STD Maintenance General visual inspection (trans fluid, rear end and powersteering)

visual inspection (trans fluid, rear end and powersteering)

visual inspection (trans fluid, rear end and powersteering)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

playadude
K26-2

03-14-2011, 07:32 PM #1
Hi,

Can a good mechanic tell if my trans fluid, rear end and powersteering fluid need to be changed by looking at the current condition of these fluids/components?

I don't have records for these items being changed (I don't have records for anything done to the car I just bought, great car, good owner, just no records, long story).
playadude
03-14-2011, 07:32 PM #1

Hi,

Can a good mechanic tell if my trans fluid, rear end and powersteering fluid need to be changed by looking at the current condition of these fluids/components?

I don't have records for these items being changed (I don't have records for anything done to the car I just bought, great car, good owner, just no records, long story).

larsalan
Superturbo

03-14-2011, 08:07 PM #2
A liter of gear oil costs like $2 so just change it. The trans and power steering fluid are the same fluid. Doubt it really is of great importance what the steering fluid looks like. The trans fluid should be red not black or dark. And you should be able to see through it. Is that translucent? Not opaque.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
03-14-2011, 08:07 PM #2

A liter of gear oil costs like $2 so just change it. The trans and power steering fluid are the same fluid. Doubt it really is of great importance what the steering fluid looks like. The trans fluid should be red not black or dark. And you should be able to see through it. Is that translucent? Not opaque.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

playadude
K26-2

03-15-2011, 07:34 AM #3
larsalan,

Good advice, sorry to ask such a stupid question. The car is new to me, and it's the first car like this I have bought. (I absolutely love this car, really weird, but I have a very expensive sports car in my Garage too, but I prefer to drive my 20 year old W126), I want it to last forever.

Pete

playadude
03-15-2011, 07:34 AM #3

larsalan,

Good advice, sorry to ask such a stupid question. The car is new to me, and it's the first car like this I have bought. (I absolutely love this car, really weird, but I have a very expensive sports car in my Garage too, but I prefer to drive my 20 year old W126), I want it to last forever.

Pete

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-15-2011, 10:14 AM #4
Most importantly, change the steering filter in the bottom of the reservoir.
ForcedInduction
03-15-2011, 10:14 AM #4

Most importantly, change the steering filter in the bottom of the reservoir.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average