STD Tuning Engine the end of my fun

the end of my fun

the end of my fun

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

w126sdrox
Naturally-aspirated

06-10-2010, 09:38 PM #1
Well, I think I killed it. I have been driving my 85 300sd really hard as of late and i think i did some engine damage. It still has plenty of power, but there is white and black smoke upon acceleration, and now I have a noticeable metallic knock sound coming from the bottom somewhere. sounds like a bearing going kaput to me. If I am right, then thats it for me, bye-bye diesel mercedes....hello camaro!! the idea of a FAST 617 turbodiesel will always haunt me, though.....someday.Angel

Oh, and what's THIS?... Where's yer Lamborghini, Big Shot?
w126sdrox
06-10-2010, 09:38 PM #1

Well, I think I killed it. I have been driving my 85 300sd really hard as of late and i think i did some engine damage. It still has plenty of power, but there is white and black smoke upon acceleration, and now I have a noticeable metallic knock sound coming from the bottom somewhere. sounds like a bearing going kaput to me. If I am right, then thats it for me, bye-bye diesel mercedes....hello camaro!! the idea of a FAST 617 turbodiesel will always haunt me, though.....someday.Angel

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

06-10-2010, 09:53 PM #2
Sound anything like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvjL_6hT-A

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.
capflya
06-10-2010, 09:53 PM #2

Sound anything like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvjL_6hT-A

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.

Einar
GT2256V

06-11-2010, 01:32 PM #3
I`m thinking more of a blown head gasket, water into the cylinder may cause hard "pinking".

Video of your sound and the smoke?
Einar
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM #3

I`m thinking more of a blown head gasket, water into the cylinder may cause hard "pinking".

w126sdrox
Naturally-aspirated

06-11-2010, 10:49 PM #4
(06-10-2010, 09:53 PM)capflya Sound anything like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvjL_6hT-A
oh, its not quite that pronounced, but its mostly noticeable at idle. i am hoping its something simple, like an injector stuck open or a loose valve, but knowing my luck it's prob. a rod bearing or some other major issue. i am in the process of getting another daily driver (2000 camaro ss)Tongue, and hopefully will be able to get to diagnose the thing more thoroughly soon. I will try to post a vid soon. thank you guys for the replies, i will keep you posted.
(06-11-2010, 01:32 PM)Einar I`m thinking more of a blown head gasket, water into the cylinder may cause hard "pinking".

hey, EINAR, now that you mention it, i Have noticed a bit of white smoke on hard acceleration, and a head gasket issue could very well be the culprit. i will have to wait to get a new daily driver and then i can properly delve into my engine, as my space and tooling is restricted at the moment.if it is saveable, then i would like to fix this one or mabey sell it and find another to fix up. thanks for the reply!
This post was last modified: 06-11-2010, 11:03 PM by w126sdrox.

w126sdrox
06-11-2010, 10:49 PM #4

(06-10-2010, 09:53 PM)capflya Sound anything like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvjL_6hT-A
oh, its not quite that pronounced, but its mostly noticeable at idle. i am hoping its something simple, like an injector stuck open or a loose valve, but knowing my luck it's prob. a rod bearing or some other major issue. i am in the process of getting another daily driver (2000 camaro ss)Tongue, and hopefully will be able to get to diagnose the thing more thoroughly soon. I will try to post a vid soon. thank you guys for the replies, i will keep you posted.
(06-11-2010, 01:32 PM)Einar I`m thinking more of a blown head gasket, water into the cylinder may cause hard "pinking".

hey, EINAR, now that you mention it, i Have noticed a bit of white smoke on hard acceleration, and a head gasket issue could very well be the culprit. i will have to wait to get a new daily driver and then i can properly delve into my engine, as my space and tooling is restricted at the moment.if it is saveable, then i would like to fix this one or mabey sell it and find another to fix up. thanks for the reply!

Einar
GT2256V

06-12-2010, 07:22 AM #5
The reason I think about this, is that you tell about black and white smoke.
I had an ugly knocking-sound in my 603A, "experts" told me it sounded like "piston-bolt-knocking", it was a cracked cylinder-head, and water entering the combustion-chamber, and a hard pinking.

what about the oil-pressure?
Einar
06-12-2010, 07:22 AM #5

The reason I think about this, is that you tell about black and white smoke.
I had an ugly knocking-sound in my 603A, "experts" told me it sounded like "piston-bolt-knocking", it was a cracked cylinder-head, and water entering the combustion-chamber, and a hard pinking.

w126sdrox
Naturally-aspirated

06-12-2010, 11:51 AM #6
(06-12-2010, 07:22 AM)Einar The reason I think about this, is that you tell about black and white smoke.

oil pressure is normal, no drop at all. funny thing is that the noise, which is not super loud, just noticeable, gets more noticeable after i drive for a while and the engine warms up.hmmm....Dodgy

w126sdrox
06-12-2010, 11:51 AM #6

(06-12-2010, 07:22 AM)Einar The reason I think about this, is that you tell about black and white smoke.

oil pressure is normal, no drop at all. funny thing is that the noise, which is not super loud, just noticeable, gets more noticeable after i drive for a while and the engine warms up.hmmm....Dodgy

Einar
GT2256V

06-13-2010, 04:36 AM #7
A knocking rod-bearing will often give a little drop in oilpressure
Einar
06-13-2010, 04:36 AM #7

A knocking rod-bearing will often give a little drop in oilpressure

w126sdrox
Naturally-aspirated

06-13-2010, 11:22 AM #8
(06-13-2010, 04:36 AM)Einar A knocking rod-bearing will often give a little drop in oilpressure
hey Einar, thats good to know! there may be hope, then. hopefully i can get my new toy in the driveway this week and then i can give attention to the 617. i will report my findings and hopefully have good news! I just don't like driving it not knowing if the noise is a serious prob or not, and there is a point of repair costs that i have to consider,since my 300sd is a bit rough and pratically nothing works, it may be wiser to find another,more mechanically sound and cleaner sample to fix up. my car does have one thing goin' for it, though..... not a single bit of rust anywhere.if only i had the budget to restore her and finish the performance mods-bigger turbo, custom manifolds, 6.5mm elements, etc, i would, but that money is going into my dream car, a 2000 camaro ss that's faster than hell bone stockBig Grin. but the things iv'e seen done to w617 turbos on this forum just about makes me cry! such awesome work and craftsmanship, i am soooo enviousTongue. i will try to post a vid of my car's noise as soon as i can. thanks!
This post was last modified: 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM by winmutt.

w126sdrox
06-13-2010, 11:22 AM #8

(06-13-2010, 04:36 AM)Einar A knocking rod-bearing will often give a little drop in oilpressure
hey Einar, thats good to know! there may be hope, then. hopefully i can get my new toy in the driveway this week and then i can give attention to the 617. i will report my findings and hopefully have good news! I just don't like driving it not knowing if the noise is a serious prob or not, and there is a point of repair costs that i have to consider,since my 300sd is a bit rough and pratically nothing works, it may be wiser to find another,more mechanically sound and cleaner sample to fix up. my car does have one thing goin' for it, though..... not a single bit of rust anywhere.if only i had the budget to restore her and finish the performance mods-bigger turbo, custom manifolds, 6.5mm elements, etc, i would, but that money is going into my dream car, a 2000 camaro ss that's faster than hell bone stockBig Grin. but the things iv'e seen done to w617 turbos on this forum just about makes me cry! such awesome work and craftsmanship, i am soooo enviousTongue. i will try to post a vid of my car's noise as soon as i can. thanks!

Treg83
Naturally-aspirated

05-17-2011, 11:36 AM #9
did you ever fin the culprit to your problems? i think im having the same problems.
Treg83
05-17-2011, 11:36 AM #9

did you ever fin the culprit to your problems? i think im having the same problems.

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average