STD Other Open a nOOb's stupid questions...

a nOOb's stupid questions...

a nOOb's stupid questions...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mylesofsmyles
Volvo Tweaker

11-22-2010, 01:19 AM #1
Hey All:

Check my avatar, i'm pretty green here. I drive a '79 Volvo 242 on the daily and am making the final tweeks on my late model 740 turbo intercooled swap...that's right, yanked the old Bosch K-Jetronic equipped B21F for an 8 year newer B23FT with intercooler, using the Bosch LH-Tronic fuel injection and EZK ignition...it runs, just running 10% too rich right now, so trying to diagnose why.

I've got a burning desire to own a w123 turbo diesel wagon, and make it a butchered out daily driver...well, not really, i wanna keep it remotely stock looking, just way lower and I want an insane power plant pushing 6 forward gears.

I've read a little bit about OM606 swaps, and it's got me intrigued, to say the least.

Honestly though, I read the posts in the performance section of this forum and get a little lost...I guess diesel engines are configured a little differently than gasoline engines, and the means to tune them are very, very different.

Injection pumps?
Injector solenoids?
Mana pumps...or whatever?

My real question is, do you have any good resources for me to learn the basics behind Benz diesel engines and the common tweeks that are made to them in the interest of power?

I've seen a few setups with Eaton M90 superchargers...fed by the Holset turbochargers...way cool. I'm not much of a fabricator though, so does someone have a production mounting plate to make an Eaton M90 bolt up to an OM606?

I know I'll have to take this project bit by bit, as usual with all my projects, so a start would be to get a w123 TD...just patiently waiting on the right deal...these rides are a lot more sought after than I had anticipated.

Cheers!
Mylesofsmyles
11-22-2010, 01:19 AM #1

Hey All:

Check my avatar, i'm pretty green here. I drive a '79 Volvo 242 on the daily and am making the final tweeks on my late model 740 turbo intercooled swap...that's right, yanked the old Bosch K-Jetronic equipped B21F for an 8 year newer B23FT with intercooler, using the Bosch LH-Tronic fuel injection and EZK ignition...it runs, just running 10% too rich right now, so trying to diagnose why.

I've got a burning desire to own a w123 turbo diesel wagon, and make it a butchered out daily driver...well, not really, i wanna keep it remotely stock looking, just way lower and I want an insane power plant pushing 6 forward gears.

I've read a little bit about OM606 swaps, and it's got me intrigued, to say the least.

Honestly though, I read the posts in the performance section of this forum and get a little lost...I guess diesel engines are configured a little differently than gasoline engines, and the means to tune them are very, very different.

Injection pumps?
Injector solenoids?
Mana pumps...or whatever?

My real question is, do you have any good resources for me to learn the basics behind Benz diesel engines and the common tweeks that are made to them in the interest of power?

I've seen a few setups with Eaton M90 superchargers...fed by the Holset turbochargers...way cool. I'm not much of a fabricator though, so does someone have a production mounting plate to make an Eaton M90 bolt up to an OM606?

I know I'll have to take this project bit by bit, as usual with all my projects, so a start would be to get a w123 TD...just patiently waiting on the right deal...these rides are a lot more sought after than I had anticipated.

Cheers!

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-22-2010, 02:33 AM #2
(11-22-2010, 01:19 AM)Mylesofsmyles w123 TD

If you want power or plan on ever swapping a 606 get a W124 300TD.
ForcedInduction
11-22-2010, 02:33 AM #2

(11-22-2010, 01:19 AM)Mylesofsmyles w123 TD

If you want power or plan on ever swapping a 606 get a W124 300TD.

Mylesofsmyles
Volvo Tweaker

11-22-2010, 03:18 AM #3
not diggin on the w123 OM 606 swap?

maybe I'm talkin out my a** right now, considering i'm just dipping my feet in the pool of Diesel Benz knowledge, but it seems fairly (i say that loosly) straight forward swap.

from what I've read, sounds like i might have a massive electronic riddle ahead of me with the OM606 ecu...Don't know what CAN bus is but doesn't it have something do do with the engine and computer communicating to one another? Any way to trick the system and let the engine run stand-alone and run it in front of a 6-speed manual?

maybe a 603 would be easier.

yeah, the w124 is nice, but i just melt at the sight of the w123, with those beautiful polished bumpers...real bumpers and those round headlamps and fogs...just a prettier car all together.

honestly, if it came down to it, i'd be content with the turbo 617 in the w123 td over the w124...i just don't see myself owning one of those boxes.
Mylesofsmyles
11-22-2010, 03:18 AM #3

not diggin on the w123 OM 606 swap?

maybe I'm talkin out my a** right now, considering i'm just dipping my feet in the pool of Diesel Benz knowledge, but it seems fairly (i say that loosly) straight forward swap.

from what I've read, sounds like i might have a massive electronic riddle ahead of me with the OM606 ecu...Don't know what CAN bus is but doesn't it have something do do with the engine and computer communicating to one another? Any way to trick the system and let the engine run stand-alone and run it in front of a 6-speed manual?

maybe a 603 would be easier.

yeah, the w124 is nice, but i just melt at the sight of the w123, with those beautiful polished bumpers...real bumpers and those round headlamps and fogs...just a prettier car all together.

honestly, if it came down to it, i'd be content with the turbo 617 in the w123 td over the w124...i just don't see myself owning one of those boxes.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-22-2010, 04:23 AM #4
(11-22-2010, 03:18 AM)Mylesofsmyles but it seems fairly (i say that loosly) straight forward swap.
For a W124 it would be a nearly bolt-in swap besides the intercooler.

Quote:from what I've read, sounds like i might have a massive electronic riddle ahead of me with the OM606 ecu
Answer: Put the pump from the W124's engine on it.
ForcedInduction
11-22-2010, 04:23 AM #4

(11-22-2010, 03:18 AM)Mylesofsmyles but it seems fairly (i say that loosly) straight forward swap.
For a W124 it would be a nearly bolt-in swap besides the intercooler.

Quote:from what I've read, sounds like i might have a massive electronic riddle ahead of me with the OM606 ecu
Answer: Put the pump from the W124's engine on it.

Mylesofsmyles
Volvo Tweaker

11-22-2010, 04:39 AM #5
werd, i've heard of use of the 603(?) pump...i suppose it just wouldn't be worth the effort trying to decode that 606 injection pump; figured though, that there would be some benefit to the 606 electronics, and an aftermarket chipset could boost its potential...though I don't really know what that's worth.

for a w123, you use mounts for a m110+ some spacers, i think? yeah, bolt in with use of spacers...i'd still have to plumb the intercooler, which doesn't sound like rocket science. and i'm sure there'll be some more headaches too; again, I'm no fabricator so can't really do anything with a lathe or welder for that matter...learning to weld, but not there yet.

not really looking to make any more than 400hp...350 would be fine. figured i'd start with the om606...eaton m90 doesn't sound bolt in, so don't know if i'm there yet, so maybe start with some more turbo boost. any easy upgrades for the turbos while retaining the stock MBZ manifold? On the Volvo, they use the Mitsubishi turbos so one with the stock 13c turbo can replace the turbine and cold side with the bigger 15g and retain the 13c cold side...spools the same cuz the hot side is the same but higher flow of air on the cold side...cool idea to me.

anything like that for the 606?
Mylesofsmyles
11-22-2010, 04:39 AM #5

werd, i've heard of use of the 603(?) pump...i suppose it just wouldn't be worth the effort trying to decode that 606 injection pump; figured though, that there would be some benefit to the 606 electronics, and an aftermarket chipset could boost its potential...though I don't really know what that's worth.

for a w123, you use mounts for a m110+ some spacers, i think? yeah, bolt in with use of spacers...i'd still have to plumb the intercooler, which doesn't sound like rocket science. and i'm sure there'll be some more headaches too; again, I'm no fabricator so can't really do anything with a lathe or welder for that matter...learning to weld, but not there yet.

not really looking to make any more than 400hp...350 would be fine. figured i'd start with the om606...eaton m90 doesn't sound bolt in, so don't know if i'm there yet, so maybe start with some more turbo boost. any easy upgrades for the turbos while retaining the stock MBZ manifold? On the Volvo, they use the Mitsubishi turbos so one with the stock 13c turbo can replace the turbine and cold side with the bigger 15g and retain the 13c cold side...spools the same cuz the hot side is the same but higher flow of air on the cold side...cool idea to me.

anything like that for the 606?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average