STD Maintenance General Rebuilt engines

Rebuilt engines

Rebuilt engines

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cbryan0222
K26-2

11-24-2010, 09:03 PM #1
I was considering buying a rebuit engine from a place out of iowa and was curiuos as to what to expect out of one or if i'd be better off finding one that just has a rough body but still runs good. The rebuilds they have right now were completly rebuilt. ( turbos, injectors, pump, block, pistons and everything) but they have about 100 to 150 thousand mils since they rebuild. The compression is supposed to be good on all cylinders and all good engines. I just havent ever talked to anyone that has dealt with them. Any info would help.
cbryan0222
11-24-2010, 09:03 PM #1

I was considering buying a rebuit engine from a place out of iowa and was curiuos as to what to expect out of one or if i'd be better off finding one that just has a rough body but still runs good. The rebuilds they have right now were completly rebuilt. ( turbos, injectors, pump, block, pistons and everything) but they have about 100 to 150 thousand mils since they rebuild. The compression is supposed to be good on all cylinders and all good engines. I just havent ever talked to anyone that has dealt with them. Any info would help.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-24-2010, 09:21 PM #2
(11-24-2010, 09:03 PM)cbryan0222 The rebuilds they have right now were completly rebuilt. ( turbos, injectors, pump, block, pistons and everything) but they have about 100 to 150 thousand mils since they rebuild.
The "XXXk miles since it was rebuilt" line is a huge red flag for a scam. Unless they come with documentation and have new riveted-on serial number they aren't rebuilt.
ForcedInduction
11-24-2010, 09:21 PM #2

(11-24-2010, 09:03 PM)cbryan0222 The rebuilds they have right now were completly rebuilt. ( turbos, injectors, pump, block, pistons and everything) but they have about 100 to 150 thousand mils since they rebuild.
The "XXXk miles since it was rebuilt" line is a huge red flag for a scam. Unless they come with documentation and have new riveted-on serial number they aren't rebuilt.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

11-25-2010, 06:16 PM #3
(11-24-2010, 09:21 PM)ForcedInduction The "XXXk miles since it was rebuilt" line is a huge red flag for a scam. Unless they come with documentation and have new riveted-on serial number they aren't rebuilt.

Well, they may not have a serial-number or documentation--But That means Nothing--they could well be re-built, and excellent. Such documents and numbers are easy to fake anyway if you know how....

Anyhow--What IS a huge Red-Flag, is the fact they've done 100-150 Thousand Miles, and gawd knows what else has happened to them during this time...

Doubt they can prove what sort of service records the engines have had either, how many missed valve adjustments and oil-changes....
--same could be said about Any second-hand engine however

Leave well alone would be my advice--Unless they give you a cast iron 1 year's warranty signed by a Judge!...Big Grin

Find a good motor in a rusted hulk, test it well (oil-press, compressions, clean inside, blow-by etc....) and buy that. You'll be glad of the extra spare-parts you'll get for 'free'Big Grin

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
11-25-2010, 06:16 PM #3

(11-24-2010, 09:21 PM)ForcedInduction The "XXXk miles since it was rebuilt" line is a huge red flag for a scam. Unless they come with documentation and have new riveted-on serial number they aren't rebuilt.

Well, they may not have a serial-number or documentation--But That means Nothing--they could well be re-built, and excellent. Such documents and numbers are easy to fake anyway if you know how....

Anyhow--What IS a huge Red-Flag, is the fact they've done 100-150 Thousand Miles, and gawd knows what else has happened to them during this time...

Doubt they can prove what sort of service records the engines have had either, how many missed valve adjustments and oil-changes....
--same could be said about Any second-hand engine however

Leave well alone would be my advice--Unless they give you a cast iron 1 year's warranty signed by a Judge!...Big Grin

Find a good motor in a rusted hulk, test it well (oil-press, compressions, clean inside, blow-by etc....) and buy that. You'll be glad of the extra spare-parts you'll get for 'free'Big Grin

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

11-25-2010, 07:17 PM #4
I would always be cautious of rebuilds! Who rebuilt it and what quality parts did they use and how well did they rebuild it did they use a torque wrench? I would rather have a factory built engine with 150k than a rebuilt with 50k

I knew a guy that built GSXR race engines and he didn't even own a torque wrench! on the wall at his shop he had ER written on the wall for con rods and GER for the mains! the sound he would grunt to know how tight they where! and he was curious why his engines blew up at almost every race!
This post was last modified: 11-25-2010, 07:18 PM by willbhere4u.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
11-25-2010, 07:17 PM #4

I would always be cautious of rebuilds! Who rebuilt it and what quality parts did they use and how well did they rebuild it did they use a torque wrench? I would rather have a factory built engine with 150k than a rebuilt with 50k

I knew a guy that built GSXR race engines and he didn't even own a torque wrench! on the wall at his shop he had ER written on the wall for con rods and GER for the mains! the sound he would grunt to know how tight they where! and he was curious why his engines blew up at almost every race!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

cbryan0222
K26-2

11-25-2010, 10:36 PM #5
thank you all for the advice. i was kind of leary about the engines anyways. I'll just continue to keep my eye out for another car. Thank you
cbryan0222
11-25-2010, 10:36 PM #5

thank you all for the advice. i was kind of leary about the engines anyways. I'll just continue to keep my eye out for another car. Thank you

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average