STD Other Racing and autocross. Rally X'd my 240D

Rally X'd my 240D

Rally X'd my 240D

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-21-2009, 01:38 PM #9
When I first bought my 240D, my boss told me a story about them. He was a factory trained Mercedes tech at the time these cars were new, and grew up in Connecticut were they were common.

If I recall correctly it was the Paris-Dakar rally, and for one year Mercedes entered the W123. They fitted them with the biggest FI'd six they had coupled to a 5 speed manual transmission, appropriate tires on stock wheels, not too much different from how you could order one, at least in Europe.

As he told me, the 123s came in something like 8 out of the top 10 spots, and all of the other factory drivers were pissed off...they all had tons of modifications to the car, stiff suspensions, they were holding on for dear life in all of the corners...meanwhile they'd get a chance to look over at one of the Mercedes cars, and the driver is one-handing it, and the navigator is drinking coffee, they're chatting and relaxed...this is supposed to be a rally! And not just a rally, the Paris-Dakkar! Mercedes figured their point was proven and didn't bother entering the next year.

I'm sure you guys know more about the racing history of Mercedes than I do, you can maybe verify this, my boss was pretty savvy though, makes his money servicing classic, Euro, custom, exotic and rare cars in the LA area. I just like the imagery Big Grin

Do they have an 'open' RWD class for Rally-X? I'd like to run a 240D, the engine would just have twice as many cylinders Wink. I've seen Mustangs run certain courses, I always wondered about entering a V8 powered S10 4x4 with the AWD transfer case. Then again, I've always wondered about one of those, period...
CID Vicious
11-21-2009, 01:38 PM #9

When I first bought my 240D, my boss told me a story about them. He was a factory trained Mercedes tech at the time these cars were new, and grew up in Connecticut were they were common.

If I recall correctly it was the Paris-Dakar rally, and for one year Mercedes entered the W123. They fitted them with the biggest FI'd six they had coupled to a 5 speed manual transmission, appropriate tires on stock wheels, not too much different from how you could order one, at least in Europe.

As he told me, the 123s came in something like 8 out of the top 10 spots, and all of the other factory drivers were pissed off...they all had tons of modifications to the car, stiff suspensions, they were holding on for dear life in all of the corners...meanwhile they'd get a chance to look over at one of the Mercedes cars, and the driver is one-handing it, and the navigator is drinking coffee, they're chatting and relaxed...this is supposed to be a rally! And not just a rally, the Paris-Dakkar! Mercedes figured their point was proven and didn't bother entering the next year.

I'm sure you guys know more about the racing history of Mercedes than I do, you can maybe verify this, my boss was pretty savvy though, makes his money servicing classic, Euro, custom, exotic and rare cars in the LA area. I just like the imagery Big Grin

Do they have an 'open' RWD class for Rally-X? I'd like to run a 240D, the engine would just have twice as many cylinders Wink. I've seen Mustangs run certain courses, I always wondered about entering a V8 powered S10 4x4 with the AWD transfer case. Then again, I've always wondered about one of those, period...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Rally X'd my 240D - by GileadGarage - 02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
RE: Rally X'd my 240D - by winmutt - 02-16-2009, 09:50 PM
RE: Rally X'd my 240D - by kamel - 02-16-2009, 09:52 PM
RE: Rally X'd my 240D - by GileadGarage - 02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
RE: Rally X'd my 240D - by winmutt - 02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
RE: Rally X'd my 240D - by Lincolnlock - 02-17-2009, 12:37 AM
RE: Rally X'd my 240D - by kamel - 04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
RE: Rally X'd my 240D - by GileadGarage - 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
RE: Rally X'd my 240D - by CID Vicious - 11-21-2009, 01:38 PM
RE: Rally X'd my 240D - by garage - 04-18-2010, 06:54 PM