STD Tuning Engine Vito Van tappety Cylinder head!

Vito Van tappety Cylinder head!

Vito Van tappety Cylinder head!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rad Cap
Naturally-aspirated

09-29-2010, 03:52 AM #1
Hello, I run a 99' 112 CDI which has been mapped to approx 160BHP The problem I have is not with the map as it was there before. I have noticed over the past 4-6 months my engine sounds a bit rough.
This happens off boost with the throttle partially open.
It almost sounds like adjustable tappets that need adjusting although I know these are none adjustable hydraulic ones.
This noise seems to have progressively gotten worse over that time period.

I am planning to fit bigger nozzles and a GT2359V turbo soon but need to explore every avenue before I strip the 110k engine.

The engine has always had MB spec oil and filter every 6-10k (miles).
New injectors were fitted @ 70k (ish)
The van runs perfectly with no loss of performance. It's just a bit noisy compared to others I've heard.

One thing I will say is, I took the engine out from another van I had knowing this was a very good engine and that van was rotten. Whilst it was in the air the engine hoist tipped due to un even ground.
I suspect one of us may have disturbed the diesel line as if you rev the engine, sometimes, you can see a few bubbles at the filter housing. And that very rarely shows it's ugly head by giving a lumpy idle for a few seconds every now and again.

There are no codes stored in the ECU.
No EGR valve.
I am mechanically sympathetic and respectful to the motor.
Always use fuel from the pumps (changing supplier has no effect on the noise).

Thanks in advance! Smile
I forgot to mention.
For those across the pond, it's the 2.2 16v OM611 engine.

Wink
This post was last modified: 09-29-2010, 03:53 AM by Rad Cap.
Rad Cap
09-29-2010, 03:52 AM #1

Hello, I run a 99' 112 CDI which has been mapped to approx 160BHP The problem I have is not with the map as it was there before. I have noticed over the past 4-6 months my engine sounds a bit rough.
This happens off boost with the throttle partially open.
It almost sounds like adjustable tappets that need adjusting although I know these are none adjustable hydraulic ones.
This noise seems to have progressively gotten worse over that time period.

I am planning to fit bigger nozzles and a GT2359V turbo soon but need to explore every avenue before I strip the 110k engine.

The engine has always had MB spec oil and filter every 6-10k (miles).
New injectors were fitted @ 70k (ish)
The van runs perfectly with no loss of performance. It's just a bit noisy compared to others I've heard.

One thing I will say is, I took the engine out from another van I had knowing this was a very good engine and that van was rotten. Whilst it was in the air the engine hoist tipped due to un even ground.
I suspect one of us may have disturbed the diesel line as if you rev the engine, sometimes, you can see a few bubbles at the filter housing. And that very rarely shows it's ugly head by giving a lumpy idle for a few seconds every now and again.

There are no codes stored in the ECU.
No EGR valve.
I am mechanically sympathetic and respectful to the motor.
Always use fuel from the pumps (changing supplier has no effect on the noise).

Thanks in advance! Smile

I forgot to mention.
For those across the pond, it's the 2.2 16v OM611 engine.

Wink

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-29-2010, 04:51 AM #2
When was the fuel filter last changed? Check that the MAF and EGR are clean as well.
ForcedInduction
09-29-2010, 04:51 AM #2

When was the fuel filter last changed? Check that the MAF and EGR are clean as well.

tomnik
Holset

09-29-2010, 06:18 AM #3
additionally to the a.m. check the o-rings of the fuel supply connectors.
I can't remember exactly but there should be altogether 6-10 in 2 different seizes. Just follow the fuel lines and unplug the connectors.

For the noise: is it worse the first seconds after (cold) start? Is this the same noise that you describe?

Tom
tomnik
09-29-2010, 06:18 AM #3

additionally to the a.m. check the o-rings of the fuel supply connectors.
I can't remember exactly but there should be altogether 6-10 in 2 different seizes. Just follow the fuel lines and unplug the connectors.

For the noise: is it worse the first seconds after (cold) start? Is this the same noise that you describe?

Tom

Rad Cap
Naturally-aspirated

09-30-2010, 05:04 AM #4
Thanks for the reply's
There is not MAF or EGR on this engine. The later OM611 (well as fitted to the Vito anyway) didn't have an EGR and only some had a MAF (only a very small amount).
I suppose this helps rule them out anyway.

I only had chance to flush and change the oil and filter last night.
There was no change in the engine sound and the injectors were all seated correctly.

I do have bubbles going from the middle pipe at the filter to the low pressure pump. I am trying to trace where the leak might be coming from. I will pick up the said pipe and filter later on today and investigate more in to my noisy motor.

Thanks again
Rad Cap
09-30-2010, 05:04 AM #4

Thanks for the reply's
There is not MAF or EGR on this engine. The later OM611 (well as fitted to the Vito anyway) didn't have an EGR and only some had a MAF (only a very small amount).
I suppose this helps rule them out anyway.

I only had chance to flush and change the oil and filter last night.
There was no change in the engine sound and the injectors were all seated correctly.

I do have bubbles going from the middle pipe at the filter to the low pressure pump. I am trying to trace where the leak might be coming from. I will pick up the said pipe and filter later on today and investigate more in to my noisy motor.

Thanks again

plurkje
turbodiesel

09-30-2010, 01:08 PM #5
Those bubbles are always present.
plurkje
09-30-2010, 01:08 PM #5

Those bubbles are always present.

Rad Cap
Naturally-aspirated

10-10-2010, 02:26 AM #6
Sorry guys this rattle noise is still here! Blush
Now I have spent some more time with it; I know it disappears just over 3.5k (rpm) and then the engine sounds silky smooth.

I'm not really concerned about it, but I do want to tune the motor and only want to if it's in 100% order.
Rad Cap
10-10-2010, 02:26 AM #6

Sorry guys this rattle noise is still here! Blush
Now I have spent some more time with it; I know it disappears just over 3.5k (rpm) and then the engine sounds silky smooth.

I'm not really concerned about it, but I do want to tune the motor and only want to if it's in 100% order.

plurkje
turbodiesel

10-10-2010, 01:06 PM #7
(10-10-2010, 02:26 AM)Rad Cap Sorry guys this rattle noise is still here! Blush

No smoke while accelerating?

plurkje
10-10-2010, 01:06 PM #7

(10-10-2010, 02:26 AM)Rad Cap Sorry guys this rattle noise is still here! Blush

No smoke while accelerating?

Rad Cap
Naturally-aspirated

10-10-2010, 03:08 PM #8
Nope, no smoke either.
Rad Cap
10-10-2010, 03:08 PM #8

Nope, no smoke either.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average