STD Tuning Engine The grass is always greener...

The grass is always greener...

The grass is always greener...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mdeming
Naturally-aspirated

11-29-2010, 05:36 PM #1
Ok, everyone has been a big help as I begin to get the car bug again after taking 8 years to recover from my ill advised 356 resto but that's a long story.

I really like the mods you have put on your cars and I like the looks and drive of my 82 CDT. That being said, my car was not a little old lady pampered ride and I've been torn about keeping it or punting. I don't mind either but the consensus seems to be that this is a poor motor to hotrod.

My wife said I should just get another car. Not wanting to waste this once in a lifetime statement I've been looking around in passing. Turns out a guy that lives four houses down has a mercedes tucked under his carport that is a 300d 2.5 turbo according to the trunk. I don't know much about the 124 and am wondering your thoughts between the two models.
regards
MDEMING
mdeming
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM #1

Ok, everyone has been a big help as I begin to get the car bug again after taking 8 years to recover from my ill advised 356 resto but that's a long story.

I really like the mods you have put on your cars and I like the looks and drive of my 82 CDT. That being said, my car was not a little old lady pampered ride and I've been torn about keeping it or punting. I don't mind either but the consensus seems to be that this is a poor motor to hotrod.

My wife said I should just get another car. Not wanting to waste this once in a lifetime statement I've been looking around in passing. Turns out a guy that lives four houses down has a mercedes tucked under his carport that is a 300d 2.5 turbo according to the trunk. I don't know much about the 124 and am wondering your thoughts between the two models.
regards
MDEMING

winmutt
bitbanger

11-29-2010, 05:41 PM #2
(11-29-2010, 05:36 PM)mdeming My wife said I should just get another car. Not wanting to waste this once in a lifetime statement I've been looking around in passing. Turns out a guy that lives four houses down has a mercedes tucked under his carport that is a 300d 2.5 turbo according to the trunk. I don't know much about the 124 and am wondering your thoughts between the two models.
regards
MDEMING

No way should you pass that up (what the wife said that is).
2.5, weak head gasket, vacuum pump can explode and ruin engine (ball bearings in the crank case), 91 and later have wiring issues. To be fair these issues are not that common.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
11-29-2010, 05:41 PM #2

(11-29-2010, 05:36 PM)mdeming My wife said I should just get another car. Not wanting to waste this once in a lifetime statement I've been looking around in passing. Turns out a guy that lives four houses down has a mercedes tucked under his carport that is a 300d 2.5 turbo according to the trunk. I don't know much about the 124 and am wondering your thoughts between the two models.
regards
MDEMING

No way should you pass that up (what the wife said that is).
2.5, weak head gasket, vacuum pump can explode and ruin engine (ball bearings in the crank case), 91 and later have wiring issues. To be fair these issues are not that common.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

larsalan
Superturbo

11-29-2010, 06:09 PM #3
Let's hear more about the 123. You say you have a 82 coupe with a 617 turbo? Why is it poor to "hotrod"? It will never be a corvette or viper or whatever car but, some guys here have tweaked out the 617 greatly.
Also, the 617 is revered as a great motor. Maybe you want a 606?

Do you mean the 617 is a bad motor to "hotrod" or your specific engine is no more good?

Maybe we can get some pics and you can start a car profile.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
11-29-2010, 06:09 PM #3

Let's hear more about the 123. You say you have a 82 coupe with a 617 turbo? Why is it poor to "hotrod"? It will never be a corvette or viper or whatever car but, some guys here have tweaked out the 617 greatly.
Also, the 617 is revered as a great motor. Maybe you want a 606?

Do you mean the 617 is a bad motor to "hotrod" or your specific engine is no more good?

Maybe we can get some pics and you can start a car profile.

mdeming
Naturally-aspirated

11-29-2010, 09:58 PM #4
Roger that, I need to create a car profile and I really do like my CDT and these mods that have been created by some really impressive and creative engineering. I'll take some photos tomorrow when I finally get around to my dry ice project. I guess I don't know what to expect from a fully Super diesel (non Finn); Is it more power than say the current E320? Those sedans have 400+ lbs of torque and can really get up and go.

More tomorrow.
MD
mdeming
11-29-2010, 09:58 PM #4

Roger that, I need to create a car profile and I really do like my CDT and these mods that have been created by some really impressive and creative engineering. I'll take some photos tomorrow when I finally get around to my dry ice project. I guess I don't know what to expect from a fully Super diesel (non Finn); Is it more power than say the current E320? Those sedans have 400+ lbs of torque and can really get up and go.

More tomorrow.
MD

larsalan
Superturbo

11-29-2010, 10:09 PM #5
what the hell are you going to do with dry ice?

larsalan
11-29-2010, 10:09 PM #5

what the hell are you going to do with dry ice?

mdeming
Naturally-aspirated

12-01-2010, 03:56 PM #6
I removed most of the tar insulation with the dry ice; not sure heat wouldn't have been just as easy but we'll see as I progress to the rear seat. I have photos to upload re: car profile and this dry ice project however I found rust and am going to attack the rear insulation to see how bad it is. I am removing the seat and the rear bolts just spin. I've tried to apply pressure to the bottom of the seat with a jack but its not helping. I don't have a tap set so if drilling out the rear bolts is my only option please give me the steps. Stuck in without an attached seat in the meantime...
mdeming
12-01-2010, 03:56 PM #6

I removed most of the tar insulation with the dry ice; not sure heat wouldn't have been just as easy but we'll see as I progress to the rear seat. I have photos to upload re: car profile and this dry ice project however I found rust and am going to attack the rear insulation to see how bad it is. I am removing the seat and the rear bolts just spin. I've tried to apply pressure to the bottom of the seat with a jack but its not helping. I don't have a tap set so if drilling out the rear bolts is my only option please give me the steps. Stuck in without an attached seat in the meantime...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average