STD Maintenance General What maintenance before bench test run?

What maintenance before bench test run?

What maintenance before bench test run?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ben2go
Diesel Dumby

10-26-2010, 10:39 PM #1
Soon I will be offline for a little while.So I wanted to get this out there in case I run across an OM617.

I've had a rough time finding a running car or a complete car.Looks like I'll be getting a junk yard engine.We don't have any U pull it yards around here,so I get what they bring out.Hoping to find one while I am running between home and Kentucky.

What do I need to do before a test run on the bench?
Pull valve cover and inspect for tight/loose valve lash.Check timing chain.Check turbo.Pull oil pan and check bottom end.Check crankshaft seals.Check linkages.Check filters.Anything else I should pay close attention to?

After the test run I plan to freshen up gaskets and seals.Check and key the timing chain,or replace.Clean and inspect the IP,injectors,lines,and lift pump.Get ready for better factory intake,exhaust manifold,turbo,and nozzles.Once in the vehicle, and running,I will go with the upgraded IP,turbo,IC,and other mods.

How does this plan sound?I haven't included everything just the main things.

1990 Mercury Blue Max Cougar 3.8L with Automatic
Future OM617 Super Turbo Diesel Conversion with T56 6 Speed Manual
ben2go
10-26-2010, 10:39 PM #1

Soon I will be offline for a little while.So I wanted to get this out there in case I run across an OM617.

I've had a rough time finding a running car or a complete car.Looks like I'll be getting a junk yard engine.We don't have any U pull it yards around here,so I get what they bring out.Hoping to find one while I am running between home and Kentucky.

What do I need to do before a test run on the bench?
Pull valve cover and inspect for tight/loose valve lash.Check timing chain.Check turbo.Pull oil pan and check bottom end.Check crankshaft seals.Check linkages.Check filters.Anything else I should pay close attention to?

After the test run I plan to freshen up gaskets and seals.Check and key the timing chain,or replace.Clean and inspect the IP,injectors,lines,and lift pump.Get ready for better factory intake,exhaust manifold,turbo,and nozzles.Once in the vehicle, and running,I will go with the upgraded IP,turbo,IC,and other mods.

How does this plan sound?I haven't included everything just the main things.

1990 Mercury Blue Max Cougar 3.8L with Automatic
Future OM617 Super Turbo Diesel Conversion with T56 6 Speed Manual

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average