STD Other Alt fuels Performance upgrades and WVO????

Performance upgrades and WVO????

Performance upgrades and WVO????

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-05-2011, 08:50 AM #15
(03-03-2011, 07:05 PM)yankneck696 I do believe that it is illegal due to not paying road taxes.
Belief doesn't have an effect on reality.

(03-04-2011, 02:52 PM)yankneck696 I would like to see actual EPA studies.
Emissions is not WVO's problem. WVO has nothing even resembling a standard. One batch can be drastically different from the next, even from the same source in the same week. Oil type, age, oxidation, hydrogenation, bin cleaning chemicals, food fat, food particles, viscosity, water contamination and temperature all have a major effect on emissions and engine lifespan. There is no possible way to compensate for them.
One guy doing an uncontrolled test on a forum means nothing. His batch can have little resemblance to any individuals and nothing is mentioned as to what type of oil was used, the preparation, fuel temperature or what was measured.

Biodiesel solves this completely by having a set process and standards for the resulting product. That means one persons batch in California will be very similar to someones in New York no matter the base oil. Even an animal fat base will have similar results with only the cloud point and BTUs being different.

Quote:clearly states that WVO is not certified, but also states that there have been NO certification tests for WVO as of 2/2010
Thats because it can't be done, for the reason stated above. It also means anyone is able to attempt certification.

Quote:Some states, though, are onboard with the move to carbon-neutral WVO
Being "carbon-neutral" has no basis in scientific fact. ANY form of combustion is harmful to the environment. The only way to significantly reduce emissions is to increase efficiency, and reducing fuel economy by 20% with WVO is very counterproductive to that.

Quote:Perhaps the biggest obstacle is a simple lack of infrastructure to deal adequately with waste vegetable oil as fuel.
Thats because it has no future. WVO production depends on unhealthy foods and diets. With the trend being towards reducing fat, reducing food intake and shifting away from the fast-food format, WVO production will never be able to meet more than the fanatic demand.

Biodiesel on the other hand has no required tie to food. It can be made from raw plant matter, animal fats, algae and waste vegetable oils.

Quote:I'm sorry fellas, I didn't post in alt fuels because I wasn't asking about the fuel, I was curious if the fuel would be compatible with the fancy things like IP 7.5 elements, injectors, etc.
Yes. Pretty much anything that will burn will work, the question is for how long.

Quote:The wear will be accelerated, but if you look at your fuel budget per year & come out to several thousand, what the heck
What the heck, lets all take a crap on the environment by being wasteful, polluting and increasing the burden on other people.

Quote:The WVO is free
Besides the required conversion and hacking up a good vehicle, the occasional failure of the engine and/or injection pump. Smile

Quote:Diesel could get to $5 per gallon soon.
Gotta pay to play. I just paid $50 for half a tank and I don't have one complaint about it. If nothing else, high fuel prices means fewer people will be clogging the roads.
If cost is the primary concern, go get a $150 bike from wal-mart ... or walk.

Quote:I applaud Pennsylvania & Arkansas for allowing WVO to be used untaxed.
Even though its completely pointless given its still illegal on the federal level.

Quote:I suppose that it should be legal if they are willing to set up a taxation program for it.
Nope. Taxation doesn't change anything since pieces of the puzzle are still missing.
This post was last modified: 03-05-2011, 08:56 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
03-05-2011, 08:50 AM #15

(03-03-2011, 07:05 PM)yankneck696 I do believe that it is illegal due to not paying road taxes.
Belief doesn't have an effect on reality.

(03-04-2011, 02:52 PM)yankneck696 I would like to see actual EPA studies.
Emissions is not WVO's problem. WVO has nothing even resembling a standard. One batch can be drastically different from the next, even from the same source in the same week. Oil type, age, oxidation, hydrogenation, bin cleaning chemicals, food fat, food particles, viscosity, water contamination and temperature all have a major effect on emissions and engine lifespan. There is no possible way to compensate for them.
One guy doing an uncontrolled test on a forum means nothing. His batch can have little resemblance to any individuals and nothing is mentioned as to what type of oil was used, the preparation, fuel temperature or what was measured.

Biodiesel solves this completely by having a set process and standards for the resulting product. That means one persons batch in California will be very similar to someones in New York no matter the base oil. Even an animal fat base will have similar results with only the cloud point and BTUs being different.

Quote:clearly states that WVO is not certified, but also states that there have been NO certification tests for WVO as of 2/2010
Thats because it can't be done, for the reason stated above. It also means anyone is able to attempt certification.

Quote:Some states, though, are onboard with the move to carbon-neutral WVO
Being "carbon-neutral" has no basis in scientific fact. ANY form of combustion is harmful to the environment. The only way to significantly reduce emissions is to increase efficiency, and reducing fuel economy by 20% with WVO is very counterproductive to that.

Quote:Perhaps the biggest obstacle is a simple lack of infrastructure to deal adequately with waste vegetable oil as fuel.
Thats because it has no future. WVO production depends on unhealthy foods and diets. With the trend being towards reducing fat, reducing food intake and shifting away from the fast-food format, WVO production will never be able to meet more than the fanatic demand.

Biodiesel on the other hand has no required tie to food. It can be made from raw plant matter, animal fats, algae and waste vegetable oils.

Quote:I'm sorry fellas, I didn't post in alt fuels because I wasn't asking about the fuel, I was curious if the fuel would be compatible with the fancy things like IP 7.5 elements, injectors, etc.
Yes. Pretty much anything that will burn will work, the question is for how long.

Quote:The wear will be accelerated, but if you look at your fuel budget per year & come out to several thousand, what the heck
What the heck, lets all take a crap on the environment by being wasteful, polluting and increasing the burden on other people.

Quote:The WVO is free
Besides the required conversion and hacking up a good vehicle, the occasional failure of the engine and/or injection pump. Smile

Quote:Diesel could get to $5 per gallon soon.
Gotta pay to play. I just paid $50 for half a tank and I don't have one complaint about it. If nothing else, high fuel prices means fewer people will be clogging the roads.
If cost is the primary concern, go get a $150 bike from wal-mart ... or walk.

Quote:I applaud Pennsylvania & Arkansas for allowing WVO to be used untaxed.
Even though its completely pointless given its still illegal on the federal level.

Quote:I suppose that it should be legal if they are willing to set up a taxation program for it.
Nope. Taxation doesn't change anything since pieces of the puzzle are still missing.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by bdiesel - 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by 300D50 - 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by yankneck696 - 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by ForcedInduction - 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by winmutt - 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by yankneck696 - 03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by ForcedInduction - 03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by bdiesel - 03-03-2011, 11:09 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by dust - 03-04-2011, 05:26 AM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by yankneck696 - 03-04-2011, 02:52 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by RustyLugNut - 03-04-2011, 03:13 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by yankneck696 - 03-04-2011, 03:30 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by bdiesel - 03-04-2011, 03:39 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by yankneck696 - 03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by yankneck696 - 03-05-2011, 08:44 AM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by yankneck696 - 03-05-2011, 05:16 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by bdiesel - 03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by larsalan - 03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
RE: Performance upgrades and WVO???? - by stan - 03-08-2011, 11:18 PM