STD Tuning Engine Pick n pull engine

Pick n pull engine

Pick n pull engine

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

vgS30
Naturally-aspirated

12-31-2010, 09:09 PM #1
Hello everybody i am new to this forum as a member but have been learning about mercedes diesel engines for several years, the reason for this post is that i wanted to get an om617 turbo for a future project (european sports car) . anyways what would be signs to look for a healthy engine and to avoid an unhealthy one, also any advice on year mileage etc.. thanks!
vgS30
12-31-2010, 09:09 PM #1

Hello everybody i am new to this forum as a member but have been learning about mercedes diesel engines for several years, the reason for this post is that i wanted to get an om617 turbo for a future project (european sports car) . anyways what would be signs to look for a healthy engine and to avoid an unhealthy one, also any advice on year mileage etc.. thanks!

larsalan
Superturbo

12-31-2010, 09:33 PM #2
If you're going to try and pump up the horses. Here all the mechanics are all moding the pumps to push more fuel.
Of course they are rebuilting the motors so that's quite an ordeal. And they say the older intake manifolds are better to flow more air than the newer ones.

You gotta tell us/them how much work/$ you are going to put into it.

Just to find a healthy motor will be one that runs and doesn't have blowby like a steam train.
then switch to synthetic oil, get new injectors and/or nozzles etc.

For sure you need to describe your goals more.
If you just wanna make sure you don't buy a junk engine that should be quite easy.

maybe don't get one that some hippy has run 1000 gallons of wvo through
This post was last modified: 12-31-2010, 09:34 PM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
12-31-2010, 09:33 PM #2

If you're going to try and pump up the horses. Here all the mechanics are all moding the pumps to push more fuel.
Of course they are rebuilting the motors so that's quite an ordeal. And they say the older intake manifolds are better to flow more air than the newer ones.

You gotta tell us/them how much work/$ you are going to put into it.

Just to find a healthy motor will be one that runs and doesn't have blowby like a steam train.
then switch to synthetic oil, get new injectors and/or nozzles etc.

For sure you need to describe your goals more.
If you just wanna make sure you don't buy a junk engine that should be quite easy.

maybe don't get one that some hippy has run 1000 gallons of wvo through

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

01-01-2011, 01:10 AM #3
At the pick and pull yard's I always look for a car that was in an accident and looks well maintained so you know it was probably running before it got scraped! If it's a nice clean car with out any damage it's there for usually one of two reasons engine or trans!

always check mileage if you can and look for tell tail sings like leaks and maintenance record's sometimes still found in the glove box!

Good Luck William

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
01-01-2011, 01:10 AM #3

At the pick and pull yard's I always look for a car that was in an accident and looks well maintained so you know it was probably running before it got scraped! If it's a nice clean car with out any damage it's there for usually one of two reasons engine or trans!

always check mileage if you can and look for tell tail sings like leaks and maintenance record's sometimes still found in the glove box!

Good Luck William

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

vgS30
Naturally-aspirated

01-01-2011, 06:30 AM #4
Great thanks for the info i will be heading out to the yard soon, i already know to look for wrecked vehicles because of their likely hood of having mechanical issues is not as high. I was more referring to casting numbers, years, and any parts that are more likely to be broken specific to the om617,

AS far as goals go with this engine, i plan to clean it up get it running mate it to a 4 or 5 speed trans and put it in a lightweight car and as far as modifications go well not sure at this point, but i definetly cant leave it stock, ... i really cant

thanks again
oh yeah and also i am i correct that the SD engines are not as desireable for some reason?
This post was last modified: 01-01-2011, 06:43 AM by vgS30.
vgS30
01-01-2011, 06:30 AM #4

Great thanks for the info i will be heading out to the yard soon, i already know to look for wrecked vehicles because of their likely hood of having mechanical issues is not as high. I was more referring to casting numbers, years, and any parts that are more likely to be broken specific to the om617,

AS far as goals go with this engine, i plan to clean it up get it running mate it to a 4 or 5 speed trans and put it in a lightweight car and as far as modifications go well not sure at this point, but i definetly cant leave it stock, ... i really cant

thanks again

oh yeah and also i am i correct that the SD engines are not as desireable for some reason?

larsalan
Superturbo

01-01-2011, 09:21 AM #5
make sure and get a turbo motor. Then probably want to find a newer turbo and look at the pump adjustment thread.
http://superturbodiesel.com/std/ip-full-...t-189.html

I would think the newer the better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM617_engine

except for the intake manifold

larsalan
01-01-2011, 09:21 AM #5

make sure and get a turbo motor. Then probably want to find a newer turbo and look at the pump adjustment thread.
http://superturbodiesel.com/std/ip-full-...t-189.html

I would think the newer the better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM617_engine

except for the intake manifold

ForcedInduction
Banned

01-02-2011, 10:52 AM #6
I honestly wouldn't take an engine out of anything other than an accident vehicle. If the vehicle looks intact, it likely had at least one major powertrain problem.
ForcedInduction
01-02-2011, 10:52 AM #6

I honestly wouldn't take an engine out of anything other than an accident vehicle. If the vehicle looks intact, it likely had at least one major powertrain problem.

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

01-02-2011, 05:52 PM #7
I agree on getting it from a wreck. At least ya know it ran when it was taken off the road. I did auto salvage for 3 years & it is a very important part of the decision process.
yankneck696
01-02-2011, 05:52 PM #7

I agree on getting it from a wreck. At least ya know it ran when it was taken off the road. I did auto salvage for 3 years & it is a very important part of the decision process.

JB3
Superturbo

01-03-2011, 10:43 AM #8
(01-02-2011, 10:52 AM)ForcedInduction I honestly wouldn't take an engine out of anything other than an accident vehicle. If the vehicle looks intact, it likely had at least one major powertrain problem.

wreck or rusted out. Look for rusted out cars as well. I personally have retired multiple rusted out cars that otherwise ran great. Depending on your location, you may find quite a few good engines in otherwise decent looking cars that were retired due to rust.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
01-03-2011, 10:43 AM #8

(01-02-2011, 10:52 AM)ForcedInduction I honestly wouldn't take an engine out of anything other than an accident vehicle. If the vehicle looks intact, it likely had at least one major powertrain problem.

wreck or rusted out. Look for rusted out cars as well. I personally have retired multiple rusted out cars that otherwise ran great. Depending on your location, you may find quite a few good engines in otherwise decent looking cars that were retired due to rust.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

ForcedInduction
Banned

01-03-2011, 10:51 AM #9
I would question rusted vehicles as well. If the owner lets it rust that bad it was likely allowed to be neglected. An owner is less likely to maintain the powertrain of a rust bucket and allowing it to become a rust bucket shows they didn't care enough to wash off salt/Mag or repair rust as it appears.
This post was last modified: 01-03-2011, 10:51 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
01-03-2011, 10:51 AM #9

I would question rusted vehicles as well. If the owner lets it rust that bad it was likely allowed to be neglected. An owner is less likely to maintain the powertrain of a rust bucket and allowing it to become a rust bucket shows they didn't care enough to wash off salt/Mag or repair rust as it appears.

mcneil
Naturally-aspirated

01-07-2011, 04:30 PM #10
As a former owner of several impeccably maintained engines in rusted out bodies.. a rusted junkyard hulk can hold a good motor depending on where you are.

If we're talking yankee road cancer, then even the most meticulously maintained car from the 80's is toast. The salt dries on the roads, turns into a dry talcum-like powder, and gets everywhere, including between the inner and outer rockers. I never found a way to prevent that.

If you're in the rust belt, look at the air cleaner nut - if that's rusted on, it hasn't been opened in a while, and it's probably not well maintained. Likewise with other fittings and the linkage ends on top of the motor.

But if you're in a mildly salted part of the country, Forced is right.. if you can't keep a Oregon or Texas car from rusting, you're probably not maintaining much else..

1983 300SD - 350k miles, disassembled for a head R&R
2010 Golf TDI - The wife's car
mcneil
01-07-2011, 04:30 PM #10

As a former owner of several impeccably maintained engines in rusted out bodies.. a rusted junkyard hulk can hold a good motor depending on where you are.

If we're talking yankee road cancer, then even the most meticulously maintained car from the 80's is toast. The salt dries on the roads, turns into a dry talcum-like powder, and gets everywhere, including between the inner and outer rockers. I never found a way to prevent that.

If you're in the rust belt, look at the air cleaner nut - if that's rusted on, it hasn't been opened in a while, and it's probably not well maintained. Likewise with other fittings and the linkage ends on top of the motor.

But if you're in a mildly salted part of the country, Forced is right.. if you can't keep a Oregon or Texas car from rusting, you're probably not maintaining much else..

1983 300SD - 350k miles, disassembled for a head R&R
2010 Golf TDI - The wife's car

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average