STD Other Open Dirty words about hybrids--Prius vs. H2

Dirty words about hybrids--Prius vs. H2

Dirty words about hybrids--Prius vs. H2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silberpfeil
Slowly Sideways

11-11-2010, 12:56 PM #1
Since some of us have talked about hybrids before I thought some of you might find an environmental comparison between the Prius and the Hummer H2 (non-hybrid) interesting. If nothing else, this part I particularly loved:
"It is only slowly being revealed that the nickel batteries that hybrids use are not environmentally friendly. The nickel for the Prius is produced in Sudbury, Ontario. According to Demorro, " This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the 'dead zone' around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles." Toyota produces 1,000 tons annually. The production of the batteries does not end in Canada, the nickel is then sent off to a refinery in Europe and then off to China and finally it ends up in finished form in Japan. This in turn uses more energy to create the batteries since it involves many factories all over the world."

Complete article--wished it had more detail

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/03/t...icien.html

love to hear what you guys think....

"Molly" Jan. '84 black/tan 300d 180k miles, two owner car
Silberpfeil
11-11-2010, 12:56 PM #1

Since some of us have talked about hybrids before I thought some of you might find an environmental comparison between the Prius and the Hummer H2 (non-hybrid) interesting. If nothing else, this part I particularly loved:
"It is only slowly being revealed that the nickel batteries that hybrids use are not environmentally friendly. The nickel for the Prius is produced in Sudbury, Ontario. According to Demorro, " This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the 'dead zone' around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles." Toyota produces 1,000 tons annually. The production of the batteries does not end in Canada, the nickel is then sent off to a refinery in Europe and then off to China and finally it ends up in finished form in Japan. This in turn uses more energy to create the batteries since it involves many factories all over the world."

Complete article--wished it had more detail

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/03/t...icien.html

love to hear what you guys think....

"Molly" Jan. '84 black/tan 300d 180k miles, two owner car

larsalan
Superturbo

11-11-2010, 01:04 PM #2
eco friendly biodiesel is a better way to save the planet. My dad said he figures the "carbon foot-print" of his f250 turbodiesel is probably the same as a prius. Because of all the energy that goes into just making the prius in the first place. Shipping the parts for it all over the world. The situation is very political and profit driven certainly.
People need to stop focusing on consumerism and that will slow the use of our planet's resources.

also

vw tdi > prius

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
11-11-2010, 01:04 PM #2

eco friendly biodiesel is a better way to save the planet. My dad said he figures the "carbon foot-print" of his f250 turbodiesel is probably the same as a prius. Because of all the energy that goes into just making the prius in the first place. Shipping the parts for it all over the world. The situation is very political and profit driven certainly.
People need to stop focusing on consumerism and that will slow the use of our planet's resources.

also

vw tdi > prius

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

winmutt
bitbanger

11-12-2010, 04:52 PM #3
There are other articles refuting this...

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
11-12-2010, 04:52 PM #3

There are other articles refuting this...

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

sentiplum
Banned

11-17-2010, 08:36 AM #4
uhmm hybrids still uses fuel right? I mean, they are still emitting poisonous gases whenever they are used. I believe that electric cars are still ok, and hybrids should be improved in order to prove their existence.
sentiplum
11-17-2010, 08:36 AM #4

uhmm hybrids still uses fuel right? I mean, they are still emitting poisonous gases whenever they are used. I believe that electric cars are still ok, and hybrids should be improved in order to prove their existence.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-17-2010, 10:40 AM #5
Pure electric cars are worse. The emissions limits for powerplants is much higher per Kw than an IC engine, plus "green" laws allow them to buy "carbon credits" when they have higher than allowed emissions.

Not to mention wind farms killing birds, dams killing fish, nuke mines destroying thousands of acres per pit, etc etc.

EVERY source of power has its nature harming emissions. Even getting your ass on a bike or walking consumes energy that had to be farmed or raised.
This post was last modified: 11-17-2010, 10:41 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
11-17-2010, 10:40 AM #5

Pure electric cars are worse. The emissions limits for powerplants is much higher per Kw than an IC engine, plus "green" laws allow them to buy "carbon credits" when they have higher than allowed emissions.

Not to mention wind farms killing birds, dams killing fish, nuke mines destroying thousands of acres per pit, etc etc.

EVERY source of power has its nature harming emissions. Even getting your ass on a bike or walking consumes energy that had to be farmed or raised.

300D50
Graphite Moderator, ala RBMK

11-17-2010, 11:42 AM #6
The sun isn't even free, once you take into account lost acreage for the collection arrays.

1990 Power Ram 50 V6 SOHC 24V 6g72

I can be wrong, don't take everything I say as verbatim, please fact-check first.
My posts are my personal opinions and thoughts, unless otherwise noted.
300D50
11-17-2010, 11:42 AM #6

The sun isn't even free, once you take into account lost acreage for the collection arrays.

I can be wrong, don't take everything I say as verbatim, please fact-check first.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-17-2010, 11:51 AM #7
And we must not forget that they increase global cooling since the sun isn't heating up the surface as much. Wink
ForcedInduction
11-17-2010, 11:51 AM #7

And we must not forget that they increase global cooling since the sun isn't heating up the surface as much. Wink

300D50
Graphite Moderator, ala RBMK

11-17-2010, 02:37 PM #8
Touché.

Didn't remember that one!

300D50
11-17-2010, 02:37 PM #8

Touché.

Didn't remember that one!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average