STD Maintenance General Having issues starting in 60-70 degree weather

Having issues starting in 60-70 degree weather

Having issues starting in 60-70 degree weather

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rmd2k1
K26-2

10-01-2010, 11:19 AM #1
I have been having a bit of a problem here as of late. When I go to start my car it acts like it wants to start but will not do anything unless u give it a bit of throttle. It only acts like this when the temp starts cooling down outside. I need to replace my fuel filters as it seems to skip a bit at first then it evens out. I am pretty sure the glow plugs are good as I pulled them out a few months ago since it wouldnt start in the summer heat(odd). They looked good. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the glow plug relay or controller is having issues. I doubt its my battery as I just replaced it with a new Optima red top.

Also I have been noticing that there is a lot more black smoke coming out the exhaust since I have replace the whole exhaust with 3" pipe from the turbo back. Is this common with replacing the exhaust.

No modifications, that I am aware of, have been done to the IP or ALDA.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
rmd2k1
10-01-2010, 11:19 AM #1

I have been having a bit of a problem here as of late. When I go to start my car it acts like it wants to start but will not do anything unless u give it a bit of throttle. It only acts like this when the temp starts cooling down outside. I need to replace my fuel filters as it seems to skip a bit at first then it evens out. I am pretty sure the glow plugs are good as I pulled them out a few months ago since it wouldnt start in the summer heat(odd). They looked good. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the glow plug relay or controller is having issues. I doubt its my battery as I just replaced it with a new Optima red top.

Also I have been noticing that there is a lot more black smoke coming out the exhaust since I have replace the whole exhaust with 3" pipe from the turbo back. Is this common with replacing the exhaust.

No modifications, that I am aware of, have been done to the IP or ALDA.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

10-01-2010, 12:18 PM #2
It would be nice to now the car we're talking about, but I'll assume its a 61x variant.

adjust the valves.

visual inspection of the glowpugs does not tell you much.
you need to test them either by voltage drop / resistance or a bench test using applied current.

Other than that, take care of your regular maintenance items, as you have implied.
totaldisaster
10-01-2010, 12:18 PM #2

It would be nice to now the car we're talking about, but I'll assume its a 61x variant.

adjust the valves.

visual inspection of the glowpugs does not tell you much.
you need to test them either by voltage drop / resistance or a bench test using applied current.

Other than that, take care of your regular maintenance items, as you have implied.

rmd2k1
K26-2

10-01-2010, 06:51 PM #3
Sorry about not saying what it is. I have a 83 300SD with a om617.
rmd2k1
10-01-2010, 06:51 PM #3

Sorry about not saying what it is. I have a 83 300SD with a om617.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average