STD Other Open Suck through or blow through?

Suck through or blow through?

Suck through or blow through?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MadMaxW126
back from the dead.

09-12-2010, 01:51 AM #1
Well since I outted my other toy, I figure I'd ask some advice since you guys have dealt in propane and boost. I'm building a high spinning small block chevy (327 forged crank .040 over, all kinds of crazy goodies) and I'm planning on sticking my merlin packard supercharger on it. I want to run it on propane. 3 reasons. 1. I don't need a fuel pump per se on it, so it's sort of simplified. 2. Normal liquid fuel probably will not atomize correctly under the amount of boost flow/pressure. 3. 110 octane, easily accessible, cheap fuel. Now with this system I'm going to need 4 cheap impco carbs as the one big ass one i could use for the hp rating is $3,500 used. 4 cheap ones are $400 total... originally the engine the supercharger was used on had a suck-through system on an aviation fuel carb. my question is how well does propane react to a compressed suck through system provided the line pressure is maintained? and would if be an issue if it was sucked through and run through a awic? i'm running all on theory here gents. according to the info I have, it should work with minimal risk.... but any insight is appreciated.
MadMaxW126
09-12-2010, 01:51 AM #1

Well since I outted my other toy, I figure I'd ask some advice since you guys have dealt in propane and boost. I'm building a high spinning small block chevy (327 forged crank .040 over, all kinds of crazy goodies) and I'm planning on sticking my merlin packard supercharger on it. I want to run it on propane. 3 reasons. 1. I don't need a fuel pump per se on it, so it's sort of simplified. 2. Normal liquid fuel probably will not atomize correctly under the amount of boost flow/pressure. 3. 110 octane, easily accessible, cheap fuel. Now with this system I'm going to need 4 cheap impco carbs as the one big ass one i could use for the hp rating is $3,500 used. 4 cheap ones are $400 total... originally the engine the supercharger was used on had a suck-through system on an aviation fuel carb. my question is how well does propane react to a compressed suck through system provided the line pressure is maintained? and would if be an issue if it was sucked through and run through a awic? i'm running all on theory here gents. according to the info I have, it should work with minimal risk.... but any insight is appreciated.

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-12-2010, 10:02 AM #2
Blow through. Any fuel going through an intercooler will have issues with condensation and poor mixture.
Plus the air will be cooled even further by adding the propane after the IC.
This post was last modified: 09-12-2010, 10:03 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-12-2010, 10:02 AM #2

Blow through. Any fuel going through an intercooler will have issues with condensation and poor mixture.
Plus the air will be cooled even further by adding the propane after the IC.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average