STD Tuning Engine Relationship between the stop lever and fuelling

Relationship between the stop lever and fuelling

Relationship between the stop lever and fuelling

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HughF_UK
GT2256V

09-21-2010, 03:33 AM #1
I'm trying to design/figure out the relationship between the movement of the stop lever and limiting my off boost fuelling (I have a 603, NA M series pump).

Can anyone explain how far down it needs to be held, or am I just going to have to play about with it once I have the elements in?
HughF_UK
09-21-2010, 03:33 AM #1

I'm trying to design/figure out the relationship between the movement of the stop lever and limiting my off boost fuelling (I have a 603, NA M series pump).

Can anyone explain how far down it needs to be held, or am I just going to have to play about with it once I have the elements in?

tomnik
Holset

09-21-2010, 06:10 AM #2
Hi,
the Fins are experts for this.
From my understanding the stop lever internally pulls back the control rod when activated (via vac or manually).
The range for boost regulation must be very narrow and has to be precise (but doable according to the Fins).
Still not clear for me is the interaction with regular stop function.
Does your IP have an ADA? If so you might modify this for boost enrichment.

Tom

(09-21-2010, 03:33 AM)HughF_UK I'm trying to design/figure out the relationship between the movement of the stop lever and limiting my off boost fuelling (I have a 603, NA M series pump).

tomnik
09-21-2010, 06:10 AM #2

Hi,
the Fins are experts for this.
From my understanding the stop lever internally pulls back the control rod when activated (via vac or manually).
The range for boost regulation must be very narrow and has to be precise (but doable according to the Fins).
Still not clear for me is the interaction with regular stop function.
Does your IP have an ADA? If so you might modify this for boost enrichment.

Tom

(09-21-2010, 03:33 AM)HughF_UK I'm trying to design/figure out the relationship between the movement of the stop lever and limiting my off boost fuelling (I have a 603, NA M series pump).

HughF_UK
GT2256V

09-21-2010, 06:22 AM #3
Tom,

I have an ADA on my pump... I was wondering if this could be modified, I have a desciption and cutaway drawing in my haynes diesel book. I'll have a look when I get home.

Hugh
HughF_UK
09-21-2010, 06:22 AM #3

Tom,

I have an ADA on my pump... I was wondering if this could be modified, I have a desciption and cutaway drawing in my haynes diesel book. I'll have a look when I get home.

Hugh

muuris
OM605

09-21-2010, 11:57 AM #4
(09-21-2010, 06:10 AM)tomnik From my understanding the stop lever internally pulls back the control rod when activated (via vac or manually).

Correct.

(09-21-2010, 06:10 AM)tomnik Still not clear for me is the interaction with regular stop function.

The lever has to be modified in a way that it can perform normal stop-function. Make it fork-like, so the cylinder/actuator won't let it go up until boost, but it can slide through the cylinder/actuator rod when stopping the engine.

The other option is to make additional lever inside the pump to the stop-lever axle. Hard to explain, easy to understand when you take pump apart. I've tried these both options on different pumps, I recommend the first as it is much easier to build.

(09-21-2010, 06:10 AM)tomnik The range for boost regulation must be very narrow and has to be precise (but doable according to the Fins).

On a pump with big elements, the range is all but narrow.

HughF_UK, you'll have to figure out the needed travel range through trial and error. Still adjusting my own, as the range is very different with current pump compared to the previous (which had less fueling). In this pump the stop lever axle needs to be almost in 9 o'clock position when no boost (stopping function at 8 o'clock and full fueling at 11).

Basically you can hold the lever in a certain position and press accelerator lever with the other hand for rough adjustment.

This post was last modified: 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM by muuris.
muuris
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM #4

(09-21-2010, 06:10 AM)tomnik From my understanding the stop lever internally pulls back the control rod when activated (via vac or manually).

Correct.

(09-21-2010, 06:10 AM)tomnik Still not clear for me is the interaction with regular stop function.

The lever has to be modified in a way that it can perform normal stop-function. Make it fork-like, so the cylinder/actuator won't let it go up until boost, but it can slide through the cylinder/actuator rod when stopping the engine.

The other option is to make additional lever inside the pump to the stop-lever axle. Hard to explain, easy to understand when you take pump apart. I've tried these both options on different pumps, I recommend the first as it is much easier to build.

(09-21-2010, 06:10 AM)tomnik The range for boost regulation must be very narrow and has to be precise (but doable according to the Fins).

On a pump with big elements, the range is all but narrow.

HughF_UK, you'll have to figure out the needed travel range through trial and error. Still adjusting my own, as the range is very different with current pump compared to the previous (which had less fueling). In this pump the stop lever axle needs to be almost in 9 o'clock position when no boost (stopping function at 8 o'clock and full fueling at 11).

Basically you can hold the lever in a certain position and press accelerator lever with the other hand for rough adjustment.

tomnik
Holset

09-21-2010, 01:33 PM #5
is using the ADA an option?
The concerned lever inside could be changed to a more suitable one.
As you mentioned trail and error for boost fueling and curve depending on boost development.
On my MW the boost lever has a number, maybe they tried different levers during the development of the IP.
Some day I will play also with that...

Tom
tomnik
09-21-2010, 01:33 PM #5

is using the ADA an option?
The concerned lever inside could be changed to a more suitable one.
As you mentioned trail and error for boost fueling and curve depending on boost development.
On my MW the boost lever has a number, maybe they tried different levers during the development of the IP.
Some day I will play also with that...

Tom

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-21-2010, 03:51 PM #6
The ADA should have the same effect. You could remove the ADA's innards and replace it with a normal screw to give more adjustment range.

On the MW pump the ADA/ALDA has enough effective range to pretty much cripple the engine's fueling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2wcLGIrevs
ForcedInduction
09-21-2010, 03:51 PM #6

The ADA should have the same effect. You could remove the ADA's innards and replace it with a normal screw to give more adjustment range.

On the MW pump the ADA/ALDA has enough effective range to pretty much cripple the engine's fueling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2wcLGIrevs

HughF_UK
GT2256V

09-27-2010, 05:26 AM #7
I've had a look over my Haynes Diesel injection manual (MY76-92 Smile ) for the section covering the Bosch M series. Looks like it would be very easy to convert an ADA into an LDA, I'll take my pump off tonight and have a look at removing the ADA and making up something on the lathe.

Or perhaps a PWM actuator and a MAP sensor is the way forward Smile
HughF_UK
09-27-2010, 05:26 AM #7

I've had a look over my Haynes Diesel injection manual (MY76-92 Smile ) for the section covering the Bosch M series. Looks like it would be very easy to convert an ADA into an LDA, I'll take my pump off tonight and have a look at removing the ADA and making up something on the lathe.

Or perhaps a PWM actuator and a MAP sensor is the way forward Smile

winmutt
bitbanger

09-27-2010, 09:06 AM #8
It is the way forward.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
09-27-2010, 09:06 AM #8