STD Tuning Drivetrain 83 300sd rear diff

83 300sd rear diff

83 300sd rear diff

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rmd2k1
K26-2

10-07-2010, 07:41 PM #1
Does anyone know where I can find parts or a used diff for inexpensive. I am pretty sure I tore the rear diff out of my 83 300sd as there is a familiar grinding sound as I put the car into gear. I have a couple of local Mercedes shops that can locate me something but am wanting to know if anyone knows of any places online that are reputable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rmd2k1
10-07-2010, 07:41 PM #1

Does anyone know where I can find parts or a used diff for inexpensive. I am pretty sure I tore the rear diff out of my 83 300sd as there is a familiar grinding sound as I put the car into gear. I have a couple of local Mercedes shops that can locate me something but am wanting to know if anyone knows of any places online that are reputable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

charmalu
GTA2056V

10-09-2010, 10:44 AM #2
Do you have any Pick N Pull type yard where you live? If so just pull one. your gear ratio should be 3:07. so 82, 83, and 84 will be the same.

The W123 also uses the same Differential, so they will work as well.

The gear ratio is stamped on the housing on the lower L/R corner looking at it from the rear. It is the last 3 numbers.

A shop will charge you top dollar for one. pulling one from the yards is about $85 or so.

Charlie
This post was last modified: 10-09-2010, 10:45 AM by charmalu.
charmalu
10-09-2010, 10:44 AM #2

Do you have any Pick N Pull type yard where you live? If so just pull one. your gear ratio should be 3:07. so 82, 83, and 84 will be the same.

The W123 also uses the same Differential, so they will work as well.

The gear ratio is stamped on the housing on the lower L/R corner looking at it from the rear. It is the last 3 numbers.

A shop will charge you top dollar for one. pulling one from the yards is about $85 or so.

Charlie

JB3
Superturbo

10-10-2010, 07:51 AM #3
you could try car-part.com for national junkyard listings. Great place to see if things are available around your area that you could then call and go look at, or have shipped to you. Ive got leads on lots of trannys, engines, and specific parts off that site.

Ive also used silver star recycling out of CA as well. Positive is that they might be able to find you a rear end with a specific ratio, not a year of the vehicle search. They are very helpful on the phone. Word or warning on them, pricey, and its a national network, so things might arrive from places you do not expect.

Example, i ordered a 2.88 from them a couple years ago, expecting a lovely CA example I could admire, and to my shock, a rustball was shipped to me from North Country NY, well north of me in the same state, and beat to shit. It was the right ratio, but I paid a LOT of money for something that required restoration before it could be used.
They were very apologetic when I told them how messed up it was, and gave me a discount on something else, I would use them again.

An even better idea is to post a WTB on various forums for your rear end and see if other forum members might be able to ship you one, or pull one for you from a local yard. That is also a good option.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
10-10-2010, 07:51 AM #3

you could try car-part.com for national junkyard listings. Great place to see if things are available around your area that you could then call and go look at, or have shipped to you. Ive got leads on lots of trannys, engines, and specific parts off that site.

Ive also used silver star recycling out of CA as well. Positive is that they might be able to find you a rear end with a specific ratio, not a year of the vehicle search. They are very helpful on the phone. Word or warning on them, pricey, and its a national network, so things might arrive from places you do not expect.

Example, i ordered a 2.88 from them a couple years ago, expecting a lovely CA example I could admire, and to my shock, a rustball was shipped to me from North Country NY, well north of me in the same state, and beat to shit. It was the right ratio, but I paid a LOT of money for something that required restoration before it could be used.
They were very apologetic when I told them how messed up it was, and gave me a discount on something else, I would use them again.

An even better idea is to post a WTB on various forums for your rear end and see if other forum members might be able to ship you one, or pull one for you from a local yard. That is also a good option.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

Oil Burner
Turbo Everyting!!!

11-12-2010, 03:58 PM #4
I have a 83 300sd that I am parting out. Its still in the car and I would need some time to remove but if your interested let me know.

08 Ram Cummins 6.7 Mega Cab 4wd Beauty & Towing Mods, 97 Ram Cummins 5.9 Extended Cab 4wd. Engine, Tansmission, and Funtional Mods, 90 Suburban 4wd Stock, 83 300D Pats Car, 80 300CD in Restoration and Fabrication Process( was non turbo...now TurboBig Grin) 75 Ramcharger 4wd Someday Cummins Power ProjectTongue
Oil Burner
11-12-2010, 03:58 PM #4

I have a 83 300sd that I am parting out. Its still in the car and I would need some time to remove but if your interested let me know.

08 Ram Cummins 6.7 Mega Cab 4wd Beauty & Towing Mods, 97 Ram Cummins 5.9 Extended Cab 4wd. Engine, Tansmission, and Funtional Mods, 90 Suburban 4wd Stock, 83 300D Pats Car, 80 300CD in Restoration and Fabrication Process( was non turbo...now TurboBig Grin) 75 Ramcharger 4wd Someday Cummins Power ProjectTongue

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average