Somebody told me wilt one cap full would increase the explosion by about 40%
z!!!
05-08-2011, 02:22 PM #1

What will happen?

Somebody told me wilt one cap full would increase the explosion by about 40%

larsalan
Superturbo

05-08-2011, 02:36 PM #2
sounds good to me, it's flammable. acetone is soluble in water and/or oil. go for it. I would bet up to 10% would be no big deal. Past that who knows.

this chart
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specif...d_151.html

says acetone has a bit more energy per weight than kerosene. I don't know about by volume though.
This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 02:37 PM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
05-08-2011, 02:36 PM #2

sounds good to me, it's flammable. acetone is soluble in water and/or oil. go for it. I would bet up to 10% would be no big deal. Past that who knows.

this chart
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specif...d_151.html

says acetone has a bit more energy per weight than kerosene. I don't know about by volume though.

erling66
SuperDieselVan

05-08-2011, 04:16 PM #3
Quote:Somebody told me wilt one cap full would increase the explosion by about 40%
Ask him to be more specific, increased energy, or temperature, or flame front speed? And is he talking about mixing it with diesel or WVO or BD?

Quote:says acetone has a bit more energy per weight than kerosene. I don't know about by volume though.

Specific heat does not mean combustion energy, it means how much energy the liquid conserve when it is hot. As you can see water comes high up on the list.

I doubt that acetone will increase power very much, some say it will help combustion to start earlier and make it more complete when you run WVO, some say they did not feel any difference. Probably it is just a myth.

HuhCoolTongue
erling66
05-08-2011, 04:16 PM #3

Quote:Somebody told me wilt one cap full would increase the explosion by about 40%
Ask him to be more specific, increased energy, or temperature, or flame front speed? And is he talking about mixing it with diesel or WVO or BD?

Quote:says acetone has a bit more energy per weight than kerosene. I don't know about by volume though.

Specific heat does not mean combustion energy, it means how much energy the liquid conserve when it is hot. As you can see water comes high up on the list.

I doubt that acetone will increase power very much, some say it will help combustion to start earlier and make it more complete when you run WVO, some say they did not feel any difference. Probably it is just a myth.

HuhCoolTongue

Mark_M
GT2559V

08-06-2012, 09:02 PM #4
Acetone is easier to ignite too much in a diesel engine and it will go bang the same as putting too much petrol in. I don't know if they still do it (doubtful) but in days gone by UK Taxi drivers used to put Acetone in during the winter to help cold winter starts and also to help stop diesel waxing. Its great stuff for clearing water out of tanks as well as, water mixes with it and it then mixes with diesel.
Mark_M
08-06-2012, 09:02 PM #4

Acetone is easier to ignite too much in a diesel engine and it will go bang the same as putting too much petrol in. I don't know if they still do it (doubtful) but in days gone by UK Taxi drivers used to put Acetone in during the winter to help cold winter starts and also to help stop diesel waxing. Its great stuff for clearing water out of tanks as well as, water mixes with it and it then mixes with diesel.

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

08-09-2012, 12:53 AM #5
About a year ago, I tried adding acetone to #2 ULSD (ordinary pump diesel). I found that any quantity over about 15 ml acetone per 4 gallons of diesel, made the engine idle rough. At about 30 ml acetone per 4 gallons #2 diesel, I did feel a very, very slight increase in engine power at freeway speeds. On a local steep long hill straightaway, going up, I was getting 71 MPH at the top with 30 ml acetone per 4 gallons diesel, only 69-1/2 MPH without. This is just a single run each time. Perhaps air temperature and humidity had more to do with the difference than the acetone.

#2 diesel is wayyy too expensive nowadays --diesel has gone from $1.70 to $4.00 a gallon since Obama was inaugurated-- , so I burn a mixture containing 87% WVO.

Over the course of the last ~ 22,000 miles I have been experimenting with adding acetone to my veggie oil fuel mixture, because acetone, or, to be more precise, acetone in combination with turpentine, is an effective solvent for polymerized canola oil, which is like some kind of glue-y wax and so of course threatens to stick up everything in the fuel system between the fuel tank and the injectors.

I have found that 15 ml acetone per 4 gallons of canola oil, causes rough idle. But I can get away with 5 ml acetone per 4 gallons canola oil, and at 5 ml acetone the idle remains smooth.

Probably helps take any small quantity of stray water out of the tank too, just as Mark_M indicates, no matter whether you use #2 diesel or veggie oil as fuel.

But you are not going to see any significant increase in horsepower.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).
JustPassinThru
08-09-2012, 12:53 AM #5

About a year ago, I tried adding acetone to #2 ULSD (ordinary pump diesel). I found that any quantity over about 15 ml acetone per 4 gallons of diesel, made the engine idle rough. At about 30 ml acetone per 4 gallons #2 diesel, I did feel a very, very slight increase in engine power at freeway speeds. On a local steep long hill straightaway, going up, I was getting 71 MPH at the top with 30 ml acetone per 4 gallons diesel, only 69-1/2 MPH without. This is just a single run each time. Perhaps air temperature and humidity had more to do with the difference than the acetone.

#2 diesel is wayyy too expensive nowadays --diesel has gone from $1.70 to $4.00 a gallon since Obama was inaugurated-- , so I burn a mixture containing 87% WVO.

Over the course of the last ~ 22,000 miles I have been experimenting with adding acetone to my veggie oil fuel mixture, because acetone, or, to be more precise, acetone in combination with turpentine, is an effective solvent for polymerized canola oil, which is like some kind of glue-y wax and so of course threatens to stick up everything in the fuel system between the fuel tank and the injectors.

I have found that 15 ml acetone per 4 gallons of canola oil, causes rough idle. But I can get away with 5 ml acetone per 4 gallons canola oil, and at 5 ml acetone the idle remains smooth.

Probably helps take any small quantity of stray water out of the tank too, just as Mark_M indicates, no matter whether you use #2 diesel or veggie oil as fuel.

But you are not going to see any significant increase in horsepower.

larsalan
Superturbo

08-09-2012, 06:26 AM #6
(08-09-2012, 12:53 AM)JustPassinThru #2 diesel is wayyy too expensive nowadays --diesel has gone from $1.70 to $4.00 a gallon since Obama was inaugurated-- , so I burn a mixture containing 87% WVO.

you could just say- over the last 4 years. It's not as if the pres has much to do with oil prices or the price of tea in China.
I am not some sort of dem loving politico. I have disdain for the entire govt. But it is laughable to blame all kinds of shit on one scapegoat/figurehead.

Also, I have changed my position on acetone in fuel. I don't use it. 'Mineral spirits' or 'paint thinner' yes. I smell the petroleum distillate and if it has a spikey, knock you back odor it is not for me. But if it's nice and light then I think it's alright.

larsalan
08-09-2012, 06:26 AM #6

(08-09-2012, 12:53 AM)JustPassinThru #2 diesel is wayyy too expensive nowadays --diesel has gone from $1.70 to $4.00 a gallon since Obama was inaugurated-- , so I burn a mixture containing 87% WVO.

you could just say- over the last 4 years. It's not as if the pres has much to do with oil prices or the price of tea in China.
I am not some sort of dem loving politico. I have disdain for the entire govt. But it is laughable to blame all kinds of shit on one scapegoat/figurehead.

Also, I have changed my position on acetone in fuel. I don't use it. 'Mineral spirits' or 'paint thinner' yes. I smell the petroleum distillate and if it has a spikey, knock you back odor it is not for me. But if it's nice and light then I think it's alright.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-09-2012, 07:19 AM #7
Funny, I remember paying $5.25 for diesel pre Obama

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
08-09-2012, 07:19 AM #7

Funny, I remember paying $5.25 for diesel pre Obama

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

led-panzer
Holset

08-09-2012, 08:31 AM #8
(08-09-2012, 07:19 AM)Simpler=Better Funny, I remember paying $5.25 for diesel pre Obama

Hear Hear.

1984 300D 4-speed ~200,000 miles
7.5mm M-pump, GT3582 turbo, F-Tune Performance intake/exhaust manifolds, A/A intercooler, 315 nozzles, Enlarged prechambers, Bosch 044 feed pump, Custom lightweight flywheel with 240mm clutch, Lowered, 17" AMG rims - 300 hp OM617 project
1985 300D 280,000 miles RIP
2001 F350 7.3 DP tuner, 4"exhaust, S&B intake
led-panzer
08-09-2012, 08:31 AM #8

(08-09-2012, 07:19 AM)Simpler=Better Funny, I remember paying $5.25 for diesel pre Obama

Hear Hear.

1984 300D 4-speed ~200,000 miles
7.5mm M-pump, GT3582 turbo, F-Tune Performance intake/exhaust manifolds, A/A intercooler, 315 nozzles, Enlarged prechambers, Bosch 044 feed pump, Custom lightweight flywheel with 240mm clutch, Lowered, 17" AMG rims - 300 hp OM617 project
1985 300D 280,000 miles RIP
2001 F350 7.3 DP tuner, 4"exhaust, S&B intake

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-09-2012, 08:58 AM #9
Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides (all politicians lie) but damn-fuel is cheap these days. Back in 05 I was paying $3.20 for fuel, now it's $3.65...not too bad for 7 years later.

Simpler=Better
08-09-2012, 08:58 AM #9

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides (all politicians lie) but damn-fuel is cheap these days. Back in 05 I was paying $3.20 for fuel, now it's $3.65...not too bad for 7 years later.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

08-09-2012, 03:16 PM #10
Not being a stickler to details, but Obama came into office on Jan. 20 2009.
Here is proof prices skyrocketed during the Bush administration.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=207230

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
08-09-2012, 03:16 PM #10

Not being a stickler to details, but Obama came into office on Jan. 20 2009.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

08-09-2012, 04:26 PM #11
(08-09-2012, 03:16 PM)DeliveryValve Not being a stickler to details, but Obama came into office on Jan. 20 2009.

True, fuel prices first spiked under Bush Junior; I remember paying over $4 for gasoline, at one point. I can't pretend to be an expert on the petroleum industry, but it is my guess that mainly this was because of the cutoff of supply from Iraq after he invaded it on false pretenses, in support of the Osama-and-19-Arab-hijackers-did-911 whopper.

But then Bush and his circle decided to weaken the world's #1 oil producer, Russia, and attempt to destabilize Iran and Libya, whilst simultaneously trying to aid the presidential campaign of the 2008 Republican nominee, John McCain, all by engineering a *fall* in crude prices. This was accomplished through coordinated short selling of oil futures contracts. Which was the reason why fuel was so cheap when Obama took office. Relatively cheap, anyway --Christ, I can remember when both a hamburger and a gallon of gas cost nineteen cents.

Unfortunately for you people who use diesel and gasoline as your sole automotive fuels, Obama kept in place the no-oil-out-of-Iraq policy.

Also allowed BP to drill in the dangerous Macondo field, which shut supply down from the Gulf of Mexico for awhile. Also blocked the Keystone pipeline, which has had the effect of putting on hold the development of very large Alaskan North Slope fields. Also OK'ed and facilitated the invasion of Libya, with the result being the complete stoppage of its oil production. And meanwhile he let the oil futures speculators run rampant again. All these are Obama's decisions, no one else's. He is indeed directly to blame for the current high prices.

Now that Japan has turned to oil to replace nuclear for the generation of electricity, Japanese demand is driving prices higher. The shutdown of that refinery in California last week, owing to fire, is predicted to raise prices again shortly.

If Obama goes to war, or allows Israel to go to war, against Iran, with the resultant closure of the Strait of Hormuz to oil tanker traffic, you'll see $5 or even $6 a gallon diesel pretty quickly.

Am I saying that Romney would be any better? Nah, probably not. Both parties are on a mass murder agenda spree.

But we *know* what Obama could have done to keep prices down. He didn't. The only thing Bush had to do with the rise in fuel prices since Obama was inaugurated, was that it was he who shut down Iraqi production in the first place. I continue to stand by my claim, my hypothesis, that overall Obama is responsible for the current high prices.

Refute it with facts and logic if you can.

Vote them all out, I say. De facto one-term term limits, is what we need. Either that, or, better yet, guillotines.

JustPassinThru
08-09-2012, 04:26 PM #11

(08-09-2012, 03:16 PM)DeliveryValve Not being a stickler to details, but Obama came into office on Jan. 20 2009.

True, fuel prices first spiked under Bush Junior; I remember paying over $4 for gasoline, at one point. I can't pretend to be an expert on the petroleum industry, but it is my guess that mainly this was because of the cutoff of supply from Iraq after he invaded it on false pretenses, in support of the Osama-and-19-Arab-hijackers-did-911 whopper.

But then Bush and his circle decided to weaken the world's #1 oil producer, Russia, and attempt to destabilize Iran and Libya, whilst simultaneously trying to aid the presidential campaign of the 2008 Republican nominee, John McCain, all by engineering a *fall* in crude prices. This was accomplished through coordinated short selling of oil futures contracts. Which was the reason why fuel was so cheap when Obama took office. Relatively cheap, anyway --Christ, I can remember when both a hamburger and a gallon of gas cost nineteen cents.

Unfortunately for you people who use diesel and gasoline as your sole automotive fuels, Obama kept in place the no-oil-out-of-Iraq policy.

Also allowed BP to drill in the dangerous Macondo field, which shut supply down from the Gulf of Mexico for awhile. Also blocked the Keystone pipeline, which has had the effect of putting on hold the development of very large Alaskan North Slope fields. Also OK'ed and facilitated the invasion of Libya, with the result being the complete stoppage of its oil production. And meanwhile he let the oil futures speculators run rampant again. All these are Obama's decisions, no one else's. He is indeed directly to blame for the current high prices.

Now that Japan has turned to oil to replace nuclear for the generation of electricity, Japanese demand is driving prices higher. The shutdown of that refinery in California last week, owing to fire, is predicted to raise prices again shortly.

If Obama goes to war, or allows Israel to go to war, against Iran, with the resultant closure of the Strait of Hormuz to oil tanker traffic, you'll see $5 or even $6 a gallon diesel pretty quickly.

Am I saying that Romney would be any better? Nah, probably not. Both parties are on a mass murder agenda spree.

But we *know* what Obama could have done to keep prices down. He didn't. The only thing Bush had to do with the rise in fuel prices since Obama was inaugurated, was that it was he who shut down Iraqi production in the first place. I continue to stand by my claim, my hypothesis, that overall Obama is responsible for the current high prices.

Refute it with facts and logic if you can.

Vote them all out, I say. De facto one-term term limits, is what we need. Either that, or, better yet, guillotines.

Mark_M
GT2559V

08-10-2012, 06:27 PM #12
According to Google we are currently paying $9.52 an imperial gallon (4.55L) which I think is $7.93 US gallon. This isn't just the UK but pretty much the EU as a whole. Blame who you like but I wish I could buy fuel at the Stateside prices ;-)
Mark_M
08-10-2012, 06:27 PM #12

According to Google we are currently paying $9.52 an imperial gallon (4.55L) which I think is $7.93 US gallon. This isn't just the UK but pretty much the EU as a whole. Blame who you like but I wish I could buy fuel at the Stateside prices ;-)

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

08-10-2012, 10:39 PM #13
Sort of off topic, but apparently some people don't even pay for diesel, like the people who came in the night sometime in the past couple days and pumped a couple hundred gallons (I'm guessing 3-400 maybe) out of one of my boss's tanks. I didn't really think people were that daring but I guess so...

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
08-10-2012, 10:39 PM #13

Sort of off topic, but apparently some people don't even pay for diesel, like the people who came in the night sometime in the past couple days and pumped a couple hundred gallons (I'm guessing 3-400 maybe) out of one of my boss's tanks. I didn't really think people were that daring but I guess so...

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

08-12-2012, 06:37 PM #14
(08-10-2012, 10:39 PM)sassparilla_kid Sort of off topic, but apparently some people don't even pay for diesel, like the people who came in the night sometime in the past couple days and pumped a couple hundred gallons (I'm guessing 3-400 maybe) out of one of my boss's tanks. I didn't really think people were that daring but I guess so...

I've seen that happen at construction sites, or should I say a guy came into my shop late at night and asked for tools to fix the pump on his truck... I keep the doors locked now.

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
08-12-2012, 06:37 PM #14

(08-10-2012, 10:39 PM)sassparilla_kid Sort of off topic, but apparently some people don't even pay for diesel, like the people who came in the night sometime in the past couple days and pumped a couple hundred gallons (I'm guessing 3-400 maybe) out of one of my boss's tanks. I didn't really think people were that daring but I guess so...

I've seen that happen at construction sites, or should I say a guy came into my shop late at night and asked for tools to fix the pump on his truck... I keep the doors locked now.

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average