STD Maintenance General Ignition Tumbler wont turn help needed?

Ignition Tumbler wont turn help needed?

Ignition Tumbler wont turn help needed?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

W116Lorinser
OM617.95

12-24-2010, 12:16 AM #1
My car is pretty much completely restored with all new parts except for a couple parts here or there and the last thing i expected to go wrong was not being able to start the car due to the tumbler.

Couple weeks ago i had alittle trouble getting the car to turn all the way to third position to start and then i finally got it. After that the car was perfect until today.

I went to home depot and when i came back the car wouldnt turn to start.

The wheel works and turns so i dont have a wheel lockout problem.

i tried moving the car back and front and turning the wheel with no luck at all. Lucky enough my car wasnt too far away from home and that i have electric start option with key in second postion i was able to steer and drive it home without having it towed.

So is my problem only the tumbler and is this a easy job to remove and install a new one?

any help would be greatly appreciatedBig Grin

W116Lorinser
12-24-2010, 12:16 AM #1

My car is pretty much completely restored with all new parts except for a couple parts here or there and the last thing i expected to go wrong was not being able to start the car due to the tumbler.

Couple weeks ago i had alittle trouble getting the car to turn all the way to third position to start and then i finally got it. After that the car was perfect until today.

I went to home depot and when i came back the car wouldnt turn to start.

The wheel works and turns so i dont have a wheel lockout problem.

i tried moving the car back and front and turning the wheel with no luck at all. Lucky enough my car wasnt too far away from home and that i have electric start option with key in second postion i was able to steer and drive it home without having it towed.

So is my problem only the tumbler and is this a easy job to remove and install a new one?

any help would be greatly appreciatedBig Grin

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-24-2010, 09:02 AM #2
If you can get it into the #2 position, its best to replace the entire lock column asap. Otherwise you'll have to drill it out when it fails completely like mine did.

To check if its the electrical switch, pull out the back plug, remove the three flatblade screws, pull it out and you can turn the switch/start the engine with a screwdriver.
This post was last modified: 12-24-2010, 09:03 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
12-24-2010, 09:02 AM #2

If you can get it into the #2 position, its best to replace the entire lock column asap. Otherwise you'll have to drill it out when it fails completely like mine did.

To check if its the electrical switch, pull out the back plug, remove the three flatblade screws, pull it out and you can turn the switch/start the engine with a screwdriver.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

12-24-2010, 01:44 PM #3
1st disconnect the vacuum shut off valve on the injection pump and run a wire from the starter solenoid to the battery and that will get it started and home!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
12-24-2010, 01:44 PM #3

1st disconnect the vacuum shut off valve on the injection pump and run a wire from the starter solenoid to the battery and that will get it started and home!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

W116Lorinser
OM617.95

12-24-2010, 07:41 PM #4
its 30 years old so better to replace anyway.

im just gonna buy a new tumbler and key set from the dealer and the ignition lock housing for around $200.

how hard is it to install this myself? any tips?

thanks

W116Lorinser
12-24-2010, 07:41 PM #4

its 30 years old so better to replace anyway.

im just gonna buy a new tumbler and key set from the dealer and the ignition lock housing for around $200.

how hard is it to install this myself? any tips?

thanks

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-26-2010, 10:36 PM #5
Install is easy, not damaging the dash hole or cracking the dash isn't. Go slow. Put the key into #2, remove the 10mm collar, out from that collar is a little button, press that and the whole thing slides right out. Might help if you drop the column.

W116 might be a little different so YMMV.
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/remo...-1658.html
This post was last modified: 12-26-2010, 10:38 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
12-26-2010, 10:36 PM #5

Install is easy, not damaging the dash hole or cracking the dash isn't. Go slow. Put the key into #2, remove the 10mm collar, out from that collar is a little button, press that and the whole thing slides right out. Might help if you drop the column.

W116 might be a little different so YMMV.
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/remo...-1658.html

W116Lorinser
OM617.95

01-06-2011, 03:26 AM #6
yea the w116 is alittle different but pretty easy after finally getting it.

heres is a right up step by step for getting it out of the W116 if you cant remove the tumbler and the steering lock is locked.

1) Disconnect Battery. Then remove the instrument cluster. Remove all connections in the back of cluster except the oil line for the oil gauge that way you can move it all the way to the left so you have room to work in the cluster opening.

2)I then unscrewed the TWO screws that were securing the lock column to the metal support that are directly behind and down from where the speedometer cluster would be. But dont completely take the screws out yet.

3)Then i removed the plastic piece above the brake pedal and under the dash to get a better view of everything from underneath.

4) There is another screw right beside the Steering column screws which is for the U-Clamp that secures the steering lock to the steering column. Remove that bolt then Remove the steering column screws and the U-Clamp then bring the steering column down. Also remove the vacuum lines on the steering lock. But make sure you mark which ones go where because if you install them the wrong way your car wont shut off.

5.)When you bring the column down also push in the Steering lock/ tumbler assembly so it goes behind the dash hole and down to the left. This is so that you can get room to see the Steering lock pin. The lock Pin is on the left side of the column. You will need a Dremel tool with a grinding bit attachment. Then Grind the pin down enough so that you can remove the steering wheel lock from the column. Just push and pull until it comes out. If its not coming out you have to grind pin down alittle more. Also remove the electrical connection at the back of the steering lock.

6. When You remove the steering lock it will have a push pin on the left where it was inserted into the steering column. Take your new Key that you have from the new tumbler set your purchased insert it into the old tumbler. Then push the steering lock pin and insert key to second position. Take a paper clip push it into the tiny hole on the tumbler and remove the Black circular assembly that secures the tumbler to the steering lock.

7. Since i purchased a brand new Steering lock assembly i reinstalled my new tumbler and black circular assembly. Just make sure you align the key with the black circular assembly for position (two) that way it functions correctly. I then put the new steering lock back into the Steering column. I installed the 2 vacuum lines then the electric pin connecter in the rear. Reinstalled column to support piece and reinstalled instrument cluster and double checked everything. Connect battery and start car.

PS. you dont need to reinstall the u clamp that holds the steering lock to the column but if your anal about it then you can.

W116Lorinser
01-06-2011, 03:26 AM #6

yea the w116 is alittle different but pretty easy after finally getting it.

heres is a right up step by step for getting it out of the W116 if you cant remove the tumbler and the steering lock is locked.

1) Disconnect Battery. Then remove the instrument cluster. Remove all connections in the back of cluster except the oil line for the oil gauge that way you can move it all the way to the left so you have room to work in the cluster opening.

2)I then unscrewed the TWO screws that were securing the lock column to the metal support that are directly behind and down from where the speedometer cluster would be. But dont completely take the screws out yet.

3)Then i removed the plastic piece above the brake pedal and under the dash to get a better view of everything from underneath.

4) There is another screw right beside the Steering column screws which is for the U-Clamp that secures the steering lock to the steering column. Remove that bolt then Remove the steering column screws and the U-Clamp then bring the steering column down. Also remove the vacuum lines on the steering lock. But make sure you mark which ones go where because if you install them the wrong way your car wont shut off.

5.)When you bring the column down also push in the Steering lock/ tumbler assembly so it goes behind the dash hole and down to the left. This is so that you can get room to see the Steering lock pin. The lock Pin is on the left side of the column. You will need a Dremel tool with a grinding bit attachment. Then Grind the pin down enough so that you can remove the steering wheel lock from the column. Just push and pull until it comes out. If its not coming out you have to grind pin down alittle more. Also remove the electrical connection at the back of the steering lock.

6. When You remove the steering lock it will have a push pin on the left where it was inserted into the steering column. Take your new Key that you have from the new tumbler set your purchased insert it into the old tumbler. Then push the steering lock pin and insert key to second position. Take a paper clip push it into the tiny hole on the tumbler and remove the Black circular assembly that secures the tumbler to the steering lock.

7. Since i purchased a brand new Steering lock assembly i reinstalled my new tumbler and black circular assembly. Just make sure you align the key with the black circular assembly for position (two) that way it functions correctly. I then put the new steering lock back into the Steering column. I installed the 2 vacuum lines then the electric pin connecter in the rear. Reinstalled column to support piece and reinstalled instrument cluster and double checked everything. Connect battery and start car.

PS. you dont need to reinstall the u clamp that holds the steering lock to the column but if your anal about it then you can.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average