STD Tuning Drivetrain Auto or manual in my sprinter+

Auto or manual in my sprinter+

Auto or manual in my sprinter+

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rolandcad500
Naturally-aspirated

02-25-2011, 12:48 PM #1
Hi Guys

I looked for a place for an intro. Couldnt find one. So no intro.

The project is my bought from new, 2002 mercedes sprinter lwb high top. About 2 years ago, well almost. I managed to break the engine quite bad. head gaskets. It seized also.

A plan was then hatched. Put a v8 in there. Which i did. ford 5 litre with a 4 speed auto. This ran but i wasnt happy with it. Now i need this van again for work.

I have purchased a e320cdi of the same vintage. Now i want to put this engine in her now.

So the question is.

Auto or manual?

What would you do and why?

Thanks for reading. Im hoping this could be an interesting thread.

Loving the turbo diesels.

Cheers Roland
rolandcad500
02-25-2011, 12:48 PM #1

Hi Guys

I looked for a place for an intro. Couldnt find one. So no intro.

The project is my bought from new, 2002 mercedes sprinter lwb high top. About 2 years ago, well almost. I managed to break the engine quite bad. head gaskets. It seized also.

A plan was then hatched. Put a v8 in there. Which i did. ford 5 litre with a 4 speed auto. This ran but i wasnt happy with it. Now i need this van again for work.

I have purchased a e320cdi of the same vintage. Now i want to put this engine in her now.

So the question is.

Auto or manual?

What would you do and why?

Thanks for reading. Im hoping this could be an interesting thread.

Loving the turbo diesels.

Cheers Roland

Riverstick
GT2256V

03-01-2011, 02:58 AM #2
Manual every time Roland.....there is too much slippage with an auto transmission to take advantage of the copious ammounts of torque in a CDI engine.

Are you sure there's enough room to fit the inline 6 in a 2002 Sprinter?

" It is far easier to get forgiveness rather than permission"
Riverstick
03-01-2011, 02:58 AM #2

Manual every time Roland.....there is too much slippage with an auto transmission to take advantage of the copious ammounts of torque in a CDI engine.

Are you sure there's enough room to fit the inline 6 in a 2002 Sprinter?

rolandcad500
Naturally-aspirated

03-01-2011, 03:31 AM #3
Thanks for the reply. I was edging towards the auto. As its all bolted together as one unit. Working and all that. I do realise that it would be quicker if it were manual.

One of my concerns was based on whether i would be able to get the gearbox electrics away from the rest of the loom. Is there a company that does astand alone kit for this engine?

As far as to whether it fits. It is so close, maybe even touch and go as to whether it actually will fit. If it touches front to back it might be 6mm. Sideways its lots wider. So i intend to get a mate to remake/alloy weld it in a configuration so it fits. Think im going to get rid of the egr valve at the same time.

I do need to get the v8 out first before i can fully measure it.

Ive got a salvage e320cdi here ready to go in.

Cheers for your reply.

Roland
rolandcad500
03-01-2011, 03:31 AM #3

Thanks for the reply. I was edging towards the auto. As its all bolted together as one unit. Working and all that. I do realise that it would be quicker if it were manual.

One of my concerns was based on whether i would be able to get the gearbox electrics away from the rest of the loom. Is there a company that does astand alone kit for this engine?

As far as to whether it fits. It is so close, maybe even touch and go as to whether it actually will fit. If it touches front to back it might be 6mm. Sideways its lots wider. So i intend to get a mate to remake/alloy weld it in a configuration so it fits. Think im going to get rid of the egr valve at the same time.

I do need to get the v8 out first before i can fully measure it.

Ive got a salvage e320cdi here ready to go in.

Cheers for your reply.

Roland

Riverstick
GT2256V

03-01-2011, 04:36 AM #4
These came with the E270 CDI engine as standard in one of the models about the same time and were a very quick van.

You are going to have serious wiring/canbus issues no matter which way you go with your transmission. You'll have to alter the engine ECU to accept the manual transmission or you'll have to alter the vehicles wiring and electric system to accept the transmission control module

Riverstick
03-01-2011, 04:36 AM #4

These came with the E270 CDI engine as standard in one of the models about the same time and were a very quick van.

You are going to have serious wiring/canbus issues no matter which way you go with your transmission. You'll have to alter the engine ECU to accept the manual transmission or you'll have to alter the vehicles wiring and electric system to accept the transmission control module

rolandcad500
Naturally-aspirated

03-02-2011, 12:23 PM #5
Thanks for the reply.

When we bought the van new. We did see the 270cdi model. But just thought it wasnt efficient enough. But fully loaded all the time. The van never did return, that good a fuel consumption.

Think that one was a, 5 pot engine. Unlike the 6 pot we are looking to shoehorn in.

Still not sure which way to jump. Got some other bits going on at the moment. So will concentrate on this soon.

Have spoken to a mate of mine that does some remapping of quite a few motors. He said i needed a 210 engine, not a 211 one as the electronics are easier. What do i know im a carpenter.

Im well up for the challenge. Just need it a bit warmer outside, as its very cold.
rolandcad500
03-02-2011, 12:23 PM #5

Thanks for the reply.

When we bought the van new. We did see the 270cdi model. But just thought it wasnt efficient enough. But fully loaded all the time. The van never did return, that good a fuel consumption.

Think that one was a, 5 pot engine. Unlike the 6 pot we are looking to shoehorn in.

Still not sure which way to jump. Got some other bits going on at the moment. So will concentrate on this soon.

Have spoken to a mate of mine that does some remapping of quite a few motors. He said i needed a 210 engine, not a 211 one as the electronics are easier. What do i know im a carpenter.

Im well up for the challenge. Just need it a bit warmer outside, as its very cold.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average