STD Tuning Engine w210 Inlet manifold Modifying

w210 Inlet manifold Modifying

w210 Inlet manifold Modifying

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rolandcad500
Naturally-aspirated

03-12-2011, 01:47 AM #1
Hi Guys

As you migth have read. Im looking to get a six pot into my sprinter van. With measuring it all up. I need to have a narrower inlet manifold. By 6 inches. Do anyof the other similar engines have a narrower inlet? If not i need to modify/make another one.

Question is. would it matter if the inlet runners werent the same length/shape as standard?

What i need to achieve is the inlet pipes onto of the engine. would idealy like it to look like a stock engine in my sprinter.

Can i also remove the egr valve easily? or do i need to keep it there for later on?

Thanks for reading my dumb ass question.

Cheers Roland
rolandcad500
03-12-2011, 01:47 AM #1

Hi Guys

As you migth have read. Im looking to get a six pot into my sprinter van. With measuring it all up. I need to have a narrower inlet manifold. By 6 inches. Do anyof the other similar engines have a narrower inlet? If not i need to modify/make another one.

Question is. would it matter if the inlet runners werent the same length/shape as standard?

What i need to achieve is the inlet pipes onto of the engine. would idealy like it to look like a stock engine in my sprinter.

Can i also remove the egr valve easily? or do i need to keep it there for later on?

Thanks for reading my dumb ass question.

Cheers Roland

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

03-12-2011, 07:33 AM #2
Hi Roland, the intake on any modern engine is tuned like a horn resonate and improve flow in certain RPM ranges. On the 606 turbo, it seems to be optimized for the lower range as the turbo provides the power up top.

So, that said, if you shorten the runners, you'll lose torque off the line which obviously, in a van, would not be optimal. You can however, design a new intake that's folded over the top of the valve cover that maintains the length of the runners and preserves the low end torque.

As far as the EGR, on the 606.962, the EGR is simply an extension of the inlet manifold and can be replaced with a straight pipe.

1998 MB E300 - 194,000 miles. Current/future mods: 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 Turbo feeding Eaton M90 supercharger through custom fabbed intake system. Aeroturbine muffler, scratch-built 4" stainless exhaust. EGR eliminated, ECM recalibrated, modified rack position feedback circuit. Porterfield RS brake pads, Bilstein sport shocks, VDO EGT, oil and boost gauges.

2000 Ford F250 - 150,000 miles. Current/future mods: DP Tuner 3 map chip, scratch-built high flow intake, high output IDM, open circuit fuel system, ball bearing turbo, South Bend full metal clutch, slotted and drilled rotors. Autometer Sport Comp EGT and boost gauges.
E300TSC
03-12-2011, 07:33 AM #2

Hi Roland, the intake on any modern engine is tuned like a horn resonate and improve flow in certain RPM ranges. On the 606 turbo, it seems to be optimized for the lower range as the turbo provides the power up top.

So, that said, if you shorten the runners, you'll lose torque off the line which obviously, in a van, would not be optimal. You can however, design a new intake that's folded over the top of the valve cover that maintains the length of the runners and preserves the low end torque.

As far as the EGR, on the 606.962, the EGR is simply an extension of the inlet manifold and can be replaced with a straight pipe.

1998 MB E300 - 194,000 miles. Current/future mods: 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 Turbo feeding Eaton M90 supercharger through custom fabbed intake system. Aeroturbine muffler, scratch-built 4" stainless exhaust. EGR eliminated, ECM recalibrated, modified rack position feedback circuit. Porterfield RS brake pads, Bilstein sport shocks, VDO EGT, oil and boost gauges.

2000 Ford F250 - 150,000 miles. Current/future mods: DP Tuner 3 map chip, scratch-built high flow intake, high output IDM, open circuit fuel system, ball bearing turbo, South Bend full metal clutch, slotted and drilled rotors. Autometer Sport Comp EGT and boost gauges.

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-12-2011, 10:31 AM #3
The bolt pattern might not allow it, but what about flipping it? That would make it very tall and I don't know how much head room your bay has.

Other than that, you could measure the runner length and weld aluminum pipe to match the same length but ant whatever angle works.
This post was last modified: 03-12-2011, 10:31 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
03-12-2011, 10:31 AM #3

The bolt pattern might not allow it, but what about flipping it? That would make it very tall and I don't know how much head room your bay has.

Other than that, you could measure the runner length and weld aluminum pipe to match the same length but ant whatever angle works.

rolandcad500
Naturally-aspirated

04-09-2011, 04:02 AM #4
Thanks for the replys.

Ive looked into this now. I think its possible to weld some 90 degree bends right near the head to achieve what a need to.

Next question is, do i need to make the runners the same as factory? or will lengthening them give me more torque lower down?

Thanks in advance.
rolandcad500
04-09-2011, 04:02 AM #4

Thanks for the replys.

Ive looked into this now. I think its possible to weld some 90 degree bends right near the head to achieve what a need to.

Next question is, do i need to make the runners the same as factory? or will lengthening them give me more torque lower down?

Thanks in advance.

erling66
SuperDieselVan

04-10-2011, 03:32 AM #5
I guess low end torque can be improved by modifying the intake, but it would require lots if testing. So the easiest solution is to stay as close to the original as possible. Be careful with sharp bends near the head since they will decrease flow. Best solution: keep your manifold and move whatever it hits.
anything can be moved with some machining/welding, then you will not lose power Smile

HuhCoolTongue
erling66
04-10-2011, 03:32 AM #5

I guess low end torque can be improved by modifying the intake, but it would require lots if testing. So the easiest solution is to stay as close to the original as possible. Be careful with sharp bends near the head since they will decrease flow. Best solution: keep your manifold and move whatever it hits.
anything can be moved with some machining/welding, then you will not lose power Smile

HuhCoolTongue

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average