STD Other Open hvac problem and wastegate oil?

hvac problem and wastegate oil?

hvac problem and wastegate oil?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

larsalan
Superturbo

12-27-2010, 09:39 PM #1
Was on the interstate today coming back from xmas vacation. Everything was going great but, I had 2 issues.

One the heat started to blow luke warm air then onto colder. I pulled off and as I slowed on the ramp the heat blasted back. It went out again later and didn't come back till I got home, shut her off and back on again.
Does that point to any clear issue?

Also, this will be my third time doing this trip. The first time I lost about a quart of oil. The second a bit less. And this time it seemed like a lot more. I posted once about oil all in my wastegate and I think this is where the majority of it's going. This third trip I was up on the wastegate for the majority of the time where the other trips I was boosting lower. Don't know why, maybe the colder air?
Does that sound reasonable? That the oil is sneaking into the wastegate as blowby vapor.

thanks

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
12-27-2010, 09:39 PM #1

Was on the interstate today coming back from xmas vacation. Everything was going great but, I had 2 issues.

One the heat started to blow luke warm air then onto colder. I pulled off and as I slowed on the ramp the heat blasted back. It went out again later and didn't come back till I got home, shut her off and back on again.
Does that point to any clear issue?

Also, this will be my third time doing this trip. The first time I lost about a quart of oil. The second a bit less. And this time it seemed like a lot more. I posted once about oil all in my wastegate and I think this is where the majority of it's going. This third trip I was up on the wastegate for the majority of the time where the other trips I was boosting lower. Don't know why, maybe the colder air?
Does that sound reasonable? That the oil is sneaking into the wastegate as blowby vapor.

thanks

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-27-2010, 11:38 PM #2
Oil in the wastegate is normal from the CCV recirculating to the intake.

Cold water could be the circulation pump stopping and restricting flow. It usually just needs a new o-ring, corrosion removal and a drop of oil on the bearings.
ForcedInduction
12-27-2010, 11:38 PM #2

Oil in the wastegate is normal from the CCV recirculating to the intake.

Cold water could be the circulation pump stopping and restricting flow. It usually just needs a new o-ring, corrosion removal and a drop of oil on the bearings.

larsalan
Superturbo

12-28-2010, 07:43 AM #3
yeah, I remember you saying oil in the wastegate was normal. AT 8.65 a quart I can't afford to be loosing the stuff so quickly.
I'm saying the wastegate is set at like 10psi and this trip I was pegged on that 10psi @ 65+ mph. Where before I was generating 8-9 psi and it seams that less oil was lost.
Maybe I can have an air/oil separator on the line leading to the wastegate?

larsalan
12-28-2010, 07:43 AM #3

yeah, I remember you saying oil in the wastegate was normal. AT 8.65 a quart I can't afford to be loosing the stuff so quickly.
I'm saying the wastegate is set at like 10psi and this trip I was pegged on that 10psi @ 65+ mph. Where before I was generating 8-9 psi and it seams that less oil was lost.
Maybe I can have an air/oil separator on the line leading to the wastegate?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average