STD Tuning Engine Centrifuge oil filter or bypass filter - anyone ?

Centrifuge oil filter or bypass filter - anyone ?

Centrifuge oil filter or bypass filter - anyone ?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RoyBatty
Naturally-aspirated

01-11-2011, 11:10 PM #1
Good New Year Mates :

Gathering some ideas of future mods -

Anyone here plumbed a centrifuge oil filter / bypass oil filter ?

Am looking at the possibility of retro fitting a Mann Hummel FM016

cheers in advance

Ich habe Dinge gesehen, die ihr Menchen niemal glauben würdet
Gigantische Schiffe, die brannten,draußen vor der Schulter des Orion
Und ich habe C-beams gesehen, glizernd im Dunkel, nahe dem Thannhäuser-Tor
All diese Moments werden verloren sein.... in der Zeit
so wie... Tränen im Regen
RoyBatty
01-11-2011, 11:10 PM #1

Good New Year Mates :

Gathering some ideas of future mods -

Anyone here plumbed a centrifuge oil filter / bypass oil filter ?

Am looking at the possibility of retro fitting a Mann Hummel FM016

cheers in advance

ForcedInduction
Banned

01-12-2011, 12:11 AM #2
Centrifugal filters are bulky and messy to clean. A bypass filter takes just a minute to change once a year.
ForcedInduction
01-12-2011, 12:11 AM #2

Centrifugal filters are bulky and messy to clean. A bypass filter takes just a minute to change once a year.

RoyBatty
Naturally-aspirated

01-12-2011, 10:19 AM #3
Say Forced Induction :

Cheers for the reply - Bypass filters are less bulky ?

the Mann Hummel FM016 from a LR TD5 moteur - about the size of a closed fist - filters down to 3 micron
the 025 model about the size of 1 ton truck standard spin on filter and filter down to 1 micron - no element to replace

cheers:

RoyBatty
01-12-2011, 10:19 AM #3

Say Forced Induction :

Cheers for the reply - Bypass filters are less bulky ?

the Mann Hummel FM016 from a LR TD5 moteur - about the size of a closed fist - filters down to 3 micron
the 025 model about the size of 1 ton truck standard spin on filter and filter down to 1 micron - no element to replace

cheers:

ronnie
GT2559V

01-12-2011, 06:35 PM #4
I've been using an Amsoil bypass on all my vehicles for some time now. Works well and easy to change. I have not tried the centrifuge, so can not say anything from experiance on that.
ronnie
01-12-2011, 06:35 PM #4

I've been using an Amsoil bypass on all my vehicles for some time now. Works well and easy to change. I have not tried the centrifuge, so can not say anything from experiance on that.

RoyBatty
Naturally-aspirated

01-12-2011, 06:52 PM #5
Say Ronnie :

Have worked on a few diesels with bypass filters - and they are quite good indeed - though I would prefer to use a centrifuge supplemental as its more about proper disposal of the filter element - Also I understand some of these new hyper glass filters are pricey - I am looking for best performance , operation and environmental concerns

So I thought I would open a discussion on oil filter centrifuges....

cheers:

RoyBatty
01-12-2011, 06:52 PM #5

Say Ronnie :

Have worked on a few diesels with bypass filters - and they are quite good indeed - though I would prefer to use a centrifuge supplemental as its more about proper disposal of the filter element - Also I understand some of these new hyper glass filters are pricey - I am looking for best performance , operation and environmental concerns

So I thought I would open a discussion on oil filter centrifuges....

cheers:

RoyBatty
Naturally-aspirated

03-31-2011, 10:52 PM #6
Say smoke026:

what are the performance specs of this Amsoil Spin on ?

Have a few Toilet paper element bypass filters I have yet to install - pretty much the same idea as this Amsoil you posted - the TP will filter down to 1 micron - TP is cheap and pretty easy to discard ( Walmart may take them as they will recycle all spin on filters - just call and ask closest with autocentre )

Installation is pretty easy ( so I hear ) but for getting the tapping drain screw for the sump pan - but can be found online if not included in theis Amsoil Kit

I am about to install a centrifuge on this idi rebuild I am just finishing - but drain and feed are way different

cheers:

RoyBatty
03-31-2011, 10:52 PM #6

Say smoke026:

what are the performance specs of this Amsoil Spin on ?

Have a few Toilet paper element bypass filters I have yet to install - pretty much the same idea as this Amsoil you posted - the TP will filter down to 1 micron - TP is cheap and pretty easy to discard ( Walmart may take them as they will recycle all spin on filters - just call and ask closest with autocentre )

Installation is pretty easy ( so I hear ) but for getting the tapping drain screw for the sump pan - but can be found online if not included in theis Amsoil Kit

I am about to install a centrifuge on this idi rebuild I am just finishing - but drain and feed are way different

cheers:

300D50
Graphite Moderator, ala RBMK

04-01-2011, 12:40 AM #7
On a 61x with the proper filter in the housing, 70%-80%of the stock filter is a bypass element already.

If you run a remote kit, just reuse the existing bypass drain on the block.

If you want to run a secondary bypass filter and keep the main filters, you can take off the back plate where the oil pressure sending unit/gauge line screws in, and drill it out for the bypass drain.
The gasket has it punched out even though it's not used, it's a hole ~ 12mm diameter. You likely will need a new gasket for it if you remove it.
The material is thin, so you may have to be careful how deep you tap if you use a taperd pipe fitting, and may need to cut down the fitting a bit as well.

The 61X filter housing stalk has a ~ 1.5mm hole for the bypass filter element and the OPSU connection is restricted with a ~ 3mm hole (I'll measure once I have everything back in my hands.), so you will need a smaller restrictor than ~ 1.5mm to make sure the secondary filter doesn't do all the work.

1990 Power Ram 50 V6 SOHC 24V 6g72

I can be wrong, don't take everything I say as verbatim, please fact-check first.
My posts are my personal opinions and thoughts, unless otherwise noted.
300D50
04-01-2011, 12:40 AM #7

On a 61x with the proper filter in the housing, 70%-80%of the stock filter is a bypass element already.

If you run a remote kit, just reuse the existing bypass drain on the block.

If you want to run a secondary bypass filter and keep the main filters, you can take off the back plate where the oil pressure sending unit/gauge line screws in, and drill it out for the bypass drain.
The gasket has it punched out even though it's not used, it's a hole ~ 12mm diameter. You likely will need a new gasket for it if you remove it.
The material is thin, so you may have to be careful how deep you tap if you use a taperd pipe fitting, and may need to cut down the fitting a bit as well.

The 61X filter housing stalk has a ~ 1.5mm hole for the bypass filter element and the OPSU connection is restricted with a ~ 3mm hole (I'll measure once I have everything back in my hands.), so you will need a smaller restrictor than ~ 1.5mm to make sure the secondary filter doesn't do all the work.

I can be wrong, don't take everything I say as verbatim, please fact-check first.

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-02-2011, 11:03 AM #8
(04-01-2011, 12:40 AM)300D50 70%-80%of the stock filter is a bypass element already.

70-80% of the stock filter is garbage that doesn't filter worth a crap.
ForcedInduction
04-02-2011, 11:03 AM #8

(04-01-2011, 12:40 AM)300D50 70%-80%of the stock filter is a bypass element already.

70-80% of the stock filter is garbage that doesn't filter worth a crap.

RoyBatty
Naturally-aspirated

04-02-2011, 11:56 AM #9
say ForcedInduction:

Do you think this way because the stock spin on is only designed to filter down to 7-8 micron and these idi's are very sooty ?

cheers
This post was last modified: 04-02-2011, 12:08 PM by RoyBatty.

RoyBatty
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM #9

say ForcedInduction:

Do you think this way because the stock spin on is only designed to filter down to 7-8 micron and these idi's are very sooty ?

cheers

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-02-2011, 12:23 PM #10
No. Its because the stock bypass "filter" is loosely packed, dirty cotton gin waste (mote).

First, its full of dirt, twigs, rocks and bugs (The "Made in Turkey" Fram and bypass-less Napa/Wix/Baldwin being the only exceptions). A Filter should remove dirt and debris, not add it.

Second, cotton needs to be spun to be an effective filter. Loosely packing lint is a very poor filter. All fluids take the path of least resistance. Since the bypass flow is restricted by a 1mm orifice in the filter stem, the oil flow is very low and immediately forms channels around the cotton.

At best, the "bypass filter" catches whatever happens to settle as it passes by.
ForcedInduction
04-02-2011, 12:23 PM #10

No. Its because the stock bypass "filter" is loosely packed, dirty cotton gin waste (mote).

First, its full of dirt, twigs, rocks and bugs (The "Made in Turkey" Fram and bypass-less Napa/Wix/Baldwin being the only exceptions). A Filter should remove dirt and debris, not add it.

Second, cotton needs to be spun to be an effective filter. Loosely packing lint is a very poor filter. All fluids take the path of least resistance. Since the bypass flow is restricted by a 1mm orifice in the filter stem, the oil flow is very low and immediately forms channels around the cotton.

At best, the "bypass filter" catches whatever happens to settle as it passes by.

300D50
Graphite Moderator, ala RBMK

04-02-2011, 04:29 PM #11
Did not know that, I had always thought the OE bypass was good.

I know what I'm doing now, tapping the back for the bypass and getting the non-bypass filter carttridge.

Happen to have the NAPA part number?

300D50
04-02-2011, 04:29 PM #11

Did not know that, I had always thought the OE bypass was good.

I know what I'm doing now, tapping the back for the bypass and getting the non-bypass filter carttridge.

Happen to have the NAPA part number?

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

04-02-2011, 05:00 PM #12
Personally I do have a problem with the waste cotton gin in the filters.

But there are UOA's out there that state they are doing a good job.

Here is one I go from a peachparts post. This fella is using the Cheap STP oil filter with the waste cotton bypass.
Soot levels on a 617 using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 are low at 0.3% insolubles at a 4900 mile check up. But of course he added 3 quarts of oil so that could be the cause of low insolubles and high TBN.

I agree the waste cotton bypass would probably not be uniform in filtering, in which the end user may have different results.

The WIX full flow only filter number is WIX 1364. Keep in mind this is rated at 32 microns. Much higher then the other noted below.

The Baldwin P102 has both fulll flow and by-pass full flow section at 18 microns and the by-pass section at 15 microns with the bypass element similar to the full flow section with no cotton.

Mann-
Full flow section 27 microns
Noted here by Peachparts member SUNRG
By pass is undetermined

Fram -
Full flow section 25 microns
Note by peachparts member moonlite
By pass is undetermined.

Mahle -
Full flow section 22 microns
Noted by peachparts member moonlite
By pass is undetermined.
This post was last modified: 04-02-2011, 05:01 PM by DeliveryValve.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
04-02-2011, 05:00 PM #12

Personally I do have a problem with the waste cotton gin in the filters.

But there are UOA's out there that state they are doing a good job.

Here is one I go from a peachparts post. This fella is using the Cheap STP oil filter with the waste cotton bypass.
Soot levels on a 617 using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 are low at 0.3% insolubles at a 4900 mile check up. But of course he added 3 quarts of oil so that could be the cause of low insolubles and high TBN.

I agree the waste cotton bypass would probably not be uniform in filtering, in which the end user may have different results.

The WIX full flow only filter number is WIX 1364. Keep in mind this is rated at 32 microns. Much higher then the other noted below.

The Baldwin P102 has both fulll flow and by-pass full flow section at 18 microns and the by-pass section at 15 microns with the bypass element similar to the full flow section with no cotton.

Mann-
Full flow section 27 microns
Noted here by Peachparts member SUNRG
By pass is undetermined

Fram -
Full flow section 25 microns
Note by peachparts member moonlite
By pass is undetermined.

Mahle -
Full flow section 22 microns
Noted by peachparts member moonlite
By pass is undetermined.