STD Tuning Engine eBay junk watch

eBay junk watch

eBay junk watch

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ForcedInduction
Banned

02-28-2009, 04:20 AM #1
For those searching for a non-stock turbo, watch out for cheap Chinese imitation turbos. They are easy to spot; they lack "GARRETT" cast on the compressor housing, often have "TURBOCHARGER" on the data tag and lack a "made in" location.

Fake

Real

Obviously the genuine Garrett will be higher quality, more efficient, more reliable and more expensive. The only benefit to the imitation junk is cost.

Good luck, happy bidding.
This post was last modified: 02-28-2009, 04:22 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
02-28-2009, 04:20 AM #1

For those searching for a non-stock turbo, watch out for cheap Chinese imitation turbos. They are easy to spot; they lack "GARRETT" cast on the compressor housing, often have "TURBOCHARGER" on the data tag and lack a "made in" location.

Fake

Real

Obviously the genuine Garrett will be higher quality, more efficient, more reliable and more expensive. The only benefit to the imitation junk is cost.

Good luck, happy bidding.

Gross Polluter
K26-2

03-01-2009, 02:10 AM #2
(02-28-2009, 04:20 AM)ForcedInduction Obviously the genuine Garrett will be higher quality, more efficient, more reliable and more expensive. The only benefit to the imitation junk is cost.

Concur. However, this statement applies to other turbocharger manufacturers such as MHI, Holset, and Schwitzer. Just to name a few.
This post was last modified: 03-01-2009, 02:12 AM by Gross Polluter.
Gross Polluter
03-01-2009, 02:10 AM #2

(02-28-2009, 04:20 AM)ForcedInduction Obviously the genuine Garrett will be higher quality, more efficient, more reliable and more expensive. The only benefit to the imitation junk is cost.

Concur. However, this statement applies to other turbocharger manufacturers such as MHI, Holset, and Schwitzer. Just to name a few.

Gross Polluter
K26-2

07-30-2009, 03:19 PM #3
A little update just to show how crappy these "imitation" turbos really are.[/sarcasm]

We've been running a "t3/t4 50 trim" purchased on ebay at the beginning of the year for a whooping $150 shipped. The turbo was installed in a friends Volvo 242 budget project car:

[Image: 9.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

The turbo has seen about 7k miles of abuse without any issues. Boost is in the 22psi range most of the time. Shaft play does not get worse with time, it's the same as when the turbo is installed.

We took the car to the dyno last night to get a basic tune on it to race tomorrow night. The goal was 300whp. The rods in this particular engine like to punch holes in the block beyond 300whp, so we want to keep the engine together for the time being. We ended up making the following numbers:

10 psi: 236whp / 242ftlb
12 psi: 249whp / 268ftlb
14 psi: 268whp / 283ftlb
18 psi: 313whp / 318ftlb

We stopped at 313whp because the clutch started slipping. The timing was on the conservative side, I see 340whp in the near future at 18 psi. We'd like to get close to 400 with ~24psi.

A local guy claimed to have done 380whp on a Nissan SR20 at 26 psi. I found it hard to believe at first but after having the volvo on the dyno last night, I find it plausible.

The turbo seems to be performing very well for an "immitation" turbo, however, I don't see what exactly it's imitating or knocking off for that matter. The wheels don't share similar measurments with any Garrett, Holset, MHI, or Schwitzer turbo I've worked with. None of the housings have counterfiet markings on them. I'm just sayin'.....

These turbos do share similar designations with Garrett turbos such as "t3/t4" which has become a generic term anyways, and they measure their comrpessor housings by Area / Radius. Now, you'll see that this turbo on ebay is sold as a "50 trim T3/T4" and the measurments advertised are similar to that of a Garrett T04E 50 trim compressor and Stage III turbine wheel albeit not exact. Garrett T04E compressor wheels all have 6 blades while the ebay turbo has 8. The measurements of the turbo we received were a bit different than advertised and like I mentioned before, shared nothing in common with any "genuine" turbo. No, you probably can't get compressor maps for these turbos, sorry.

So, if your budget allows you to buy a "real" turbo then by all means do. You'd be a fool to consider a cheap china turbo. However, if your ballin on a budget and wondering how well these junk knockoff imitation turbos peform, they perform well and seem to hold together just fine.
This post was last modified: 07-30-2009, 03:22 PM by Gross Polluter.
Gross Polluter
07-30-2009, 03:19 PM #3

A little update just to show how crappy these "imitation" turbos really are.[/sarcasm]

We've been running a "t3/t4 50 trim" purchased on ebay at the beginning of the year for a whooping $150 shipped. The turbo was installed in a friends Volvo 242 budget project car:

[Image: 9.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

The turbo has seen about 7k miles of abuse without any issues. Boost is in the 22psi range most of the time. Shaft play does not get worse with time, it's the same as when the turbo is installed.

We took the car to the dyno last night to get a basic tune on it to race tomorrow night. The goal was 300whp. The rods in this particular engine like to punch holes in the block beyond 300whp, so we want to keep the engine together for the time being. We ended up making the following numbers:

10 psi: 236whp / 242ftlb
12 psi: 249whp / 268ftlb
14 psi: 268whp / 283ftlb
18 psi: 313whp / 318ftlb

We stopped at 313whp because the clutch started slipping. The timing was on the conservative side, I see 340whp in the near future at 18 psi. We'd like to get close to 400 with ~24psi.

A local guy claimed to have done 380whp on a Nissan SR20 at 26 psi. I found it hard to believe at first but after having the volvo on the dyno last night, I find it plausible.

The turbo seems to be performing very well for an "immitation" turbo, however, I don't see what exactly it's imitating or knocking off for that matter. The wheels don't share similar measurments with any Garrett, Holset, MHI, or Schwitzer turbo I've worked with. None of the housings have counterfiet markings on them. I'm just sayin'.....

These turbos do share similar designations with Garrett turbos such as "t3/t4" which has become a generic term anyways, and they measure their comrpessor housings by Area / Radius. Now, you'll see that this turbo on ebay is sold as a "50 trim T3/T4" and the measurments advertised are similar to that of a Garrett T04E 50 trim compressor and Stage III turbine wheel albeit not exact. Garrett T04E compressor wheels all have 6 blades while the ebay turbo has 8. The measurements of the turbo we received were a bit different than advertised and like I mentioned before, shared nothing in common with any "genuine" turbo. No, you probably can't get compressor maps for these turbos, sorry.

So, if your budget allows you to buy a "real" turbo then by all means do. You'd be a fool to consider a cheap china turbo. However, if your ballin on a budget and wondering how well these junk knockoff imitation turbos peform, they perform well and seem to hold together just fine.

cannonballSDL
CONTROL_agent21

07-30-2009, 05:08 PM #4
PWNED!!!! yeh on our 242 T6 we ran a ebay turbo with out any problems, we did swap it out and its ending up in my 242 too! is you friend on turbobrick?

[Image: img1231808006712-1.jpg][Image: img1231724701604-1-1.jpg][Image: img1231603208122.jpg]
cannonballSDL
07-30-2009, 05:08 PM #4

PWNED!!!! yeh on our 242 T6 we ran a ebay turbo with out any problems, we did swap it out and its ending up in my 242 too! is you friend on turbobrick?

[Image: img1231808006712-1.jpg][Image: img1231724701604-1-1.jpg][Image: img1231603208122.jpg]

Gross Polluter
K26-2

07-30-2009, 05:17 PM #5
He's sdturbo on turbobricks. My SN is the same on every forum.

His build thread:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=133563

When koolaid man visits the block, he has a T5 whiteblock ready to go in.
This post was last modified: 07-30-2009, 05:18 PM by Gross Polluter.
Gross Polluter
07-30-2009, 05:17 PM #5

He's sdturbo on turbobricks. My SN is the same on every forum.

His build thread:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=133563

When koolaid man visits the block, he has a T5 whiteblock ready to go in.

Motorhead
GT2256V

07-30-2009, 09:41 PM #6
Great job, it looks like a Turbonetics turbo.
Motorhead
07-30-2009, 09:41 PM #6

Great job, it looks like a Turbonetics turbo.

dalek
K26-2

08-06-2009, 02:43 PM #7
Wow! More turbobrickers on the loose! Gross Polluter, from what you said about the rods, sdturbo is running an earlier B230 block? I like the wasted spark setup. I myself recently got a B234f head and may next year put in my car. First, I have stereophile's and ipd cams to try out. And the shiny NPR. And the CFIs. Honestly I too want to go to 300WHP; that will do. But, I do not want to sacrifice fuel consumption if I can get away with. FYI, I use the name nick there.

I am not here to make waves; Sois jeune et tais toi
dalek
08-06-2009, 02:43 PM #7

Wow! More turbobrickers on the loose! Gross Polluter, from what you said about the rods, sdturbo is running an earlier B230 block? I like the wasted spark setup. I myself recently got a B234f head and may next year put in my car. First, I have stereophile's and ipd cams to try out. And the shiny NPR. And the CFIs. Honestly I too want to go to 300WHP; that will do. But, I do not want to sacrifice fuel consumption if I can get away with. FYI, I use the name nick there.

Gross Polluter
K26-2

08-07-2009, 12:22 AM #8
I *think* the block came from an early 740 turbo, but I'm not certain on that. The day he got that block out of the yard was the same day I pulled my OM617. It's a non squirter block, that's all I know about it.

I've recently tuned an 8V turbo 245 with an RSI cam, don't know exactly which one off the top of my head. Did 197whp @ 10psi with a 15g. Engine had awesome low end and pulled clean to 7k. I was pretty impressed with the power band. No doubt the car would do 300whp with something larger than a stockish turbo. It's much, much less effort to make that power with a B234 head though. I can't wait to get Josh's 242 back on the dyno and make better numbers, now that he has a clutch that's holding up.
Gross Polluter
08-07-2009, 12:22 AM #8

I *think* the block came from an early 740 turbo, but I'm not certain on that. The day he got that block out of the yard was the same day I pulled my OM617. It's a non squirter block, that's all I know about it.

I've recently tuned an 8V turbo 245 with an RSI cam, don't know exactly which one off the top of my head. Did 197whp @ 10psi with a 15g. Engine had awesome low end and pulled clean to 7k. I was pretty impressed with the power band. No doubt the car would do 300whp with something larger than a stockish turbo. It's much, much less effort to make that power with a B234 head though. I can't wait to get Josh's 242 back on the dyno and make better numbers, now that he has a clutch that's holding up.

dalek
K26-2

08-07-2009, 12:17 PM #9
Remember JohnV has a kit to put squirters on the B21/23/230 blocks. Where are you at? In ORL there is an unmolested squirter block on the J/Y by the airport. But, he should get him a set of 13"s.

Did you do much work to the head? Are you using a plain 530? I imagine you have a 3" from the 15g down. I actually have both RSI cams; I bought the stage 2 and then later the stage 3 to help the gp be done with. Running MS or Froderick's or lostartof's chips? 197WHP is enough to scare a lot of idiots trying to impress their chicks. Wink

So, you are dropping the 617 in the 240? Is it shorter than a B20?

dalek
08-07-2009, 12:17 PM #9

Remember JohnV has a kit to put squirters on the B21/23/230 blocks. Where are you at? In ORL there is an unmolested squirter block on the J/Y by the airport. But, he should get him a set of 13"s.

Did you do much work to the head? Are you using a plain 530? I imagine you have a 3" from the 15g down. I actually have both RSI cams; I bought the stage 2 and then later the stage 3 to help the gp be done with. Running MS or Froderick's or lostartof's chips? 197WHP is enough to scare a lot of idiots trying to impress their chicks. Wink

So, you are dropping the 617 in the 240? Is it shorter than a B20?

Gross Polluter
K26-2

08-07-2009, 06:39 PM #10
I'm in San Diego. Ecology and Pick-your-part at any given time have literally thouasnds of redblocks to choose from.

The 245 that made 197 on a 15G was Paul, fast245 on turbobricks. He's a Yoshifab customer that came by one night during a dyno session while I was tuning a few customer cars. I don't know the casting number of the head, I do know that it's stock, port wise. Paul has done most of the tuning himself but wanted me to help him out with WOT tuning. According to him the record on a 15g is around 245whp. Given the numbers I got out of his car at 10psi, I'm sure I can get get close to that record or beat it if he gets larger injectors.

I'm good friends with Josh, sdturbo on turbobricks. I fell in love with his TDi powered 245 and wanted to build something similar, but cheaper. There's an abundance of OM617's in the yards here in SD. Problem is they're all junk motors. The first motor had a bad bottom end and cracked head. I pulled a decent head, after taking apart 3 motors. Every bottom end in the yard is junk. Seems like most people are killing these motors by trying to run them on veggie oil. Since my 245 runs well and is very reliable, I've scrapped the idea of putting an OM617 in it. I've been keeping my eye on craigslist for beater 240 or 300d's to play around with on the cheap.
Gross Polluter
08-07-2009, 06:39 PM #10

I'm in San Diego. Ecology and Pick-your-part at any given time have literally thouasnds of redblocks to choose from.

The 245 that made 197 on a 15G was Paul, fast245 on turbobricks. He's a Yoshifab customer that came by one night during a dyno session while I was tuning a few customer cars. I don't know the casting number of the head, I do know that it's stock, port wise. Paul has done most of the tuning himself but wanted me to help him out with WOT tuning. According to him the record on a 15g is around 245whp. Given the numbers I got out of his car at 10psi, I'm sure I can get get close to that record or beat it if he gets larger injectors.

I'm good friends with Josh, sdturbo on turbobricks. I fell in love with his TDi powered 245 and wanted to build something similar, but cheaper. There's an abundance of OM617's in the yards here in SD. Problem is they're all junk motors. The first motor had a bad bottom end and cracked head. I pulled a decent head, after taking apart 3 motors. Every bottom end in the yard is junk. Seems like most people are killing these motors by trying to run them on veggie oil. Since my 245 runs well and is very reliable, I've scrapped the idea of putting an OM617 in it. I've been keeping my eye on craigslist for beater 240 or 300d's to play around with on the cheap.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average