STD Maintenance General 240D stalls out when driving on highway

240D stalls out when driving on highway

240D stalls out when driving on highway

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-03-2011, 01:53 PM #1
Hey guys, My 240D seems as if its going to stall out on the highway when im driving on regular diesel fuel. I do drive this car on WVO and i do not have this problem when switched over. I think it may be a clogged filter but im not sure. Also the car makes a grinding noise when i hit bumps and the car goes up and down as wel as a less noticable grinding noise when im driving on flat surface.

any ideas cause im stumped!
Purplecomputer
10-03-2011, 01:53 PM #1

Hey guys, My 240D seems as if its going to stall out on the highway when im driving on regular diesel fuel. I do drive this car on WVO and i do not have this problem when switched over. I think it may be a clogged filter but im not sure. Also the car makes a grinding noise when i hit bumps and the car goes up and down as wel as a less noticable grinding noise when im driving on flat surface.

any ideas cause im stumped!

vstef_is
GT2256V

10-03-2011, 03:24 PM #2
Check the pre-filter (small transparent thingy) and fuel filter. I'd wager a beer that's the problem. Also check the granularity on the fuel filter, and go a notch up. Not sure about the diesel in your area.

And while you're at it, have a quick look at the air filter....

As for the grinding noise... hmmm... shock absorber? Not sure...

1982 s123 300TD TurboDiesel (US Spec) in France
vstef_is
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM #2

Check the pre-filter (small transparent thingy) and fuel filter. I'd wager a beer that's the problem. Also check the granularity on the fuel filter, and go a notch up. Not sure about the diesel in your area.

And while you're at it, have a quick look at the air filter....

As for the grinding noise... hmmm... shock absorber? Not sure...

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-03-2011, 06:12 PM #3
thats pretty much what i figured it was, Ill post back when im able to change it. The diesel in my area is pretty good. How would i go about testing it? that is the first i have heard you could test fuel.

The girding noise is pretty annoying. Its not a loud noise but you can hear it enough to drive you crazy. I feel like its coming only from the driver side.
Purplecomputer
10-03-2011, 06:12 PM #3

thats pretty much what i figured it was, Ill post back when im able to change it. The diesel in my area is pretty good. How would i go about testing it? that is the first i have heard you could test fuel.

The girding noise is pretty annoying. Its not a loud noise but you can hear it enough to drive you crazy. I feel like its coming only from the driver side.

vstef_is
GT2256V

10-04-2011, 12:32 AM #4
Well I wouldnt so much as say "test diesel" but you get a feel for it.

Meaning, how much water there is, how clean it is, how "rich" it is... For example in Romania depending on the station, you can get watery diesel, or just plain diesel.

Go anywhere in Europe and you get a lot better diesel, the car's faster, more powerful, runs cleaner and eats up less fuel.

Try switching stations and see if there's any difference. It may not be a problem for you, but tryin around different stations doesnt hurt anyone.

vstef_is
10-04-2011, 12:32 AM #4

Well I wouldnt so much as say "test diesel" but you get a feel for it.

Meaning, how much water there is, how clean it is, how "rich" it is... For example in Romania depending on the station, you can get watery diesel, or just plain diesel.

Go anywhere in Europe and you get a lot better diesel, the car's faster, more powerful, runs cleaner and eats up less fuel.

Try switching stations and see if there's any difference. It may not be a problem for you, but tryin around different stations doesnt hurt anyone.

w123love
Stockish

10-04-2011, 12:48 AM #5
I’d agree and do a once over on all of the filters. Best to eliminate the easy stuff before going more in depth. If you find serious clogging in the fuel tank strainer then you may have some more serious issues. But it’s not the end of the world.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
10-04-2011, 12:48 AM #5

I’d agree and do a once over on all of the filters. Best to eliminate the easy stuff before going more in depth. If you find serious clogging in the fuel tank strainer then you may have some more serious issues. But it’s not the end of the world.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-04-2011, 06:24 PM #6
thanks for the help guys. I actually stalled out completely today after the engine shook violently while in third gear. My dad came to pick me up and he took it for a drive all the way home and confirmed it was a fuel problem. Im going to clean out the tank and all the lines tomorrow morning.
Purplecomputer
10-04-2011, 06:24 PM #6

thanks for the help guys. I actually stalled out completely today after the engine shook violently while in third gear. My dad came to pick me up and he took it for a drive all the way home and confirmed it was a fuel problem. Im going to clean out the tank and all the lines tomorrow morning.

larsalan
Superturbo

10-04-2011, 08:10 PM #7
tank strainer?
swap supply and return fuel lines?

Classic tricks to sucking fuel through gummy lines

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
10-04-2011, 08:10 PM #7

tank strainer?
swap supply and return fuel lines?

Classic tricks to sucking fuel through gummy lines

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-05-2011, 09:23 AM #8
So i woke up super early with the intent to remove the tank and clean it, So i started by removing the tank's pre filter and to my surprise it was new and completely clean.

[Image: th_IMG_20111005_073943.jpg]

so i moved forward, all the lines conected to the tank were new and did not needed to be reaplced. It kinda looks dirty from the pciture but compared to some others ive seen this did not have any gunk build up on the filter at all

In the engine compartment this is what i found!

[Image: th_IMG_20111005_073953.jpg]
It had all this brown gunk in there and this clumped up gunk. Probably from the wvo that was mixed in when i first started to convert the car and was very unsuccessful

I also bought some diesel Kleen and added about 4 ounces to the car in hopes the injector knocking will cease and clean the lines.
This post was last modified: 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
10-05-2011, 09:23 AM #8

So i woke up super early with the intent to remove the tank and clean it, So i started by removing the tank's pre filter and to my surprise it was new and completely clean.

[Image: th_IMG_20111005_073943.jpg]

so i moved forward, all the lines conected to the tank were new and did not needed to be reaplced. It kinda looks dirty from the pciture but compared to some others ive seen this did not have any gunk build up on the filter at all

In the engine compartment this is what i found!

[Image: th_IMG_20111005_073953.jpg]
It had all this brown gunk in there and this clumped up gunk. Probably from the wvo that was mixed in when i first started to convert the car and was very unsuccessful

I also bought some diesel Kleen and added about 4 ounces to the car in hopes the injector knocking will cease and clean the lines.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average