STD Maintenance General OM606.910 Injection Pump Timing

OM606.910 Injection Pump Timing

OM606.910 Injection Pump Timing

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ryanrod
Naturally-aspirated

10-21-2010, 05:18 PM #1
Hey guys! So my vehicle is not running right now because I removed the injection pump and didnt mark the splines where the main shaft connect to the gear on the timing chain. So that resulted in timing that is wayyy off. Its so off that I cant even adjust it within the 15 degrees or so they allow you to tweak the pump.

I beleive I will have to pull the pump, get the shaft close to correct, then put it back in and tweak side to side. Can I do it with the pump still in place somehow?

Lets say I do need to pull the pump and turn the internal shaft in the pump, then reattach to the timing chain... How will I know the right position?

Anybody know the correct procedure?

Thank you guys for the help!

-Ryan Rod

1995 E300D OM606.910 - Black - 212K

[Image: IMG_4334_440x201.jpg]
ryanrod
10-21-2010, 05:18 PM #1

Hey guys! So my vehicle is not running right now because I removed the injection pump and didnt mark the splines where the main shaft connect to the gear on the timing chain. So that resulted in timing that is wayyy off. Its so off that I cant even adjust it within the 15 degrees or so they allow you to tweak the pump.

I beleive I will have to pull the pump, get the shaft close to correct, then put it back in and tweak side to side. Can I do it with the pump still in place somehow?

Lets say I do need to pull the pump and turn the internal shaft in the pump, then reattach to the timing chain... How will I know the right position?

-Ryan Rod

ForcedInduction
Banned

10-21-2010, 06:39 PM #2
Its easiest just to pull the pump.
ForcedInduction
10-21-2010, 06:39 PM #2

Its easiest just to pull the pump.

ryanrod
Naturally-aspirated

10-23-2010, 02:07 PM #3
(10-21-2010, 06:39 PM)ForcedInduction Its easiest just to pull the pump.

Yea I pulled it and locked the cam in place with the special mercedes tool that screws into the side of the pump.

Now the car runs, but I need to do some adjustments. Right now I can push the pedal to the floor and I dont go faster than 45mph and I have a lot of white smoke.

Is this the alda (possibly ada) adjustment? If so is there a post somewhere that shows how to do adjusments on the pump?

ryanrod
10-23-2010, 02:07 PM #3

(10-21-2010, 06:39 PM)ForcedInduction Its easiest just to pull the pump.

Yea I pulled it and locked the cam in place with the special mercedes tool that screws into the side of the pump.

Now the car runs, but I need to do some adjustments. Right now I can push the pedal to the floor and I dont go faster than 45mph and I have a lot of white smoke.

Is this the alda (possibly ada) adjustment? If so is there a post somewhere that shows how to do adjusments on the pump?

ForcedInduction
Banned

10-23-2010, 11:25 PM #4
White smoke and low power is retarded timing, if the headgasket isn't blown.
This post was last modified: 10-23-2010, 11:25 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
10-23-2010, 11:25 PM #4

White smoke and low power is retarded timing, if the headgasket isn't blown.

ryanrod
Naturally-aspirated

10-26-2010, 06:01 PM #5
Car is running great now. I advanced the timing and now it has all of its original power and more actually. I believe that the timing may have been retarded for quite a while now. I think that as the timing chain stretches over time, you need to compensate by advancing the timing a bit. Could this be a reasonable assessment? (I also refreshed the delivery valve seals/washers and all plastic fuel lines. Could make a difference.) Anyway its running great.

Also the alda adjustment on the top of the pump was off. The reason why it was off is because im pretty reckless at times and I was just turning knobs like crazy to make my car run better haha. The way I found the sweet spot was by just looking at the screw that you make the adjustment with. It was stained from being exposed to the engine bay for quite a while, so there was an obvious line where it needed to be set! pretty handy cosmetic observation.

Another thing that I read about on these vehicles is that the gas tank filter gets really clogged over the years and by cleaning it you can get some more power. Ill let you know how this goes!

(10-21-2010, 05:18 PM)ryanrod Hey guys! So my vehicle is not running right now because I removed the injection pump and didnt mark the splines where the main shaft connect to the gear on the timing chain. So that resulted in timing that is wayyy off. Its so off that I cant even adjust it within the 15 degrees or so they allow you to tweak the pump.

-Ryan Rod

Installing the pump:

Here is where I found the info on how to install the pump correctly. I bought the tool that holds the camshaft inside the pump in place. You insert the tool in the side of the pump and it holds the tab protruding from the camshaft in place. Pretty cool! Now when you install the pump, first set the crankshaft timing on the engine. Turn the main pulley to the right until you see the camshaft gear punch points lined up. You are now at TDC of cylinder #1 (0 degrees). You have to take the valve cover off to see this right. Then turn the main pulley to the right to 14 degress +-0.5. Now insert the injection pump. Make sure it is inserted in a medium position so that you can adjust timing equally in each direction, to the left and right. Then once mounted, remove the injection pump camshaft holding tool, put the service hole bolt back in and you will be pretty close injection timing wise. Refer to the following pdf for more detailed info:
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...1-8410.pdf

Injection Timing:

And how to time the injection pump (well kind of, I didnt have the tool for this so I went by ear and test driving around the block many many times. got it pretty dam close) You slightly loosen the three 13mm bolts that hold the pump in place (located on the front of the timing case). These bolts surround the vacuum pump on the timing case. Then tweak the timing with the 8mm adjustment screw that is near where the pump mounts into the back of the timing case. This can be accessed from above, just behind the fuel filter. When you turn that screw to the left (moving the top of the injection pump toward the engine), you advance the timing. When you turn it to the right (moving the top of the injection pump away from the engine), it retards it. Before you go for a test drive make sure to tighten up those three 13mm bolts because oil will leak out where the injection pump in mounted. The engine feeds the injection pump its oil!:
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...1-8300.pdf

Here is the list of service manual sections for the diesel injection system on the 606:
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...chElec.htm

If anyone has questions about this stuff let me know. I went through a lot of trial and error!
This post was last modified: 10-26-2010, 06:41 PM by ryanrod.

ryanrod
10-26-2010, 06:01 PM #5

Car is running great now. I advanced the timing and now it has all of its original power and more actually. I believe that the timing may have been retarded for quite a while now. I think that as the timing chain stretches over time, you need to compensate by advancing the timing a bit. Could this be a reasonable assessment? (I also refreshed the delivery valve seals/washers and all plastic fuel lines. Could make a difference.) Anyway its running great.

Also the alda adjustment on the top of the pump was off. The reason why it was off is because im pretty reckless at times and I was just turning knobs like crazy to make my car run better haha. The way I found the sweet spot was by just looking at the screw that you make the adjustment with. It was stained from being exposed to the engine bay for quite a while, so there was an obvious line where it needed to be set! pretty handy cosmetic observation.

Another thing that I read about on these vehicles is that the gas tank filter gets really clogged over the years and by cleaning it you can get some more power. Ill let you know how this goes!

(10-21-2010, 05:18 PM)ryanrod Hey guys! So my vehicle is not running right now because I removed the injection pump and didnt mark the splines where the main shaft connect to the gear on the timing chain. So that resulted in timing that is wayyy off. Its so off that I cant even adjust it within the 15 degrees or so they allow you to tweak the pump.

-Ryan Rod

Installing the pump:

Here is where I found the info on how to install the pump correctly. I bought the tool that holds the camshaft inside the pump in place. You insert the tool in the side of the pump and it holds the tab protruding from the camshaft in place. Pretty cool! Now when you install the pump, first set the crankshaft timing on the engine. Turn the main pulley to the right until you see the camshaft gear punch points lined up. You are now at TDC of cylinder #1 (0 degrees). You have to take the valve cover off to see this right. Then turn the main pulley to the right to 14 degress +-0.5. Now insert the injection pump. Make sure it is inserted in a medium position so that you can adjust timing equally in each direction, to the left and right. Then once mounted, remove the injection pump camshaft holding tool, put the service hole bolt back in and you will be pretty close injection timing wise. Refer to the following pdf for more detailed info:
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...1-8410.pdf

Injection Timing:

And how to time the injection pump (well kind of, I didnt have the tool for this so I went by ear and test driving around the block many many times. got it pretty dam close) You slightly loosen the three 13mm bolts that hold the pump in place (located on the front of the timing case). These bolts surround the vacuum pump on the timing case. Then tweak the timing with the 8mm adjustment screw that is near where the pump mounts into the back of the timing case. This can be accessed from above, just behind the fuel filter. When you turn that screw to the left (moving the top of the injection pump toward the engine), you advance the timing. When you turn it to the right (moving the top of the injection pump away from the engine), it retards it. Before you go for a test drive make sure to tighten up those three 13mm bolts because oil will leak out where the injection pump in mounted. The engine feeds the injection pump its oil!:
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...1-8300.pdf

Here is the list of service manual sections for the diesel injection system on the 606:
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...chElec.htm

If anyone has questions about this stuff let me know. I went through a lot of trial and error!

Olivier
GT2256V

10-27-2010, 01:41 PM #6
Thanks for all the info.
I think I'll remove my pump and see if there is any bloquage on mine.
Would that be the same instruction to reinstall the pump for a E300 Turbo diesel? I read somewhere I need a "cloche" to hold something in the engine after the pump removal?
Cheers.
Olivier
Olivier
10-27-2010, 01:41 PM #6

Thanks for all the info.
I think I'll remove my pump and see if there is any bloquage on mine.
Would that be the same instruction to reinstall the pump for a E300 Turbo diesel? I read somewhere I need a "cloche" to hold something in the engine after the pump removal?
Cheers.
Olivier

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average