STD Tuning Drivetrain Auto transmission to manual conversion.

Auto transmission to manual conversion.

Auto transmission to manual conversion.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bgkast
VGT-Intercooled

02-28-2008, 01:10 AM #1
The following steps are needed to install a 617 into a manual transmission 240D. The steps will be similar when converting a 300D from an auto transmission to a manual, but a few additional things such as replacing the pedal assembly, installing the manual shift lever and installing the clutch master cylinder will be required.

1) Place 617 engine at TDC, Mark the flexplate with line at top of flex plate. Take the 617 flexplate and the fly wheel to a automotive machine shop to have them match balanced. Have them place a reference mark on the flywheel that corresponds to the flex plate. Note: many flex plates are neutrally balanced, but many flywheels are not. You do not want to skip this step!

2) Install the flywheel on the 617 engine with the reference mark in the same position as the one you put on the flexplate. Buy new flywheel bolts, do not use the flex plate bolts (they are different) or re-use the old flywheel bolts. They are a stretch bolt and will likely break if re-used.

3) install the clutch and pressure plate on the flywheel. Use an alignment tool for a S10 (Auto zone Motormite PN14522). Tighten the pressure plate bolts 1/2 turn at a time in a circular pattern.

4) Modify the manual transmission cross member. Use a cutting disk and welder to create a flat spot inside of the original bolt hole on the long armed side of the cross member, an drill a new bolt hole.

5) Shorten the front section of the 240D drive shaft. The new length should be 19.75" from the front of the flex-disk mounting surface to the back of the clamping nut. The whole drive shaft should be balanced as a unit by some place that knows what they are doing. I used driveline service of Portland: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.driveshafts.com/">http://www.driveshafts.com/</a><!-- m --> (They do ship orders)

6) Install the transmission on the engine, and install the driveshaft.

7) Cut 4" off of the end of each shift linkage and thread about 2" of the cut off end using the appropriate metric die.

8) Install the shortened shift linkages and adjust per the Haynes or MB manual.
bgkast
02-28-2008, 01:10 AM #1

The following steps are needed to install a 617 into a manual transmission 240D. The steps will be similar when converting a 300D from an auto transmission to a manual, but a few additional things such as replacing the pedal assembly, installing the manual shift lever and installing the clutch master cylinder will be required.

1) Place 617 engine at TDC, Mark the flexplate with line at top of flex plate. Take the 617 flexplate and the fly wheel to a automotive machine shop to have them match balanced. Have them place a reference mark on the flywheel that corresponds to the flex plate. Note: many flex plates are neutrally balanced, but many flywheels are not. You do not want to skip this step!

2) Install the flywheel on the 617 engine with the reference mark in the same position as the one you put on the flexplate. Buy new flywheel bolts, do not use the flex plate bolts (they are different) or re-use the old flywheel bolts. They are a stretch bolt and will likely break if re-used.

3) install the clutch and pressure plate on the flywheel. Use an alignment tool for a S10 (Auto zone Motormite PN14522). Tighten the pressure plate bolts 1/2 turn at a time in a circular pattern.

4) Modify the manual transmission cross member. Use a cutting disk and welder to create a flat spot inside of the original bolt hole on the long armed side of the cross member, an drill a new bolt hole.

5) Shorten the front section of the 240D drive shaft. The new length should be 19.75" from the front of the flex-disk mounting surface to the back of the clamping nut. The whole drive shaft should be balanced as a unit by some place that knows what they are doing. I used driveline service of Portland: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.driveshafts.com/">http://www.driveshafts.com/</a><!-- m --> (They do ship orders)

6) Install the transmission on the engine, and install the driveshaft.

7) Cut 4" off of the end of each shift linkage and thread about 2" of the cut off end using the appropriate metric die.

8) Install the shortened shift linkages and adjust per the Haynes or MB manual.

PaulH
Naturally-aspirated

03-06-2008, 09:30 PM #2
great info, to clarify, in order to get a manual trans onto a 617 (82 300td in my case) would you need a flywheel from a non turbo manual trans 617, or would a 240D unit work? also, how well does the 240d clutch hold up to the extra power of the turbo 617? I'm very interested in trying this, as i cant stand the automatic trans in this thing!

Paul
PaulH
03-06-2008, 09:30 PM #2

great info, to clarify, in order to get a manual trans onto a 617 (82 300td in my case) would you need a flywheel from a non turbo manual trans 617, or would a 240D unit work? also, how well does the 240d clutch hold up to the extra power of the turbo 617? I'm very interested in trying this, as i cant stand the automatic trans in this thing!

Paul

PaulH
Naturally-aspirated

03-06-2008, 09:32 PM #3
actually, just reread that, and since its for putting a 617 into a 240d i presume that you would use the flywheel from the 240d, that sure does make finding one in the junkyard a whole lot simpler!

Paul
PaulH
03-06-2008, 09:32 PM #3

actually, just reread that, and since its for putting a 617 into a 240d i presume that you would use the flywheel from the 240d, that sure does make finding one in the junkyard a whole lot simpler!

Paul

MTUPower
looking for more power on a daily driver

03-06-2008, 10:50 PM #4
It's better to find a 300D with a manual tranny in the yards to install into your wagon, but the manual in a 617 is very rare here in the usa. Most folks that put a manual into a 617 use dthe 616 parts and this includes the flywheel. I have a complete 617 manual in my garage, but neither want to sell it or want to install it into my wagon(s). One is all stock and the wife drives it, and the other needs the auto for the speed issues.

2005 CDI heavily modified 1984 300TD - Myna pump/TMIC/enlarged PC's/HX30Super/W126 II front brakes/Vogtland springs/EGT +Boost gauges/H4 Hella's
MTUPower
03-06-2008, 10:50 PM #4

It's better to find a 300D with a manual tranny in the yards to install into your wagon, but the manual in a 617 is very rare here in the usa. Most folks that put a manual into a 617 use dthe 616 parts and this includes the flywheel. I have a complete 617 manual in my garage, but neither want to sell it or want to install it into my wagon(s). One is all stock and the wife drives it, and the other needs the auto for the speed issues.

2005 CDI heavily modified 1984 300TD - Myna pump/TMIC/enlarged PC's/HX30Super/W126 II front brakes/Vogtland springs/EGT +Boost gauges/H4 Hella's

bgkast
VGT-Intercooled

03-06-2008, 11:59 PM #5
PaulH actually, just reread that, and since its for putting a 617 into a 240d i presume that you would use the flywheel from the 240d, that sure does make finding one in the junkyard a whole lot simpler!

Paul

The flywheel that came on the 617 from the factory is heavier than the 616 flywheel that most people (including myself) use for the conversion. I have not had any trouble with killing the engine when taking off from a stop, and the lighter flywheel should give better performance.
bgkast
03-06-2008, 11:59 PM #5

PaulH actually, just reread that, and since its for putting a 617 into a 240d i presume that you would use the flywheel from the 240d, that sure does make finding one in the junkyard a whole lot simpler!

Paul

The flywheel that came on the 617 from the factory is heavier than the 616 flywheel that most people (including myself) use for the conversion. I have not had any trouble with killing the engine when taking off from a stop, and the lighter flywheel should give better performance.

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-07-2008, 05:06 AM #6
The lighter 616 flywheel is fine to use on the 617. You loose a bit of off idle torque but the idle is still smooth and acceleration is quicker.
ForcedInduction
03-07-2008, 05:06 AM #6

The lighter 616 flywheel is fine to use on the 617. You loose a bit of off idle torque but the idle is still smooth and acceleration is quicker.

bgkast
VGT-Intercooled

03-07-2008, 03:44 PM #7
ForcedInduction The lighter 616 flywheel is fine to use on the 617. You loose a bit of off idle torque but the idle is still smooth and acceleration is quicker.

It still has twice the off idle torque of my wife's Toyota. Big Grin
bgkast
03-07-2008, 03:44 PM #7

ForcedInduction The lighter 616 flywheel is fine to use on the 617. You loose a bit of off idle torque but the idle is still smooth and acceleration is quicker.

It still has twice the off idle torque of my wife's Toyota. Big Grin

TheDon
606 Power!!

03-07-2008, 04:06 PM #8
with the 616 flywheel you also need to have it neutrally balanced if there is no evidence if it being so

which was stated but is probably the most important step
TheDon
03-07-2008, 04:06 PM #8

with the 616 flywheel you also need to have it neutrally balanced if there is no evidence if it being so

bgkast
VGT-Intercooled

03-07-2008, 05:52 PM #9
TheDon with the 616 flywheel you also need to have it neutrally balanced if there is no evidence if it being so

Not just neutrally balanced, match balanced to the flex plate off of the 617 turbo. The flex plates are usually neutral, but there is a chance they are not.
bgkast
03-07-2008, 05:52 PM #9

TheDon with the 616 flywheel you also need to have it neutrally balanced if there is no evidence if it being so

Not just neutrally balanced, match balanced to the flex plate off of the 617 turbo. The flex plates are usually neutral, but there is a chance they are not.

PaulH
Naturally-aspirated

03-07-2008, 11:03 PM #10
cool, guess I'm gonna have to keep an eye out at the yards now.

Paul
PaulH
03-07-2008, 11:03 PM #10

cool, guess I'm gonna have to keep an eye out at the yards now.

Paul

slave2oil
Naturally-aspirated

04-10-2008, 10:42 PM #11
Good info I'm dropping a 617 into my 240d and I was pretty sure I had it all straight,but it's nice to see it all in a nice neat list.I met someone who used a driveshaft from a 280e manual for his conversion with no cutting,just in case somebody has one laying around.
slave2oil
04-10-2008, 10:42 PM #11

Good info I'm dropping a 617 into my 240d and I was pretty sure I had it all straight,but it's nice to see it all in a nice neat list.I met someone who used a driveshaft from a 280e manual for his conversion with no cutting,just in case somebody has one laying around.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average