STD Tuning Engine OM617

OM617

OM617

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cumminstex
Unregistered

02-21-2009, 01:51 AM #1
Ok, I'm new to the Mercedes diesel world and have a quick question. I've been working on my own and helping friends build their Cummins diesel trucks for performance for several years now, so I know my way around a diesel engine fairly well. I've owned my 1979 240D since 1999, my grandparents bought the car from the factory in Germany and drove it all over Europe before shipping it back to the U.S. so as you might imagine, I am kind of attached to it. About 5 years ago the engine got hot due to the lower radiator hose busting, and since then it never ran quite rite. The car became hard to start and felt like it had even less power, so basically it has been un-driveable. Since I really didn't know what to do with it, I parked it in the shop and covered it up. I'm now ready to do an engine swap for a turbo diesel. I have located a running 1985 turbo diesel with about 140k on the clock and was told the engine is an OM617. I'm sure there are several models of the OM617, and wanted to know what engine was used in the 1985 year cars. Is this one of the better versions, and what major issues should I look out for when buying an engine/trans. My plan is to transplant the engine and trans from the 85 to my 79. Both the donor car and my 240D have automatic transmissions. So I was planning to get the OM617 and the whole driveline including the rear gear set. I know I won't be happy with stock performance, since my daily driver is a 520hp cummins "twin" turbo, powered dodge 24v, so what options if any are there as far as beefing up the auto transmission? I've read enough to feel comfortable with tuning the injection pump, but would like to know what injector options are out there, and what is the most common turbo upgrade?
Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can provide.
cumminstex
02-21-2009, 01:51 AM #1

Ok, I'm new to the Mercedes diesel world and have a quick question. I've been working on my own and helping friends build their Cummins diesel trucks for performance for several years now, so I know my way around a diesel engine fairly well. I've owned my 1979 240D since 1999, my grandparents bought the car from the factory in Germany and drove it all over Europe before shipping it back to the U.S. so as you might imagine, I am kind of attached to it. About 5 years ago the engine got hot due to the lower radiator hose busting, and since then it never ran quite rite. The car became hard to start and felt like it had even less power, so basically it has been un-driveable. Since I really didn't know what to do with it, I parked it in the shop and covered it up. I'm now ready to do an engine swap for a turbo diesel. I have located a running 1985 turbo diesel with about 140k on the clock and was told the engine is an OM617. I'm sure there are several models of the OM617, and wanted to know what engine was used in the 1985 year cars. Is this one of the better versions, and what major issues should I look out for when buying an engine/trans. My plan is to transplant the engine and trans from the 85 to my 79. Both the donor car and my 240D have automatic transmissions. So I was planning to get the OM617 and the whole driveline including the rear gear set. I know I won't be happy with stock performance, since my daily driver is a 520hp cummins "twin" turbo, powered dodge 24v, so what options if any are there as far as beefing up the auto transmission? I've read enough to feel comfortable with tuning the injection pump, but would like to know what injector options are out there, and what is the most common turbo upgrade?
Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can provide.

ForcedInduction
Banned

02-21-2009, 03:20 AM #2
Welcome!

The 85 has a slightly weaker trans than the earlier models. But with 140k miles (if its right, ask the seller if the odometer is actually working) it should be pretty healthy.

Turning up the modulator pressure will help it hold more torque but supposedly the guts from the first V12 powered MBs will fit with a little modification.

There aren't many injector options out there unless you want to experiment with different designs yourself. There is a company that will bore out the nozzles but nobody has done it yet and reported back.

The best turbo upgrade is a VNT turbo from a Liberty, Sprinter or E320 CDI. I'm working on a Holset VGT project right now.

The biggest limit on the car is the injection pump. No matter how you tune it won't pump enough fuel for more around 140hp at the crank. Myna-Diesel in Finlind specializes in upgrading MB pumps to support up to 500hp.

Good luck!
ForcedInduction
02-21-2009, 03:20 AM #2

Welcome!

The 85 has a slightly weaker trans than the earlier models. But with 140k miles (if its right, ask the seller if the odometer is actually working) it should be pretty healthy.

Turning up the modulator pressure will help it hold more torque but supposedly the guts from the first V12 powered MBs will fit with a little modification.

There aren't many injector options out there unless you want to experiment with different designs yourself. There is a company that will bore out the nozzles but nobody has done it yet and reported back.

The best turbo upgrade is a VNT turbo from a Liberty, Sprinter or E320 CDI. I'm working on a Holset VGT project right now.

The biggest limit on the car is the injection pump. No matter how you tune it won't pump enough fuel for more around 140hp at the crank. Myna-Diesel in Finlind specializes in upgrading MB pumps to support up to 500hp.

Good luck!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average