tube when you pull it off the switch. The engine should stop . If not,the rubber connectors will need replacing or the vacuum control valve is fualty.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average