STD Tuning Suspension 300td SLS Spring conversion

300td SLS Spring conversion

300td SLS Spring conversion

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

propigskinSLS
Naturally-aspirated

11-28-2010, 07:54 AM #1
Hey guys-

I know there has been some talk this forum for the spring conversion I made for the 300TD wagon. I have sold a good amount of these coil spring sets with no complaints from members of this board and others.

The springs are 225 shipped. If you want shocks in addition, the cost is 90 shipped for those. I take checks, money orders, chase quickpay, or paypal (+3%).

If you are interested in a set, please feel free to ask questions. This is not my business, just helping others as I had the same issues with my 300TD. An overcomplicated and expensive SLS system that broke and I wanted a cheap and reliable fix to the problem. It has worked great to me. Too bad Mercedes didnt do this from the start.

For more info, check out my site at SLSconversion.com.

Erik
propigskin@aol.com
propigskinSLS
11-28-2010, 07:54 AM #1

Hey guys-

I know there has been some talk this forum for the spring conversion I made for the 300TD wagon. I have sold a good amount of these coil spring sets with no complaints from members of this board and others.

The springs are 225 shipped. If you want shocks in addition, the cost is 90 shipped for those. I take checks, money orders, chase quickpay, or paypal (+3%).

If you are interested in a set, please feel free to ask questions. This is not my business, just helping others as I had the same issues with my 300TD. An overcomplicated and expensive SLS system that broke and I wanted a cheap and reliable fix to the problem. It has worked great to me. Too bad Mercedes didnt do this from the start.

For more info, check out my site at SLSconversion.com.

Erik
propigskin@aol.com

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-28-2010, 08:40 AM #2
$225 is usually more than enough to fix any problem with the system. Even a good used pump can be had for around $100.
ForcedInduction
11-28-2010, 08:40 AM #2

$225 is usually more than enough to fix any problem with the system. Even a good used pump can be had for around $100.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

11-28-2010, 10:42 AM #3
IMO, to remove an SLS and replace with standard springs etc is a backwards step.

A working SLS system is brilliant. The only parts that can be pricey are the pump and actuators, but these can be had second-hand at reasonable prices...

The valves can be re-built and there's nothing much more to the system...

To avoid excessive wear, just change the fluid every year or so, like you would brake-fluid and you'll not have many issues...
Always use Z-HM fluid, it aint expensive....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
11-28-2010, 10:42 AM #3

IMO, to remove an SLS and replace with standard springs etc is a backwards step.

A working SLS system is brilliant. The only parts that can be pricey are the pump and actuators, but these can be had second-hand at reasonable prices...

The valves can be re-built and there's nothing much more to the system...

To avoid excessive wear, just change the fluid every year or so, like you would brake-fluid and you'll not have many issues...
Always use Z-HM fluid, it aint expensive....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

propigskinSLS
Naturally-aspirated

11-29-2010, 03:37 AM #4
In response, I do work a full time job and am not looking to get rich off of selling springs. I had so many issues with my SLS system on my Mercedes that I designed this conversion. I figured I'd offer it up to others and everyone has been happy thus far. Yes, you can probably repair the system for the cost of conventional springs with used parts. However, those parts are used and probably are on their way out. My 300td needed a another pump and both shocks- new shocks would have set me back about 200 each plus the pump-so it was not worth it. I was so happy with conventional rear springs and no more driveway leaks. To each his own but its a good option to look at regardless..

-Thanks
Any questions, propigskin@aol.com
propigskinSLS
11-29-2010, 03:37 AM #4

In response, I do work a full time job and am not looking to get rich off of selling springs. I had so many issues with my SLS system on my Mercedes that I designed this conversion. I figured I'd offer it up to others and everyone has been happy thus far. Yes, you can probably repair the system for the cost of conventional springs with used parts. However, those parts are used and probably are on their way out. My 300td needed a another pump and both shocks- new shocks would have set me back about 200 each plus the pump-so it was not worth it. I was so happy with conventional rear springs and no more driveway leaks. To each his own but its a good option to look at regardless..

-Thanks
Any questions, propigskin@aol.com

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-29-2010, 12:28 PM #5
(11-29-2010, 03:37 AM)propigskinSLS However, those parts are used and probably are on their way out.
That is extremely poor logic. EVERY car runs on used parts. If you're worried about used parts being "on their way out" then you'd better buy a new car off the dealer lot every day.
ForcedInduction
11-29-2010, 12:28 PM #5

(11-29-2010, 03:37 AM)propigskinSLS However, those parts are used and probably are on their way out.
That is extremely poor logic. EVERY car runs on used parts. If you're worried about used parts being "on their way out" then you'd better buy a new car off the dealer lot every day.

propigskinSLS
Naturally-aspirated

11-29-2010, 05:00 PM #6
Really? I think thats common sense. Most of these used SLS parts are over 25 years old now. They more than likely are worn and who knows if the last owner serviced them with new fluid or not. Its a crapshoot. Just like buying a used engine from a junkyard or used axles, etc. I'd rather put my money into something that works forsure than a crapshoot that I might need to tear apart again just to use another used part. You do have a very valid opinion, as its another option in the game... but you might want to try the springs before you bash them. Tongue

(11-29-2010, 12:28 PM)ForcedInduction

propigskinSLS
11-29-2010, 05:00 PM #6

Really? I think thats common sense. Most of these used SLS parts are over 25 years old now. They more than likely are worn and who knows if the last owner serviced them with new fluid or not. Its a crapshoot. Just like buying a used engine from a junkyard or used axles, etc. I'd rather put my money into something that works forsure than a crapshoot that I might need to tear apart again just to use another used part. You do have a very valid opinion, as its another option in the game... but you might want to try the springs before you bash them. Tongue

(11-29-2010, 12:28 PM)ForcedInduction

Jtn190D
MERCEDES DIESEL POWER!

11-29-2010, 05:24 PM #7
Forced likes to bash people. I think people with comman sense get your point.
Jtn190D
11-29-2010, 05:24 PM #7

Forced likes to bash people. I think people with comman sense get your point.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-29-2010, 05:27 PM #8
(11-29-2010, 05:00 PM)propigskinSLS I think thats common sense.
Nope. If thats your mentality then these cars are a bad choice for you.

Quote:Most of these used SLS parts are over 25 years old now.
So? They operate in a sealed, lubrication filled environment. The only excuses if one should fail or wear out is using the wrong fluid, neglecting fluid changes for a decade or it was hit by something.

Quote:who knows if the last owner serviced them with new fluid or not.
Thats up to you during purchase. You aren't forced to buy any vehicle. If an owner says they don't know when it was changed, they admit to using the wrong oil or if the oil simply looks black, walk away! If the oil is a little tarnished but the system doesn't settle with the engine off, the rams don't leak and it can support a load without popping the relief valve, it will more than likely be fine and just needs a fluid+filter change.

Education is the key. If you blindly buy a car without knowing what to look for, then as you said, its a crapshoot.

(11-29-2010, 05:24 PM)Jtn190D Forced likes to bash people. I think people with comman sense get your point.
Try posing something that contributes to the topic. Trolling is not acceptable here.
This post was last modified: 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
11-29-2010, 05:27 PM #8

(11-29-2010, 05:00 PM)propigskinSLS I think thats common sense.
Nope. If thats your mentality then these cars are a bad choice for you.

So? They operate in a sealed, lubrication filled environment. The only excuses if one should fail or wear out is using the wrong fluid, neglecting fluid changes for a decade or it was hit by something.

Quote:who knows if the last owner serviced them with new fluid or not.
Thats up to you during purchase. You aren't forced to buy any vehicle. If an owner says they don't know when it was changed, they admit to using the wrong oil or if the oil simply looks black, walk away! If the oil is a little tarnished but the system doesn't settle with the engine off, the rams don't leak and it can support a load without popping the relief valve, it will more than likely be fine and just needs a fluid+filter change.

Education is the key. If you blindly buy a car without knowing what to look for, then as you said, its a crapshoot.

(11-29-2010, 05:24 PM)Jtn190D Forced likes to bash people. I think people with comman sense get your point.
Try posing something that contributes to the topic. Trolling is not acceptable here.

winmutt
bitbanger

11-29-2010, 05:36 PM #9
(11-29-2010, 05:27 PM)ForcedInduction

That is not entirely true. Anything that moves is going to wear on the system. Even with proper fluid changes dirt and grit can be introduced to the system that will degrade the valves, shocks and pump.

I see no trashing here. He has a valid point. These cars are old and frequently have neglected maintenance. If someone is not game for constant failure than a new car is what they need.
This post was last modified: 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM by winmutt.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM #9

(11-29-2010, 05:27 PM)ForcedInduction

That is not entirely true. Anything that moves is going to wear on the system. Even with proper fluid changes dirt and grit can be introduced to the system that will degrade the valves, shocks and pump.

I see no trashing here. He has a valid point. These cars are old and frequently have neglected maintenance. If someone is not game for constant failure than a new car is what they need.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-29-2010, 05:46 PM #10
(11-29-2010, 05:36 PM)winmutt dirt and grit can be introduced to the system that will degrade the valves, shocks and pump.
Only if its introduced during the fluid/filter change, checking the level, the filter isn't properly seated or one of the caps has a broken seal. During normal operation there should be no way for dirt to enter the system, thats why the filter is on the return side and not the suction.
This post was last modified: 11-29-2010, 05:46 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
11-29-2010, 05:46 PM #10

(11-29-2010, 05:36 PM)winmutt dirt and grit can be introduced to the system that will degrade the valves, shocks and pump.
Only if its introduced during the fluid/filter change, checking the level, the filter isn't properly seated or one of the caps has a broken seal. During normal operation there should be no way for dirt to enter the system, thats why the filter is on the return side and not the suction.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

11-29-2010, 06:53 PM #11
$225 shipped to fix it once and never ever worry about it again seems like a decent upgrade and a good deal to me!

I personally see no advantage to having the self leveling system unless you over load the crap out of it well beyond the manufactures specs anyways!

It's just a lot simpler with out it! If i had a 300td I would do it!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
11-29-2010, 06:53 PM #11

$225 shipped to fix it once and never ever worry about it again seems like a decent upgrade and a good deal to me!

I personally see no advantage to having the self leveling system unless you over load the crap out of it well beyond the manufactures specs anyways!

It's just a lot simpler with out it! If i had a 300td I would do it!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

Jtn190D
MERCEDES DIESEL POWER!

11-29-2010, 07:58 PM #12
It's opinion. If I would have to mass with SLS it might get old. I see No reason why theres a problem with him posting this spring conversion thing, if people don't want that's there choice. For me I would rather have it simple. And I'm sure there are other people who have the same opinion.
This post was last modified: 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM by Jtn190D.
Jtn190D
11-29-2010, 07:58 PM #12

It's opinion. If I would have to mass with SLS it might get old. I see No reason why theres a problem with him posting this spring conversion thing, if people don't want that's there choice. For me I would rather have it simple. And I'm sure there are other people who have the same opinion.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average