STD Maintenance General fuel lines. What is this thing?

fuel lines. What is this thing?

fuel lines. What is this thing?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

larsalan
Superturbo

09-26-2010, 01:29 PM #1
So the fuel tank has 3 or 4 lines coming and going. The supply and return lines had rusted and crimped till they were leaking. I spliced in some rubber fuel line. Now I find another line is rusted through.

There's a valve on the end of it that seems to let air flow both directions.(I frenched it to find out)
So, what does this part do? It was run down close to the ground. Think there is any significance to it's location i.e. height relative to other components? Seems like a presseure release for the air space in the tank but, shouldn't a valve only allow airflow in one direction?
[Image: snap_10.jpg]
larsalan
09-26-2010, 01:29 PM #1

So the fuel tank has 3 or 4 lines coming and going. The supply and return lines had rusted and crimped till they were leaking. I spliced in some rubber fuel line. Now I find another line is rusted through.

There's a valve on the end of it that seems to let air flow both directions.(I frenched it to find out)
So, what does this part do? It was run down close to the ground. Think there is any significance to it's location i.e. height relative to other components? Seems like a presseure release for the air space in the tank but, shouldn't a valve only allow airflow in one direction?
[Image: snap_10.jpg]

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-26-2010, 01:47 PM #2

0.44-0.72psi pressure, 0.3-0.5"Hg vacuum

This post was last modified: 09-26-2010, 01:50 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-26-2010, 01:47 PM #2

0.44-0.72psi pressure, 0.3-0.5"Hg vacuum

larsalan
Superturbo

09-26-2010, 01:54 PM #3
here's one for sale.

https://mercedessource.com/node/5865
Oh ok I guess don't buy there. Superturbodiesel.com hates mercedessource.

Do you think that valve needs replacing? and why does it need to be so far away from the tank? I mean it has like 3 ft of line to run it all the way down there. I guess so no diesel vapor will land on the exhaust system.

Does that paper say the valve will open under pressure and under vacuum? maybe mine will work better without that hole in the line. Should I run it back where it was or is it ok nearer the tank?
This post was last modified: 09-26-2010, 02:48 PM by larsalan.
larsalan
09-26-2010, 01:54 PM #3

here's one for sale.

https://mercedessource.com/node/5865
Oh ok I guess don't buy there. Superturbodiesel.com hates mercedessource.

Do you think that valve needs replacing? and why does it need to be so far away from the tank? I mean it has like 3 ft of line to run it all the way down there. I guess so no diesel vapor will land on the exhaust system.

Does that paper say the valve will open under pressure and under vacuum? maybe mine will work better without that hole in the line. Should I run it back where it was or is it ok nearer the tank?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average