STD Other Open i got some servers, wat do

i got some servers, wat do

i got some servers, wat do

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

stan
Holset

05-09-2011, 01:44 AM #1
a friend just gifted me 3 servers!

they each have two dual-core opterons (2ghz 64-bit). they're supermicro towers. i've got a stack of five 512mb ram sticks for them. i'll definitely need to get more ram, and i need some HDs (the towers have supermicro sata-743 backplanes). but then they should be ready to rock.

question is, wtf awesome things should i do with these servers once i have them running? when i did IT work it was alwasy just enterprise level windows crap, nothing related to anything remotely useful for me (except if i wanted to run exchange or something). i'm sure there is a ton of cool stuff to do (i'm fine using linux) with these but i just don't know what.
stan
05-09-2011, 01:44 AM #1

a friend just gifted me 3 servers!

they each have two dual-core opterons (2ghz 64-bit). they're supermicro towers. i've got a stack of five 512mb ram sticks for them. i'll definitely need to get more ram, and i need some HDs (the towers have supermicro sata-743 backplanes). but then they should be ready to rock.

question is, wtf awesome things should i do with these servers once i have them running? when i did IT work it was alwasy just enterprise level windows crap, nothing related to anything remotely useful for me (except if i wanted to run exchange or something). i'm sure there is a ton of cool stuff to do (i'm fine using linux) with these but i just don't know what.

300SD81
GT2559V

05-10-2011, 12:27 AM #2
I'm basically running all my own services, got a dual xeon X3220 (quad core) with 16 gigs of ram here. Basically got the motherboard + cpus from a guy that had no clue what he had, and started building from there. Its running non-ecc ram, so that was pretty cheap. Got 7 virtual servers in hyper-v running everything.. router, exchange, web server, domain controller (+dhcp+dns), file/media server. A couple virtualized desktops for different (somewhat conflicting) dev environments and some test machines including one running windows 8..

Plenty of fun to be had, as long as you know how to manage them...and how to fix things if your completely dependent on it like me. Last time I had the C: drive fail on it, I was completely worthless all day since my laptop has basically nothing on it. Thankfully everything was in separate drives for the virtual machines and it was back online as soon I as could reconfigure them.
This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 12:32 AM by 300SD81.

Ich liebe meine Autos!

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | 156K Miles | 2nd Owner | EGR Disabled [Removal Pending] | ALDA Removed | Straight Pipes | GT2256V??? | Laser Interceptor | Engine swap over summer, hopefully with GT2256V attached...

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | Odo Stopped at 160K (at least 50K more) | EGR Disabled | ALDA All The Way Out | Straight pipes | FM-870 Remote Start Alarm System | B100 Biodiesel | AC Fixed x2 | Trunk crushed in Sad | Retired to garage.

Excessive speeding? It ain't excessive till I redline!
300SD81
05-10-2011, 12:27 AM #2

I'm basically running all my own services, got a dual xeon X3220 (quad core) with 16 gigs of ram here. Basically got the motherboard + cpus from a guy that had no clue what he had, and started building from there. Its running non-ecc ram, so that was pretty cheap. Got 7 virtual servers in hyper-v running everything.. router, exchange, web server, domain controller (+dhcp+dns), file/media server. A couple virtualized desktops for different (somewhat conflicting) dev environments and some test machines including one running windows 8..

Plenty of fun to be had, as long as you know how to manage them...and how to fix things if your completely dependent on it like me. Last time I had the C: drive fail on it, I was completely worthless all day since my laptop has basically nothing on it. Thankfully everything was in separate drives for the virtual machines and it was back online as soon I as could reconfigure them.

Ich liebe meine Autos!

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | 156K Miles | 2nd Owner | EGR Disabled [Removal Pending] | ALDA Removed | Straight Pipes | GT2256V??? | Laser Interceptor | Engine swap over summer, hopefully with GT2256V attached...

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD | Odo Stopped at 160K (at least 50K more) | EGR Disabled | ALDA All The Way Out | Straight pipes | FM-870 Remote Start Alarm System | B100 Biodiesel | AC Fixed x2 | Trunk crushed in Sad | Retired to garage.

Excessive speeding? It ain't excessive till I redline!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average