STD Other Alt fuels multi-point LPG fogging, worth considering?

multi-point LPG fogging, worth considering?

multi-point LPG fogging, worth considering?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

300D50
Graphite Moderator, ala RBMK

10-14-2010, 09:45 PM #1
I've got a hair-brained idea.

Put an efi injector right at the end of each intake runner, fogging lpg into the head.
Have said injectors synched to the valvetrain via a VR sensor off either a tooth gear on the crank orthe cam gear, add a boost sensor, lpg pressure sensor, some form of TPS, and a lockout valve. Have the pulse width vary based on a user defined curve incorporating boost, tp, and maybe egt, so you can maximise the cooling effect yet still keep from going over-rich or getting too hot.

Thoughts?

Main idea for having it multipoint and variable is to get more even distribution(every cylinder gets it's own metered "shot"), with the added benifit of only having the propane on when the intake valves are open.
This post was last modified: 10-14-2010, 09:49 PM by 300D50.

1990 Power Ram 50 V6 SOHC 24V 6g72

I can be wrong, don't take everything I say as verbatim, please fact-check first.
My posts are my personal opinions and thoughts, unless otherwise noted.
300D50
10-14-2010, 09:45 PM #1

I've got a hair-brained idea.

Put an efi injector right at the end of each intake runner, fogging lpg into the head.
Have said injectors synched to the valvetrain via a VR sensor off either a tooth gear on the crank orthe cam gear, add a boost sensor, lpg pressure sensor, some form of TPS, and a lockout valve. Have the pulse width vary based on a user defined curve incorporating boost, tp, and maybe egt, so you can maximise the cooling effect yet still keep from going over-rich or getting too hot.

Thoughts?

Main idea for having it multipoint and variable is to get more even distribution(every cylinder gets it's own metered "shot"), with the added benifit of only having the propane on when the intake valves are open.

I can be wrong, don't take everything I say as verbatim, please fact-check first.

ForcedInduction
Banned

10-15-2010, 04:40 PM #2
Propane does not work well in IDI diesels. You can only inject a small amount so the cost isn't worth the results.
ForcedInduction
10-15-2010, 04:40 PM #2

Propane does not work well in IDI diesels. You can only inject a small amount so the cost isn't worth the results.

300D50
Graphite Moderator, ala RBMK

10-16-2010, 01:47 AM #3
Ah, yes..
I see now after more research that it would just cause some nasy detonation once the flamefront came out of the prechamber and ignited the propane + air in the cylinder.

Well, nothing lost thinking about it, and I learned a bit more as well, so it's all good. Smile

300D50
10-16-2010, 01:47 AM #3

Ah, yes..
I see now after more research that it would just cause some nasy detonation once the flamefront came out of the prechamber and ignited the propane + air in the cylinder.

Well, nothing lost thinking about it, and I learned a bit more as well, so it's all good. Smile

ForcedInduction
Banned

10-16-2010, 05:27 AM #4
The bigger concern is the propane hitting the glowing ball inside the prechamber. It works great in DI diesels since they don't have a hot/high pressure zone to make it preignite.
My belief is that its always detonating on IDI engines, there is just a point when the fuel quantity is low enough the detonation is too quiet to be heard over the engine/road noise.
This post was last modified: 10-16-2010, 05:28 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
10-16-2010, 05:27 AM #4

The bigger concern is the propane hitting the glowing ball inside the prechamber. It works great in DI diesels since they don't have a hot/high pressure zone to make it preignite.
My belief is that its always detonating on IDI engines, there is just a point when the fuel quantity is low enough the detonation is too quiet to be heard over the engine/road noise.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average