STD Maintenance General OM617 Conversion with Questions/Bare with me plz.

OM617 Conversion with Questions/Bare with me plz.

OM617 Conversion with Questions/Bare with me plz.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ben2go
Diesel Dumby

09-14-2010, 12:57 PM #1
I am planning an OM617 conversion on my 1990 Mercury Blue Max Cougar.I wanna keep the OM617 A/C compressor an P/S pump.Here's my questions.

1)Will the OM617 A/C compressor handle R134A refrigerant?
2)If so,where can I find the correct fittings for the OM617 A/C compressor?
3)Does this compressor need oil added in through the hose fitting?
4)If so,how much oil and what type?
5)Will the OM617 P/S pump handle power steering and a brake hydro booster?
6)If so,where do I find the fittings for the P/S pump?
7)Is there anyway to mount the oil sum and pump on the rear of the engine?
This is just wishful thinking but,,,I can do the swap with the front sump.

LINK TO MY CONVERSION Q&A THREAD WITH MORE INFO WITH PICS.

ADMIN/MODS,
Sorry if this is in the wrong location.It seemed to me that fittings for the Benz A/C compressor and P/S pump would be more of an engine maintenance issue.Also my other questions seemed so as well.If I am wrong, please let me know.
This post was last modified: 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM by ben2go.

1990 Mercury Blue Max Cougar 3.8L with Automatic
Future OM617 Super Turbo Diesel Conversion with T56 6 Speed Manual
ben2go
09-14-2010, 12:57 PM #1

I am planning an OM617 conversion on my 1990 Mercury Blue Max Cougar.I wanna keep the OM617 A/C compressor an P/S pump.Here's my questions.

1)Will the OM617 A/C compressor handle R134A refrigerant?
2)If so,where can I find the correct fittings for the OM617 A/C compressor?
3)Does this compressor need oil added in through the hose fitting?
4)If so,how much oil and what type?
5)Will the OM617 P/S pump handle power steering and a brake hydro booster?
6)If so,where do I find the fittings for the P/S pump?
7)Is there anyway to mount the oil sum and pump on the rear of the engine?
This is just wishful thinking but,,,I can do the swap with the front sump.

LINK TO MY CONVERSION Q&A THREAD WITH MORE INFO WITH PICS.

ADMIN/MODS,
Sorry if this is in the wrong location.It seemed to me that fittings for the Benz A/C compressor and P/S pump would be more of an engine maintenance issue.Also my other questions seemed so as well.If I am wrong, please let me know.

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-14-2010, 06:52 PM #2
(09-14-2010, 12:57 PM)ben2go 1)Will the OM617 A/C compressor handle R134A refrigerant?
Yes.

Quote:2)If so,where can I find the correct fittings for the OM617 A/C compressor?
There are none. Conversions put an adapter cap over the R12 low/high side ports.

Quote:3)Does this compressor need oil added in through the hose fitting?
Yes. It has no reservoir of its own.

Quote:4)If so,how much oil and what type?
Oil capacity depends on the volume of the system. Unless there is significantly more/less volume then the stock engine's system you should use whats specified for the Cougar.

Quote:5)Will the OM617 P/S pump handle power steering and a brake hydro booster?
Yes. Even if flow is a little low, the booster has an accumulator.

Quote:6)If so,where do I find the fittings for the P/S pump?
The return is just a hose barb, any 1/2" hose will work. A hydraulic shop should be able to get the metric fitting and make a pressure side hose.

Quote:7)Is there anyway to mount the oil sum and pump on the rear of the engine?
No. The oil pump is in the oil pan. At most you'll be able to remove 2" from the lower pan.
ForcedInduction
09-14-2010, 06:52 PM #2

(09-14-2010, 12:57 PM)ben2go 1)Will the OM617 A/C compressor handle R134A refrigerant?
Yes.

Quote:2)If so,where can I find the correct fittings for the OM617 A/C compressor?
There are none. Conversions put an adapter cap over the R12 low/high side ports.

Quote:3)Does this compressor need oil added in through the hose fitting?
Yes. It has no reservoir of its own.

Quote:4)If so,how much oil and what type?
Oil capacity depends on the volume of the system. Unless there is significantly more/less volume then the stock engine's system you should use whats specified for the Cougar.

Quote:5)Will the OM617 P/S pump handle power steering and a brake hydro booster?
Yes. Even if flow is a little low, the booster has an accumulator.

Quote:6)If so,where do I find the fittings for the P/S pump?
The return is just a hose barb, any 1/2" hose will work. A hydraulic shop should be able to get the metric fitting and make a pressure side hose.

Quote:7)Is there anyway to mount the oil sum and pump on the rear of the engine?
No. The oil pump is in the oil pan. At most you'll be able to remove 2" from the lower pan.

ben2go
Diesel Dumby

09-14-2010, 08:31 PM #3
Thanks.One more question.The hydro booster I am planning to use doesn't have,or I don't believe it has, an accumulator.Should I look for one that does have an accumulator?The one hydro booster that I set up on a friends Thunder Bird was a direct bolt on, except for the pedal linkage.It came from a 1982-89 Lincoln Continental.

ben2go
09-14-2010, 08:31 PM #3

Thanks.One more question.The hydro booster I am planning to use doesn't have,or I don't believe it has, an accumulator.Should I look for one that does have an accumulator?The one hydro booster that I set up on a friends Thunder Bird was a direct bolt on, except for the pedal linkage.It came from a 1982-89 Lincoln Continental.

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-15-2010, 05:36 AM #4
All hydraulic boosters should have an accumulator. The one you have may have used an external one.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulatio...eg=571.105
Quote:Backup system means a portion of a service brake system, such as a pump, that automatically supplies energy, in the event of a primary brake power source failure.

S5.1.3 Inoperative brake power assist unit or brake power unit. A vehicle equipped with one or more brake power assist units shall meet the requirements of either S5.1.3.1, S5.1.3.2, or S5.1.3.4 (chosen at the option of the manufacturer), and a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power units shall meet the requirements of either S5.1.3.1, S5.1.3.3, or S5.1.3.4 (chosen at the option of the manufacturer).

S5.1.3.1 The service brakes on a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power assist units or brake power units, with one such unit inoperative and depleted of all reserve capability, shall be capable of stopping a vehicle from 60 mph within the corresponding distance specified in column IV of table II.

S5.1.3.2 Brake power assist units. The service brakes on a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power assist units, with one such unit inoperative, shall be capable of stopping a vehicle from 60 mph:

(a) In six consecutive stops at an average deceleration for each stop that is not lower than that specified in column I of table III, when the inoperative unit is not initially depleted of all reserve capability; and

(b) In a final stop, at an average deceleration that is not lower than 7 FPSPS for passenger cars (equivalent stopping distance 554 feet) or 6 FPSPS for vehicles other than passenger cars (equivalent stopping distance 646 feet), as applicable, when the inoperative unit is depleted of all reserve capacity.

S5.1.3.3 Brake power units. The service brakes of a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power units with an accumulator-type reserve system, with any one failure in any one unit shall be capable of stopping the vehicle from 60 mph-

(a) In 10 consecutive stops at an average deceleration for each stop that is not lower than that specified in column II of table III, when the unit is not initially depleted of all reserve capability; and

(b) In a final stop, at an average deceleration that is not lower than 7 FPSPS for passenger cars (equivalent stopping distance 554 feet) or 6 FPSPS for vehicles other than passenger cars (equivalent stopping distance 646 feet), as applicable, when the inoperative unit is depleted of all reserve capacity.

S5.1.3.4 Brake power assist and brake power units. The service brakes of a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power assist units or brake power units with a backup system, with one brake power assist unit or brake power unit inoperative and depleted of all reserve capability and with only the backup system operating in the failed subsystem, shall be capable of stopping the vehicle from 60 mph in 15 consecutive stops at an average deceleration for each stop that is not lower than 12 fpsps (equivalent stopping distance 323 feet).
This post was last modified: 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-15-2010, 05:36 AM #4

All hydraulic boosters should have an accumulator. The one you have may have used an external one.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulatio...eg=571.105

Quote:Backup system means a portion of a service brake system, such as a pump, that automatically supplies energy, in the event of a primary brake power source failure.

S5.1.3 Inoperative brake power assist unit or brake power unit. A vehicle equipped with one or more brake power assist units shall meet the requirements of either S5.1.3.1, S5.1.3.2, or S5.1.3.4 (chosen at the option of the manufacturer), and a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power units shall meet the requirements of either S5.1.3.1, S5.1.3.3, or S5.1.3.4 (chosen at the option of the manufacturer).

S5.1.3.1 The service brakes on a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power assist units or brake power units, with one such unit inoperative and depleted of all reserve capability, shall be capable of stopping a vehicle from 60 mph within the corresponding distance specified in column IV of table II.

S5.1.3.2 Brake power assist units. The service brakes on a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power assist units, with one such unit inoperative, shall be capable of stopping a vehicle from 60 mph:

(a) In six consecutive stops at an average deceleration for each stop that is not lower than that specified in column I of table III, when the inoperative unit is not initially depleted of all reserve capability; and

S5.1.3.3 Brake power units. The service brakes of a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power units with an accumulator-type reserve system, with any one failure in any one unit shall be capable of stopping the vehicle from 60 mph-

(a) In 10 consecutive stops at an average deceleration for each stop that is not lower than that specified in column II of table III, when the unit is not initially depleted of all reserve capability; and

S5.1.3.4 Brake power assist and brake power units. The service brakes of a vehicle equipped with one or more brake power assist units or brake power units with a backup system, with one brake power assist unit or brake power unit inoperative and depleted of all reserve capability and with only the backup system operating in the failed subsystem, shall be capable of stopping the vehicle from 60 mph in 15 consecutive stops at an average deceleration for each stop that is not lower than 12 fpsps (equivalent stopping distance 323 feet).

ben2go
Diesel Dumby

09-15-2010, 07:12 AM #5
OHHHHH OHH KAY.It must have been internal,because it didn't have the little cylinder on the side of it.

ben2go
09-15-2010, 07:12 AM #5

OHHHHH OHH KAY.It must have been internal,because it didn't have the little cylinder on the side of it.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average